A month's CRT Licence

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Can anyone buy a month's Licence, there's no restriction is there?

I'd have thought the CRT website was the place to look.... here you'll mainly get a stream of tangential comments.

(See what I did there?) 

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would have thought it would be (in the main) boat owners who would be wanting to buy one, but, its a strange world we live in.

We had a long, long discussion about this a few years ago. I asked if anyone could licence a boat or did it have to be the CRT registered keeper. The consensus answer I got was "why would anyone want to licence a boat that didn't belong to them?"

This was in the context of CRT issuing 3 and 6 month licenses to CMers. I wondered (IIRC) if a third party could step in and get a 12 month licence but nobody really got my point. 

I also STR a thread where someone managed to get a 24 month licence...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
speeling

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

The info you need appears to be at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/39926-short-term-boat-licence-fees-2019-to-2020.pdf and yes you can get a months licence. As far as I am aware, you don't have to provide proof that you own the boat you want to licence. 

haggis

That is the way I read it too, it's seems counterintuitive., 

I claim the the prize for longest Word of the Day.

Edited by LadyG
  • Happy 1

11 minutes ago, haggis said:

The info you need appears to be at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/39926-short-term-boat-licence-fees-2019-to-2020.pdf and yes you can get a months licence. As far as I am aware, you don't have to provide proof that you own the boat you want to licence. 

You don't have to.  I can borrow or steal your boat and pay for insurance, BSS (as needed), and licence.  They are the three conditions for having a boat on (CRT) waters. 

It's a bit like the V5 for a car stating "The registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner" but without the registered keeper bit!

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That is the way I read it too, it's seems counterintuitive.

Why?  If I was to buy a boat with a "marine mortgage" if they were still available for boats, the "owner" of the boat would be the finance company, not me, until I had paid off the loan.

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I challenge your counterintuitiveness!

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

That is the way I read it too, it's seems counterintuitive., 

.......and the day is not over yet..........!

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

at least you didn't try to win by shoehorning Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis into the thread ;)

If I was suffering from that I think I’d just say I was ill. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If I was suffering from that I think I’d just say I was ill. 

apparently you can just say silicosis as it means the same thing, and the above was a blatant attempt to be the longest word in English

23 hours ago, LadyG said:

Can anyone buy a month's Licence, there's no restriction is there?

Anyone can pay for your boat license,  insurance premium, boat safety inspection, council tax, mortgage, utility bill  etc    etc

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Anyone can pay for your boat license,  insurance premium, boat safety inspection, council tax, mortgage, utility bill  etc    etc

But not your mobile phone bill!

Why do I have to prove who I am in order to pay my phone bill? Why would anyone else want to pay for my calls? And if they tried, why wouldn’t I want them to?

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

But not your mobile phone bill!

Why do I have to prove who I am in order to pay my phone bill? Why would anyone else want to pay for my calls? And if they tried, why wouldn’t I want them to?

The account for the mobile phone I have is paid by my employer .

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Anyone can pay for your boat license,

Missing the point. Yes anyone can fund the licencing of a boat.

The real question being, can I (or anyone else), altruistically apply to license a boat not belonging to me?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The real question being, can I (or anyone else), altruistically apply to license a boat not belonging to me?

I'm willing to be your guinea pig.  What is your credit card number, expiry date and the 3-digit security code ...

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm willing to be your guinea pig.  What is your credit card number, expiry date and the 3-digit security code ...

I didn't realise you were a disadvantaged member of the boating community, incapable of negotiating the administrative minefield applying and paying for a licence represents to you. You seem surprisingly lucid sometimes.

What is your boat name and number? 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I didn't realise you were a disadvantaged member of the boating community, incapable of negotiating the administrative minefield applying and paying for a licence represents to you. You seem surprisingly lucid sometimes.

What is your boat name and number? 

509241 Good Times.

What's your credit card number? :icecream:

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You seem surprisingly lucid sometimes.

I'll pour another glass then :D

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Only if the license was applied for in the name of the boat owner , and the boat owner had valid insurance and the boat has a valid boat safety certificate.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Only if the license was applied for in the name of the boat owner , and the boat owner had valid insurance and the boat has a valid boat safety certificate.

But you cannot insure something unless you have an 'insurable interest' in the object (ie 'own it').

It can, apparently, be classed as a form of fraud.