Secure Front Doors

Featured Posts

Similar doors to mine I have a Yale that will deadlock about where your handles are  and a 5 lever mortise just below the windows.

Other that that on a previous boat I had a 50x8mm flat steel bar that went from a loop below the doors  to a hasp above but there were no handles to get in the way.

Also replace all windows with laminated glass means they cant be smashed easily.

I could go on........

Edited by Loddon

We have a similar set up but with metal doors. There 'eyes' for a pad lock. On the inside we have, and use, a steel bar that goes across the doors, they sit in cups to secure. A padlock is used to secure. You won't get in through the doors. However, some bright spark about six years ago gained entry through the side window. 

If a burgler really wants to get into a boat he will and having bars across outside the doors advertises the fact that the boat is unoccupied and he will find another way in. Its a bit like having big padlocks on doors. Best to find a solution which increases security but doesn't advertised that the boat is unoccupied 

Haggis 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Remove the cratch cover. With the cloths down, someone can work on getting through the doors under cover and out of sight. On a busy towpath, someone in the open will be much more obvious. Big bars and padlocks on the outside just say "this boat is empty, rob away". Have any bars on the inside. Also makes it possible to remove and get out in an emergency if the bar has accidentally been left in place. Security bolts built in to wooden door frames are better than slide bolts on the surface as the short screws holding slide bolts can easily be pulled out, Security bolts would need the door frame destroying to get out. Suggestions from others on laminated glass also good.

Jen

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

Good point about the catch cover. If we go out for the evening we leave the cratch on the towpath side rolled up as that indicates that's the boat is probably occupied. 

Haggis 

Strangely enough, I tend to leave the one on the offside open.

The doors in the photograph are of very good wood and are all fitted with the bolts Jen recommends.

Laminate glass - possibly with mirror film fitted so said felon can't see in.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Remove the cratch cover. With the cloths down, someone can work on getting through the doors under cover and out of sight.

We were once advised by our local Bobby to always leave any car at home in the garage unlocked for the exact same reason.