Sunken wooden NB on the southern Oxford

MtB

Featured Posts

Passed what looked like a recently sunken historic wooden motor on Sunday on the southern Oxford canal, near Banbury.

Couldn't see a name on it as I passed in the gathering gloom and couldn't find my fone to take a picture. Anyone know any more about it? Which boat is it? Is there a thread on here I've missed?

MtB

Apologies for a very early thread hijack but this seems a good place to ask something I had been wondering. Does anyone know if this is/was a historic boat just past Cooks Wharf/Cheddington?

20140313_123012_zpsphlx6dlu.jpg

Also, what is the name of the wooden boat sunk on its mooring (looks like Steptoe's garden) between Braunston Turn and Wigrams Turn?

Hope you get the answer you are looking for Mike!

Also, what is the name of the wooden boat sunk on its mooring (looks like Steptoe's garden) between Braunston Turn and Wigrams Turn?

Ah well, that one's finally sunk too eh? The bilge pump kicks off every time I pass!

I'm staggered it lasted that long. I guess the battery finally died or the solar panel gave up...

Never figured out the name.

Ah well, that one's finally sunk too eh? The bilge pump kicks off every time I pass!

I'm staggered it lasted that long. I guess the battery finally died or the solar panel gave up...

Never figured out the name.

We might be thinking of different boats. As you come from Braunston there is what I assume is a wooden (motor?) On the left (offside) that is well afloat and as I passed it yesterday an automatic bilge pump kicked in and pumped a load of water out. I noted a solar panel on the roof so I wonder if this is the boat you thought I was talking about? A bit further on from there, in fact it's the next boat after the first winding hole, is a wooden butty that very much on the bottom. This is the boat I was wondering about.

Passed what looked like a recently sunken historic wooden motor on Sunday on the southern Oxford canal, near Banbury.

Couldn't see a name on it as I passed in the gathering gloom and couldn't find my fone to take a picture. Anyone know any more about it? Which boat is it? Is there a thread on here I've missed?

MtB

rkqFc17.jpg

7qkqAWn.jpg

QPNKlv5.jpg

The boat between Elkingtons and Varney's is Hesperus according to the name painted on the port cabin side. From the look of the opening in the hull at the cabin rear at the towpath side the stern is partially ripped off.

Edited by Roadsteam

The boat between Elkingtons and Varney's is Hesperus according to the name painted on the port cabin side. From the look of the opening in the hull at the cabin rear at the towpath side the stern is partially ripped off.

The last time we passed that spot she was there having just been pumped out.

I believe that one is the 'Langho'?

Langho has been sunk at Appletree for about 20 years (that I know of).

Hesperus was taken on by Umbriel's owner after he gave up on it and let BW?CRT have it.

Photos of the one South of Cropredy?

Not sure about the Cheddington one...any photos of the back end?

The float switch could be hours away from pumping but is triggered by a boat passing.

It is logical that a passing boat triggers the pump and is no indicator of the condition of the boat.

Ah, sorry, Varneys and Elkington locks are North of Cropredy

A bit further on from there, in fact it's the next boat after the first winding hole, is a wooden butty that very much on the bottom. This is the boat I was wondering about.

That may well be the 5 plank Ricky butty Ariel, owned by the same person as Hesperus.

They are his home, btw.

Not sure about the Cheddington one...any photos of the back end?

I don't know which it is, but have recently boated past it.

I've little knowledge of wooden boats, but I think at least one end of it has come completely apart, and I suspect it will probably be broken up where it is, rather than any serious attempt made to re-float it.

DSCF8494_zps148e6fa9.jpg

DSCF8500_zps00e86d6c.jpg

I've little knowledge of wooden boats, but I think at least one end of it has come completely apart, and I suspect it will probably be broken up where it is, rather than any serious attempt made to re-float it.

Yes that stern looks seriously bodged.

I don't know the boat but it looks like a chopped down Ricky but I don't know who would have done that back end.

I passed 'Conway' last year between Napton Top and Marston Doles, and it looked in very poor condition. I know the new owners were trying to get to, I think, Bath. It looked broken down and somewhat neglected - could this be the same boat?

eta- finally found the pics I was looking for - NOT Conway!!

Edited by Mike Tee

I passed 'Conway' last year between Napton Top and Marston Doles, and it looked in very poor condition. I know the new owners were trying to get to, I think, Bath. It looked broken down and somewhat neglected - could this be the same boat?

if you mean the shortened Clayton boat "Conway", none of the boats pictured in this thread are it.

I'm staggered to hear Conway described as you say, though. Its previous owner had done a lot of work on it, and it always seemed in pretty sound condition to me - it would need to have been seriously badly treated to have got that bad so quickly.