External Gas Fridge Vent

Featured Posts

I have a three way fridge on board, gas/12v/240v. When running in gas mode there is no external vent, the hot air produced simply venting at the back of the kitchen units through a grille into the cabin.

I consider this unsatisfactory for two reasons. Firstly, any noxious fumes would be put into the cabin and secondly a surprising amount of heat is put into the cabin and, on days like we have been having recently, I can do without the extra heat. Having passed BSC since introduction I can only presume the arrangement is legal.

Has anyone any experience of fitting an external vent? Specifically, I do not want to go through the historic hull of my boat but I would rather extend the existing pipe from the back of the fridge to cabin side height and put a vent in there. It all looks reasonably straightforward. My main worry is the jet from a leaky lockside aiming itself straight at the vent. Can the vent cope with such an attack or do I need to do something with the internal flue arrangement to divert any water away from the flame?

George ex nb Alton retired

BSS says you may not extend the vent and still pass the BSS. The unit has to be installed as it was built, optionally with the manufacturers vent kit (which is not much use anyway) also unmodified

That said, if you were to put a ventilator tube say about 2 in diameter above the top of the flame tube by say an inch so that it doesn't touch the fridge vent and has an air gap then take that nearly vertically to the outside with a vent cover on it I think that would just be local ventilation and the fridge has not been modified.

N

PS Insulate the outside of the local vent as it will probably get hot and will work better if it is insulated.

Edited by BEngo

BSS says you may not extend the vent and still pass the BSS. The unit has to be installed as it was built, optionally with the manufacturers vent kit (which is not much use anyway) also unmodified

That is interesting. The existing flue extension looks anything but original manufacturers equipment, being a copper tube with various bends and joints terminating behind a brass grille in the side of the kitchen unit. I was hoping to produce something much more efficient. The fridge is quite old but if I can source an original manufacturers venting kit, presumably that would satisfy BSS.

There is definitely a risk of CO production from gas fridges like this, I believe. Messing with their installation is not to be done lightly.

That said, they were often fitted with an external flue outlet supplied by the manufacturer. A shared boat we once had used to have one with such a flue going to an outlet in the hull side behind it.

Afaik this outlet had never given trouble of the sort you mention, George, in several decades. It remained in the boat side for some years after the fridge was replaced by an electric one, and was only removed when the boat had a full repaint. I don't believe there were any signs of water ingress when the hole was plated over.

If you could get and fit one of the original manufacturers flue kits I'm sure it would be ok, tho I'm not sure if it could be made to reach as high as you wish.

Assuming the fridge is near or at floor level, an original venting kit unmodified would require an outlet well down the hul side.

It would need to be significantly modified to vent instead though the cabin side, and the BSS specifically disallows this

Edit

I should ad that what you describe as already having sounds to me like it should be a BSS failure!

I have an identical fridge with an external flue fitted above the gunwale . In 2006 the Boat Safety Scheme examiner made a comment in the advisory section that the fridge had an extended flue venting outside the boat . When I forwarded that to my insurer they initially refused to insure the boat unless the extension was removed . I pointed out that fumes were safer vented outside the boat and after speaking to the BSS examiner common sense prevailed and they agreed to insured my boat . The external vent is the approve Electrolux one for caravans ,I don't think they were ever approved for boats ,and I've never had any problem with water entering . Spiders seem to like hiding in there .

We had a fridge venting into the boat as you describe for many years on the last boat, always passed the BSS as it was not venting into sleeping area which officially was boatmans cabin rather than the convertible settee in the saloon. I would be minded to leave well alone.

Flueless gas fridges lead to 'CO incidents' due to lack of servicing. They are not inherently dangerous unless the manufacturer's instructions to annually service the fridge are ignored.

Sadly few people are organised enough to remember to get their gas fridges serviced. More see no point as 'it's working fine'.

Basically, the flame area and gasway above needs to be checked and cleaned. Spiders' webs, dust and dog hairs are the main culprits I believe.

MtB

Take the fridge out. Turn the gas off but don't disconnect it unless you have to.

For an Electrolux:

Remove the two (?) tiny cross-point screws that secure the open-topped metal 'box' around the burner area at the base of the flue.

Remove the gauze burner bit over the jet

Remove the twisted metal and rod from the flue

Clean flue with a small bottle brush or similar

Clean gauze- an air duster helps or a stiff brush

Clean burner jet (small piece of 5A fusewire or a proper jet pricker, plus air duster)

Check that the thermocouple is secure and in the right place

Check the spark electrode is sparking OK and in the right place

Check the flue insulation is OK and secure

Clean inside the box thingy. (Hoover and scraper possibly)

Refit gauze

Refit metal box

Refit twisted metal and rod to flue

Refit fridge. Re-connect if needed and turn on the gas. Check for (and fix!) leaks if you have disturbed or strained any connections.

Check it lights OK and burns with a blue flame. If it's yellow there's something not yet right- try again. Orange, briefly, is just the rust dust burning off

Retire for well earned beer.

Check periodically that it's still burning blue.

N

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just stumled across thiswhilst looking for something else. I had a survey BSS done on my boat to be yesterday and it has a gas fridge with an external flue going up and out the roof. The flue is made from copper pipe.

I asked the BSS man if when i can ever find someone to install a Morco for me, can the 2 appliances share the same flue. He said no, but i can disconnect the flue from the fridge and use it solely for the Morco to save having another thing sticking out of the room.

He said i would be better just venting the fridge into the cabin anyway as the copper pipe has a tendancy to get condensation duild up and then run down into the burner of the gas fridge, or something along those lines.