Supermarket internet shopping deliveries

scuttlebut

Featured Posts

We have had internet grocery orders delivered to various marinas / boatyards in the past but recently tried to place an order with Tescos for delivery to a boatyard (which they have delivered to in the past )--- we got the usual "This is a business address so we can't deliver" - the previous procedure was to phone the customer helpline and they could "unblock" that address and sort out the delivery no problem.

We now understand that "due to an update" Tescos are unable to unblock that, or any other boatyard address for deliveries - -- Computer say NO ! -- they say they are "working to resolve the issue" but as this has been "worked on" unsucessfully for several weeks I can't help but think that either they attach a pretty low priority to this, they can't unscramble their own "update", or are simply no longer interested in supplying to marinas and boatyards which are apparently classed as no-go business addresses.

This could be a problem for anyone expecting to have a delivery during or prior to a cruise, or indeed for hire boaters collecting an unprovisioned boat--- has anyone had a similar experience, or has found a way to confound Tesco's computer ? Failing that does anyone have recent experience of sucessful internet deliveries by other supermarkets?

Perhaps you shouldn't go for the blue & white stripes. I think the rest of their own brand stuff is fine and their "finest" range is very good.

I was once talking to a Japanese student living here who said she found it very odd that the same shop marketed different ranges in food quality. In most other countries they don't do this - they just sell food. Here Tescos sell "Value" "Standard" and "Finest" ranges which I suppose is a reflection of what's still a class-based society and the greatest disparity of wealth in Europe.

Edited by blackrose

I spent 30+ years in food sourcing for retailers (though I've not worked for Tesco)

To all intents and purposes, the quality of their own label products is extremely similar to those of other retailers, (including Waitrose, Sainsbury, Asda, Co-Operative, Aldi, Lidl and Morrison's . M&S do make slight "over-specification" improvements to some of their products in order to justify their 40%+ premium.

These product ranges, generally, match the quality of the 'Branded' products.

The supermarkets 'Finest', 'Specially for You' type ranges are frequently a better quality than Branded products (unless you shop at Harrods)

The 'Value' ranges are carefully chosen to provide a small selection of basic products/recipes that don't fall into the luxury category, but are perfectly serviceable , and normally produce very little profit for the retailer (and can be described as 'best value' for the consumer)

We don't get groceries online but often get wine deliveries, usually from Tescos. We had the 'address is business premises' twice. Once at the VMs at Lincoln although the postcode for the s/stn was acceptable and the other at Brownhills, moored opposite the 24 hour Tesco.

However, we then tried Ocado. We thought the Tesco service pretty good but Ocado beats that. Free delivery in 48 hours where Tesco is usually 5 days. Text the evening before to confirm what time they are coming including the name of the driver and reg. no of the van. Having said that, Tesco has a much bigger wine range!

Regards

Pete

We don't get groceries online but often get wine deliveries, usually from Tescos. We had the 'address is business premises' twice. Once at the VMs at Lincoln although the postcode for the s/stn was acceptable and the other at Brownhills, moored opposite the 24 hour Tesco.

However, we then tried Ocado. We thought the Tesco service pretty good but Ocado beats that. Free delivery in 48 hours where Tesco is usually 5 days. Text the evening before to confirm what time they are coming including the name of the driver and reg. no of the van. Having said that, Tesco has a much bigger wine range!

Regards

Pete

Ocado are about to start delivering for Morrisons

Got to admit i see tesco vans everywhere, but if i have to use their shops i never buy any of their own brand stuff, it always seems to real poor quality.

Lynall

Last week we went to an engine running day at Prickwillow Pump Museum http://prickwillow-engine-museum.co.uk/ on the river Lark and they were selling Hot Dogs, I commented on the quality of the sausages and asked if they came from a local butcher. She showed me the packaging and they were Tesco Finest.

Perhaps you shouldn't go for the blue & white stripes. I think the rest of their own brand stuff is fine and their "finest" range is very good.

I dont and have never bought their striped stuff, and i meant it was their so called finest stuff we always find disappointing and its not like we are some sort of food gourmets, just like decent grub!

I believe sainsburys are now doing van deliveries, now they do good quality food.

Lynall

Edited by lynalldisocvery

I spent 30+ years in food sourcing for retailers (though I've not worked for Tesco)

To all intents and purposes, the quality of their own label products is extremely similar to those of other retailers, (including Waitrose, Sainsbury, Asda, Co-Operative, Aldi, Lidl and Morrison's .

Sorry but I have to take issue on that one, the recent horsemeat scandal showed some Tesco own brand products above all other major supermarkets had substantial amounts of horsemeat! rolleyes.gif Tesco are a textbook example of corporate b*llsh*t 'don't ask don't tell' culture!

Whereas Sainsburys for some time have sourced all their meat from UK sources and suppliers, even for the basic ranges, and it seems Waitrose do the same but go further and work with individual farms.

I've also found some Tesco own brand products to be underwhelming when compared to other supermarket brands, even when the ingredients appear to be exactly the same.

A while ago I saw an undercover TV prog on poor hygiene standards at a ready meal factory in London, carefully peering at the racks of ready meals on screen I could just make out what definitely looked like Tesco Finest packaging ohmy.png So I find the 'Finest' snobbery a bit laughable, it's not just about the quality of the ingredients.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Avoid Tesco's own eggs, I have recently had the unpleasant experience (twice in a week) of discovering something 'chewy' in them,

chicken embryo's are surprisingly rubbery.....

Last week we went to an engine running day at Prickwillow Pump Museum http://prickwillow-engine-museum.co.uk/ on the river Lark and they were selling Hot Dogs, I commented on the quality of the sausages and asked if they came from a local butcher. She showed me the packaging and they were Tesco Finest.

Each to their own but a couple of years ago I started a long running thread on sausages which started because I couldn't stand Tesco's 'finest' --- poor taste & seemed to have condoms for skins.

Avoid Tesco's own eggs, I have recently had the unpleasant experience (twice in a week) of discovering something 'chewy' in them,

chicken embryo's are surprisingly rubbery.....

Thats pretty horrible

Each to their own but a couple of years ago I started a long running thread on sausages which started because I couldn't stand Tesco's 'finest' --- poor taste & seemed to have condoms for skins.

And thats pretty damn funnyclapping.gif

Lynall

Ocado are about to start delivering for Morrisons

As long as they have resolved the issues with Waitrose who's chief exec. was querying whether that proposal contravened Ocado's part of their contract with them.

Personally I suspect there was a element of snobbery on the part of Waitrose not wanting to be associated with a Bradford based supermarket.

We always shop online with Tesco, more than happy, any problem quickly results in a e-voucher for £5-00 or £10-00 having said that Tesco is having problems with their site because for weeks now we have been unable to delete items from our favourites list which is getting loger and longer. Spoke to head office about this and they admitted they were having big IT problems.

Phil

Ask them how they deal with farms.

Don't they get them to sign ridiculous contracts and then squeeze the buying price until it starts to cost them for growing our food? ;)

A timely reminder to all that Brentford now has a Sunday morning market, meat, fish, veg and cheese as well more non essentials. I know money is tight and supermarkets are cheap but if we all started to use our markets and local shops we could drive the prices down and get a better product in the process.

The likes of Tescopoly are not interested in what customers really want, only what they tell us to think we want. That's why they sold us horse for years.

I'm not immune to the whole thing, we only have a morrisons close by and I don't drive so often find myself looking at crap food that some marketing idiot has tried to make look fresh and organic.

Ask a checkout assistant on a busy day how they are and you'll usually get a groan. Ask a market stall owner the same thing and they'll be happy.

Rant over, as you were :)

For years Sherringham fought proposals from Tesco's to build right on the edge of the High Street. Finally the council could no longer afford the legal costs of fighting it and it's being built. There is a large independent shop filled high street and a substantial market on Saturday on the public car park. Cromer 5 miles away has a large Morrisons and Coop, the market has died and the high street is full of charity shops. Probably just coincidence.

But if the majority of us didn't support these big supermarkets then the smaller shops would still survive, simple fact is they provide what the masses want.

So it's not just their fault it's the fault of local communities too.

It is very pleasing to report that due to concerted and continual pressure from the local residents and the Town Council over the last few years that Tesco has recently issued a public statement saying that it has pulled out of trying to open a store in Machynlleth and has put the land it "grabbed" back on the market. Said land now also has a Planning Constraint on it specify the type of development allowed, which cannot be a supermarket.

Interesting that in our area public pressure helped ASDA secure planning permission for a new store. There was some opposition but we have not had small independent grocery shops out our way for years, so it was difficult to understand what the opposition was based on. Plus we have to drive miles to buy our fuel.

The co-op are present in all the local villages but a lot of people are hacked off with their price rigging monopoly.

Fortunately from June 10th. this will no longer be a problem.

Edited by The Dog House

Machy has lots of independent shops, selling everything from chops to computers, glasses to CD's, plus a Co-op and an independent supermarket, and a very active street market, and they foresaw that opening Tesco's would drive the small independents out of business. So they had a concerted action against them and won.

A very pleasing result!

We always shop online with Tesco, more than happy, any problem quickly results in a e-voucher for £5-00 or £10-00 having said that Tesco is having problems with their site because for weeks now we have been unable to delete items from our favourites list which is getting loger and longer. Spoke to head office about this and they admitted they were having big IT problems.

Phil

I don't use the Pestco delivery service but this week in store I had more probs with their self scan system, this on top of big probs returning some faulty kit which their system refused to recognise. I sugested to the supervisor that they might have a sofware problem to which the supervisor replyed "Yes, and don't we all know it". The other staff, doing their best but looking stressed, backed this.

Also, as far as their range of food is concerned, I can't help feel they have lost their way.

Hello Lidil?

taslim.