famliy living on towpath in tent

stu & gail

Featured Posts

just came through hilmorton locks on the oxford canal and saw a couple and youmg child that have set up home next to bottom lock in a tent . i wonder if they will be moved on after 14 days or must u be on a boat?

How sad if they have had to set up home, what does this say about our welfare system. Hope someone can help them

• Greenie 2

Actually....I did see a new 'byelaw' last year...(at the same time they made model boats 'fineable')..that made it a £500 fine for camping on the towpath ?

Did this not get into 'the books '.?

:smiley_offtopic: I thought it was legit to camp on the towpath as long as you don't cause an obstruction - at least it was last time I asked about it on here which was a while ago mind. I suspect the Trust may not be able to do anything about it if it's not against one of the bye-laws.

Back OT-

A shame that somebody has had to resort to that, at this time of year too...

How sad if they have had to set up home, what does this say about our welfare system. Hope someone can help them

It is indeed sad (you might not think so given the standard of some of the posts so far) that someone may be in a position that this is the best alternative. Hopefully something can and will be done.

It may not be the welfare system/authorities at fault though it is not difficult to slip through the net and the folk may have not have approached anyone for help. Seems an odd situation though.

Edited by churchward

It is indeed sad (you might not think so given the standard of some of the posts so far) that someone may be in a position that this is the best alternative. Hopefully something can and will be done.

It may not be the welfare system/authorities at fault though it is not difficult to slip through the net and the folk may have not have approached anyone for help. Seems an odd situation though.

Yes I am sure there is more to it but it is just so sad whatever the reason. My be I was a bit quick with my welfare comment but often the problem is that people do not know what can be done for them

It is a tough one but one thing that occurs to me is that there was a young child referred to in the OP which means there could be a child at risk living in those conditions in this weather so there must be something the LA can do for them (assuming they know of course)

Yes I am sure there is more to it but it is just so sad whatever the reason. My be I was a bit quick with my welfare comment but often the problem is that people do not know what can be done for them

Indeed. It can be difficult to know who to turn to and what may be possible particularly if they have found themselves in the situation due to a fast sequence of unfortunate events. I wasn't meaning to criticise your response but just thinking that there can often be more to it than meets the eye.

just came through hilmorton locks on the oxford canal and saw a couple and youmg child that have set up home next to bottom lock in a tent . i wonder if they will be moved on after 14 days or must u be on a boat?

How very sad that a family thinks this is the best option for them. I hope this is an active choice on their behalf and not a final resort. The 'hilarious' jokes about fines and CCing are making want to vomit.

• Greenie 2

I have just tried to phone canalchef to go down and find out for me but could not get a reply I will continue trying

i was agreeing with you (I think)

• Greenie 1

I have just tried to phone canalchef to go down and find out for me but could not get a reply I will continue trying

Sensible, practical and positive action. Better than a lot of speculation, conjecture and second guessing that tends to appear.

I found a couple camped on the towpath at Sprotburgh last summer. At first I thought they were just happy campers, but then they came out with a loooonnnngg story about having been evicted from their house, and then asked for some hot water to make tea - they had 'only one teabag left' and then started to mention money. I was the only boat there, so the antennae started working, and I was reluctant to leave the boat in their tender care, so gave them a fiver and went back to Donny.

i was agreeing with you (I think)

Canalchef is about he just posted on another thread and have posted in reply to him you were trying to contact him. I would have a look myself but I away just at the min.

This is dreadful. Whatever their circumstances, no one, especially with a child, should be in those conditions at this time of year.

I am aware there are far too many homeless in the country, but a family with a child won't have done this lightly.

When there are so many empty properties, how can this be happening in this day and age. I hope someone is able to at least point them in the direction of help, if not offer a little help where it may be needed.

We don't know their circumstances, sure, but who can look on and ignore a family and child in these circumstances, for whatever reason.

I was suddenly homeless once, and was helped out by kind people who found me sleeping in my car in january. If I was near the area, I would be offering some help...it's a kindness you remember for ever.

Edited by Ally

Have the couple set up home with all their possessions around them, or they just actually campng? I know it is a bit early in the year, very few campsites are open yet, and it is half term. Fishermen regularly camp by the canal for a couple of nights, perhaps the parents are giving their child an outdoor experience.

If not, it is indeed a sad situation, hopefully someone local will find out and offer some help.

Edited by David Schweizer

It would be unwise to jump to any conclusions, or to take any action, without speaking to the family first. What are their circumstances? Are they there by choice (unlikely, but there are some people who prefer an "alternative" way of life). Is either of the adults working? If not, does the DHSS know about them and are they receiving any benefits? Are they from abroad, perhaps Eastern Europe, and came here to seek work but didn't find any? Or, as DS suggests, are they actually just camping for a couple of days?

One's knee-jerk reaction is that social services should get involved, especially for the child's sake, but this might possibly result in the child being removed from its parents. Hear their story first-hand before taking any well-meaning but possibly misguided action over their heads.

Edited by Athy

Dear All

There are NO children camping at the Hillmorton "picnic area". Obviously one or two of us here made it our business to find out who/why etc was camping here, mostly in case it was someone who would steal what was not nailed down but also to find out why whoever they were, and whatever their motives, would have to put up with camping in sub-zero temperatures. What we found was one seemingly very nice lady camping with her two dogs. Her story was surprisingly understandable but very personal and so not what we will share here. Lets just say she was on a quest to overcome a sad past. IMHO Local authorities had failed her and she had no wish to be parted from her dogs. She was doing no harm to anyone, very sociable and amazingly well presented considering the cirumstamces. Then a lucky individual, whom life had obviously treated better, made a complaint and she was ordered to move on. If you see her, stop and have a chat - if nothing else, she will make you feel very content with your life.

• Greenie 4

Dear All

There are NO children camping at the Hillmorton "picnic area". Obviously one or two of us here made it our business to find out who/why etc was camping here, mostly in case it was someone who would steal what was not nailed down but also to find out why whoever they were, and whatever their motives, would have to put up with camping in sub-zero temperatures. What we found was one seemingly very nice lady camping with her two dogs. Her story was surprisingly understandable but very personal and so not what we will share here. Lets just say she was on a quest to overcome a sad past. IMHO Local authorities had failed her and she had no wish to be parted from her dogs. She was doing no harm to anyone, very sociable and amazingly well presented considering the cirumstamces. Then a lucky individual, whom life had obviously treated better, made a complaint and she was ordered to move on. If you see her, stop and have a chat - if nothing else, she will make you feel very content with your life.

Thank you very much for having checked on this poor woman, it a very sad situation, it's good she has her 2 dogs as protection and company, and they'll keep her a bit warmer too.

But isn't it absolutely terrible to see how selfish some people can be, and how would they react if through some circumstances over which they have no control, something simular would happen to them.

Peter.