12v circulation pumps

blackrose

Featured Posts

I was just having a look on the asap supplies website and noticed that they say these Johnson pumps aren't suitable for constant use in CH systems. Why would that be and in that case what sort of applications are they meant for?

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/electric-circulation-pumps/pump-circulatng-cm10p71-24v16mm15l

Interestingly the Johnson website states that the pumps are designed for continuous use.

http://www.johnson-pump.com/jpmarine/products/circulation/cmco.html

Edit: Sorry I meant to post this in the Equipment forum.

Edited by blackrose

I was just having a look on the asap supplies website and noticed that they say these Johnson pumps aren't suitable for constant use in CH systems. Why would that be and in that case what sort of applications are they meant for?

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/electric-circulation-pumps/pump-circulatng-cm10p71-24v16mm15l

Interestingly the Johnson website states that the pumps are designed for continuous use.

http://www.johnson-pump.com/jpmarine/products/circulation/cmco.html

I have one and they whine a bit.

I was just having a look on the asap supplies website and noticed that they say these Johnson pumps aren't suitable for constsnt use in CH systems. Why would that be and in that case what sort of applications are they meant for?

http://www.asap-supp...0p71-24v16mm15l

http://www.johnson-p...ation/cmco.html

Constantt use in cenral heating systems is different than constant use with fresh water.

Clearly the pump is designed for fresh water, ponds water features etc and it's conponants are probably not suitable for prolonged exposure to hot water or possibly pressure that some heating sysems utilise.

There's a cheap CH pump on e-bay that a few members have used 12v I'll try to find the link to it.

Well as it's shown as a 24v pump it presumably isn't recommended for 12v systems ...

Sorry, not a helpful reply but as I don't know the real answer it was all I could suggest

They are available in both 12V and 24V versions, and I am sure Blackrose knows which one he requires.

It seems there are two possibilities.

First, and more likely, ASAP haven't done their homework.

Second, perhaps they have experience of these pumps not being up to the job, and are advising accordingly. But if that is the case, why are they selling them?

Edited by George94

If you remember this thread: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49568&st=0&p=922936&hl=+heating%20+pump&fromsearch=1entry922936

This pump, made by Johnson, turns up relabelled by many manufacturers

It is what Alvechurch fit as a central heating pump on their hireboats

I'd say that was a pretty good recommendation

Richard

I have fitted these a couple of times and in both cases it was for a back boiler in residential boats.

Never had any complaints about them though I did think they were a bit noisy

Mine does not run continuously, to noisy. I am on the second about 5 years I would guess. It is essential that they are positioned not to collect air or run dry at all.

They are available in both 12V and 24V versions, and I am sure Blackrose knows which one he requires.

Yes, I just picked one of the pumps in the series at random - and got the wrong one!

It seems there are two possibilities.

First, and more likely, ASAP haven't done their homework.

Second, perhaps they have experience of these pumps not being up to the job, and are advising accordingly. But if that is the case, why are they selling them?

I think I'll give them a call and put my question to them. I'll report back once I have their answer if anyone's interested.

Edited by blackrose

I've been looking into 12v central heating pumps, all 12v pumps I've seen have a max temperature of only 60 deg C, not alot of use to me, as I want to use engine temp water (via a heat exchanger).

What I have found, Vauxhall Omega V6 engines use an electric coolant pump, which is said to have a good output, and will work at these temperatures.

Found one on E-bay for £40, now just need exchanger, and pipes!

Bod

I've been looking into 12v central heating pumps, all 12v pumps I've seen have a max temperature of only 60 deg C, not alot of use to me, as I want to use engine temp water (via a heat exchanger).

What I have found, Vauxhall Omega V6 engines use an electric coolant pump, which is said to have a good output, and will work at these temperatures.

Found one on E-bay for £40, now just need exchanger, and pipes!

Bod

All the pumps that are the subject of this thread go up to 100 deg C.

some interesting entries, I have been using an ordinary domestic 240v pump running off a small inverter for about 5 years now. Buzzes a bit but is fine tho a bit heavy on battery consumption. Maybe its time to revisit the problem

They discussed it with me when I bought mine. ASAP are just down the road.

What did they tell you?

I called ASAP this morning and they told me that they'd had a couple of warranty returns on these pumps which were refused by Johnson on the basis that the pumps weren't designed for liveaboard use (usual story!)

I then called Aquafax (who represent Johnson Pumps in the UK), to ask them to explain why the Johnson pump specs stated that the motors were suitable for continuous use, if they were unwilling to honour warranties in the case of liveaboards.

They told me that these pumps only have a sevice life of 5000 hours, so although they can be used continuously, if they are they won't last very long! They told me that the pumps should ideally be fitted on a thermostatically controlled CH system rather than being left on permanently, to reduce operating hours.

Very honest of them, but it's not exactly a great advert for that particular product. I think I'll just get a cheapo ebay circulating pump instead and install it between a couple of full bore isolators so I can easily remove and replace it when it dies.

I am looking at this one... My link

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

These look like good value. Thanks.

Will it require voltage regulation? My battery charger and alternators go up to 14.8v?

Edited by blackrose

What did they tell you?

I called ASAP this morning and they told me that they'd had a couple of warranty returns on these pumps which were refused by Johnson on the basis that the pumps weren't designed for liveaboard use (usual story!)

I think I'll just get a cheapo ebay circulating pump instead and install it between a couple of full bore isolators so I can easily remove and replace it when it dies.

I think I'll stick with my screwfix cheapo 240v pump and baby inverter after all :cheers:

Edited by John V

I've just placed an order for the 14w version of the pump Colin posted (there are 3 different spec pumps in the dropdown menu at the bottom of the page).

http://shop.solarproject.co.uk/sp2020-easy-connect-water-circulation-pump-%C3%82%C2%A3230-p-10.html

I think I'll stick with my screwfix cheapo 240v pump and baby inverter after all :cheers:

Having to switch on an inverter to run a pump on a boat seems a bit ridiculous to me.