Terry Darlington Breaks The Ice

Doorman

Featured Posts

While tentatively edging through 15mm of ice on the Trent & Mersey at Meaford Locks today, we weren't too keen on travelling much further, until we spotted a narrow boat approaching from the opposite direction. What good fortune! Someone as mad as us cutting a swathe through the frozen water.

It was only while passing, did we realise it was Terry Darlington on Phyllis May II. The new boat looked splendid, as did Terry in his usual laid back approach. You have to admire him for getting back on the water so soon, following the sad demise of the original Phyllis May. :lol:

Just a mile further back, while passing Andrew Denny's narrow boat 'Granny Buttons', we snagged the prop on a submerged fleece style jacket. I'm convinced it was an act of sabotage, as I've emailed him several times with less than complimentary remarks about his blog :lol:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

We got a fleece wrapped round our prop once.

As is usual with such events, we didn't know what it was at the time - the engine just struggled and stalled.

We pulled into the bank, cut the engine (being careful to remove the key from the keyswitch) and opened the weedhatch, before fishing around in the icy water.

One thing I now know is that sodden fleece has the consistency of decomposing human flesh (don't ask me how I know that) -

Not nice when bare hands close round an unseen water saturated fleece in the murky depths - yuk :lol:

That is wonderful news. I have just finished reading his second book and loved it!

Good to see a boater back on the water after losing one to a fire yes definitely,

as to his books - I'm afraid I find his style is one of the most irritating I've ever read.

I don't know the story, but presumably as a new bespoke boat has turned up in such short space of time it was already in build when the fire destroyed the old one ?

Anybody know ?

I read about half a page of one of his books - then stopped!

You haven't read the granddaddy of the "patronising Brit abroad" genre, then, Peter Mayle?

I tried a Year in Provence both in book form and the John Thaw dramatized version and liked neither, either.

However I do like Mr. Bryson writing about it the other way around.

We got a fleece wrapped round our prop once.

As is usual with such events, we didn't know what it was at the time - the engine just struggled and stalled.

We pulled into the bank, cut the engine (being careful to remove the key from the keyswitch) and opened the weedhatch, before fishing around in the icy water.

One thing I now know is that sodden fleece has the consistency of decomposing human flesh (don't ask me how I know that) -

Not nice when bare hands close round an unseen water saturated fleece in the murky depths - yuk :lol:

Thank god I read that after the event :lol: Just as well I had my 'Marigolds' on though. Even with them on it was extremely cold water down there.

Mike

Cracking.

- I dont really the books or there content but glad to see there back on the water.

Not so much a fan of their books, more of their adventurous spirit! :lol:

Good to see a boater back on the water after losing one to a fire yes definitely,

as to his books - I'm afraid I find his style is one of the most irritating I've ever read.

Well...his books were in the shops in no time.......save the children.....heart foundation.....

I got mine in Oxfam !!!

Bob

I don't know the story, but presumably as a new bespoke boat has turned up in such short space of time it was already in build when the fire destroyed the old one ?

Yeah, i thought that.

- Or alternatively its not a new build?

- or alternatively it's a new build but 'off the shelf'

(Though unlikely I would have thought)

Actually either is possible.

I seem to recall reading they bought the new one less than a week after the old was destroyed.

Given their exploits, I'd have thought they would have needed one with a degree of "bespoke" about it, though. :lol:

Looks like his original boat has been sold by the insurers too. It passed our mooring on the T&M last weekend going south for a new paint job. I didnt get much chance to speak to the skipper, but he said it didnt take much work to get the engine working. Happy cruising to him too.

We noticed another fire damaged boat in the boatyard/marina at Stone. Didn't appear to be too damaged, or, a total write off. Quite surprised that Terry moors his boat in such a busy and congested place, given that he likes the freedom to cruise about so much!

Mike

Well...his books were in the shops in no time.......save the children.....heart foundation.....

I got mine in Oxfam !!!

Bob

I have yet to find the one about the USA in a charity shop yet, come on people Haiti needs your help and I dont want to spend over £3 on the book!

I have yet to find the one about the USA in a charity shop yet, come on people Haiti needs your help and I dont want to spend over £3 on the book!

That's because I got it first!

Richard

Enjoyed that one very much, I'll have to look out for the first one. I got Steve Heywood's book from Help the Aged

Well I left my copy in a Villa in Orlando last June - could give you the address if you want it.

I got mine in Oxfam !!!

Bob

You neglected to include Dr Bernado's Home.

I was out in a shopping mall one day, when a lady thrust a charity box in my face stating "Dr Bernado's Home"

I promptly replied that I didn't know he'd been away! :lol:

Agree! I read it all though as I'd been told it improved - the style drove me mad. He might be a really nice chap - doubtless he is - but Jane Austen he is NOT!

(And the person who loaned me the book / challenged me to read it - when I said I'd take it back -said "bin it - it's crap!!!!)

Stickleback

I found the story quite acceptable but the style a bit odd. But not being much of a book reader I just thought it was me

No, it wasn't just you. It was crap....

It's the first book in ages that I didn't manage to finish, even though I'd been looking forward to reading it.

I just couldn't persevere any longer...I was rapidly losing the will to live. It obviously appeals to some, given the sales figures, but I wonder how many of them ended up unread on charity shop shelves?

Janet