What is this?

WJM

Featured Posts

It looks possibly like a ventilation shaft for a tunnel, but I cant see how or why there would be a tunnel there.

Anyone know what it is?

I reckon it's a ventilation shaft for an air raid shelter/tunnel for Hampton Court Palace

with the addition of a disk thingy to stop people climbing up and gaining access.

....or even a 'modern' cover for an old escape route for Wolsey.

Anybody got/got access to historical maps of the area?

I reckon it's a ventilation shaft for an air raid shelter/tunnel for Hampton Court Palace

with the addition of a disk thingy to stop people climbing up and gaining access.

....or even a 'modern' cover for an old escape route for Wolsey.

Anybody got/got access to historical maps of the area?

Yes, I think the canopy is to prevent access to the apertures which are visible, possibly to stop things being dropped down into whatever it is. Could it be some sort of exhaust and the canopy is a deflector?

My mum was born and grew up in Hampton Wick, she remembers when this was built (1950's) as she used to ride her pony up the Barge Walk. she reckons it is a shelter for waiting for a ferry to take people from Hampton Court/Home Park to Thames Ditton.

I have passed this a few times recently and wondered what it is. It is on the bank of the Thames downstream of Molesey / Hampton Court, directly opposite Barge Walk boatyard.

It looks possibly like a ventilation shaft for a tunnel, but I cant see how or why there would be a tunnel there.

Anyone know what it is?

Found a reference as a 'curious riverside structure':

http://www.urban75.org/walks/hampton-court.html

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

she reckons it is a shelter for waiting for a ferry to take people from Hampton Court/Home Park to Thames Ditton.

Seems strange then that it rises above the shelter part, and, as others have said, seems to have some kind of ventilation holes at the top.

On the other hand, it also has a fairly elaborate set of steps to the river - which does seem to imply it is intended to be accessed by the public.

Your mum may well be right, and it's just rather over-engineered for intended use!

it's the first one of three to be built. and there will be three the other side, H&S said the mooring bollards need to be slightly larger as the Thames is a bigger river. If they are a success, they will be installed at all the Thames locks and the cottages demolished and not sold off.

Seems strange then that it rises above the shelter part, and, as others have said, seems to have some kind of ventilation holes at the top.

On the other hand, it also has a fairly elaborate set of steps to the river - which does seem to imply it is intended to be accessed by the public.

Your mum may well be right, and it's just rather over-engineered for intended use!

A google maps search with satellite view reveals that the structure is exactly opposite Ferry Road, Thames Ditton.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=...ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

It is of course possible that the original shelter was actually larger, perhaps with some sort of glass dome which has since been destroyed, making the exsiting construction appear awkward on its own.

I did wonder if it was a funky rain shelter, but had discounted that idea because I could not see any reason to build a shelter there - but! If there was a foot ferry here, then a shelter makes a lot of sense.

But that leaves another question - why the air vents at the top, above the roof? Even if it is a rain shelter, there must be something under it to need venting?

For once I actually know the answer to this!

It's a tunnel containing a 24'' gas main and I have spent many hours down there inspecting the condition of the pipe! It was a few years ago, but I seem to remember that the entrance was alongside the old Maid Boats boatyard. Once you have entered into the building there is a long shaft which drops to the floor of the tunnel - a metal 'fire escape' style staircase was in place. Once underneath the river (you can walk alongside the pipe) it is possible to hear the craft engines as they motor overhead.

Of course there was the odd idiot who thought it was funny to turn the lights out down there - and also jump up and down on the staircase, thus depositing rust, spiders and God know what on the head of the person lower down!

For once I actually know the answer to this!

It's a tunnel containing a 24'' gas main and I have spent many hours down there inspecting the condition of the pipe! It was a few years ago, but I seem to remember that the entrance was alongside the old Maid Boats boatyard. Once you have entered into the building there is a long shaft which drops to the floor of the tunnel - a metal 'fire escape' style staircase was in place. Once underneath the river (you can walk alongside the pipe) it is possible to hear the craft engines as they motor overhead.

Of course there was the odd idiot who thought it was funny to turn the lights out down there - and also jump up and down on the staircase, thus depositing rust, spiders and God know what on the head of the person lower down!

The present Barge Walk Boatyard, appears to have been Maid Line Cruisers Ltd, at Ferry Yacht Station, Thames Ditton, directly opposite.

Seems a strange location for a gas pipe to me. One would have expected a gas main to cross with a bridge - where does it go? North up to Hampton Court Palace or east towards Kingston Bridge, or shouldn't I be asking?

Edited by dave69700

The present Barge Walk Boatyard, appears to have been Maid Line Cruisers Ltd, at Ferry Yacht Station, Thames Ditton, directly opposite.

Seems a strange location for a gas pipe to me. One would have expected a gas main to cross with a bridge - where does it go? North up to Hampton Court Palace or east towards Kingston Bridge, or shouldn't I be asking?

Blimey, that makes me think! Firstly as a 24 inch diameter pipe it would be too big to bury in the deck of the bridge, hence the decision to put it in a tunnel. When British Gas was arranged in regions, there was a South Eastern Region (who I worked for!) and a North Thames Region. For some strange reason, we went over the river to cover Hampton, Teddington etc - hence the need for the pipe. It used to run right along the barge walk and over the years had a problem with stress corrosion of the ductile iron bolts that formed the joints - the solution was to purge the pipe of gas and send people up the inside, sealing each joint. It was a filthy job and it fell upon me to crawl along afterwards (many hundreds of yards between shafts) and inspect every joint. When I look at myself now I think it would be a bit more tricky to fit in a 24'' - a vision Winnie the Pooh getting stuck comes to mind! I actually worked with a guy who turn round in that size, although how he had the nerve to try it the first time always mazed me!

Nothing to do with boats at all though - sorry!

Blimey, that makes me think! Firstly as a 24 inch diameter pipe it would be too big to bury in the deck of the bridge, hence the decision to put it in a tunnel. When British Gas was arranged in regions, there was a South Eastern Region (who I worked for!) and a North Thames Region. For some strange reason, we went over the river to cover Hampton, Teddington etc - hence the need for the pipe. It used to run right along the barge walk and over the years had a problem with stress corrosion of the ductile iron bolts that formed the joints - the solution was to purge the pipe of gas and send people up the inside, sealing each joint. It was a filthy job and it fell upon me to crawl along afterwards (many hundreds of yards between shafts) and inspect every joint. When I look at myself now I think it would be a bit more tricky to fit in a 24'' - a vision Winnie the Pooh getting stuck comes to mind! I actually worked with a guy who turn round in that size, although how he had the nerve to try it the first time always mazed me!

Nothing to do with boats at all though - sorry!

Thanks for that - always inquisitive, me. :lol:

A gas pipe that size on a bridge would not be on a bridge due to its vulnerability to attack.

I remember (and heard) the bomb that the Welsh Nationalists exploded on the Elan Valley water pipeline near Stourbridge which flooded the railway cutting it crossed on a bridge for miles. This led to a review of exposed pipes which led to the same pipeline being tunnelled under the river Severn at, I think, Shrewsbury where it previously crossed on a bridge.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis