BCN Challenge 2013

Odana

Featured Posts

Stuart has just spent over two hours down the weedhstch at the bottom of the Walsall locks. Lots of wire. Glad that didn't happen at the weekend. We had a wonderfully time on the challenge, thanks to the organisers for making it happen, fellow competitors for making it fun and to Madcat for being the best ships cat ever. The Keeping Ups just need to jump in, no previous experience required.

Keeping ups come and join in ,you will be made welcome. Planning for 2014 has started already.

Sorry you got the wire Red Whafr not funny at all. Don't suppose the wire is copper either or at least you could weigh it in.

Being ships cat is fun,thanks for a great trip.

And Wolverhampton, I stayed night before last,

Did you find the 'Great Western'?

An excellent cheers.gif emporium (despite the name!)

Stuart has just spent over two hours down the weedhstch at the bottom of the Walsall locks. Lots of wire.

I think it was one of those Chinese hot air balloon thingies, metallised tissue paper and lots (lots and lots and lots) of thin wire, all wrapped around the prop and behind the prop too.

A big THANK YOU to the bloke in one of the houses by the bottom lock. Said he'd been watching me and came out to offer help, tools etc. He'd been a boater, "I moored on the Curly Whirly so I know what its like, duvets and all sorts around the prop. I sold the boat to buy the house and now I look at boats going past. sad.png "

SAM

Red Wharf

The one and only boat currently moored in Walsall Basin

I see you only got small things around the prop. In Nottingham this week we got a 250ft length of 6" plastic hosepipe. I seem to have an affinity with hose-pipes, I've twice got a length of vacuum cleaner hose on the prop on the Curly Wyrley (at the same bridge but 20 years apart)

Did you find the 'Great Western'?

An excellent cheers.gif emporium (despite the name!)

SAM

Red Wharf

The one and only boat currently moored in Walsall Basin

The great western is on the agenda for next visit

Have since found the Swan at crompton.

That's a fine local.

And am now in the navigation.

Oh , Bratch locks!! Wow! Came around the bend and was gob smacked. What a wonderful surprise. Plus Pumphouse.

Edited by Goliath

Now back at Debdale after a round trip of 230 miles and 202 locks and worth every one of them! Big thanks to the organisers for a great event and good to meet everyone afterwards and on the way back. Just one request for next year - can we have the nice weather for the week before and after the event as well! Doing lapworth and Hatton with just the two of us on the way back, both on the same day and in torrential rain with all locks set against us was not the most fun. Made up for it though by sharing bascote and Stockton with a lovely family on a hire boat in brilliant sunshine.

Glad to see we're not the only ones to have more weed hatch trips on the way back, 3 trips down weed hatch in the first 3 locks of Ryder's green though luckily this time it was only very heavy duty plastic packing, trousers and builders heavy duty plastic sheet though we only narrowly avoided another tyre as managed to spot it just as it was drifting down towards the prop.

Can't wait til next year and the crew are already asking if they can do it next year with us so must have been a success. I do like cruising the BCN but mooring so far away can't get to do it as much as I would like.

Will try to post some photos when I get round to sorting them out!

Tom and Becky

Diesel & Dust

Now back at Debdale after a round trip of 230 miles and 202 locks and worth every one of them!

Tom and Becky

Diesel & Dust

Nice to meet you both at Saltisford...(Moored alongside )we are definitely doing the challenge next year after reading all about it here..what an adventure!

Glad you home safe and see you next year hopefully!!

Here is the timelapse video of the full 24 hours of our BCN Challenge, well it is almost the full 24 hours but someone forgot to start the camera on the first day, so it starts approximately 30 mins in! At the end there is a short video clip of us in the top lock at Longwood. Enjoy.

Here is the timelapse video of the full 24 hours of our BCN Challenge, well it is almost the full 24 hours but someone forgot to start the camera on the first day, so it starts approximately 30 mins in! At the end there is a short video clip of us in the top lock at Longwood. Enjoy.

Clarrie at 14.00 Bently Moorings

:)

The full results,

We're very pleased.

Sue

POSITION ENTRANT BOAT NAME POINTS

1 RICHARD POWELL TAWNY OWL 635.2

2 TOM MURKIN DIESEL AND DUST 609.8

3 SARAH EDGSON CANIS MAJOR 554.6

4 JOHN MOSLEY FIREFLY 513

5 CHARLEY JOHNSTON FELONIOUS MONGOOSE 501

6 THOMAS LOOS CHARLENE 495.04

7 IVOR CHAMBERS ATLAS 479.56

8 JOHN HAMMOND MUSKRAT 472.4

9 DAVID BELL PANATHA 467.6

10 JILL SHEPHERD COBBETT 424.52

11 PAUL ROE OUR LITTLE NIGHTMARE 422.5

12 STEVE GREEN GOOSANDER 404.72

13 BRIAN SPOONER WILD ROSE 380.84

14 M ROSE GOLIATH 343.64

15 STUART MAKENSON RED WHARF 328.5

16 D GUTTRIDGE HANNAH ROSE 303.4

17 DAMIEN CAMPBELL SPARTAN & PHEOBE 300

18 TUG WILSON GOLDEN EAGLE 261.76

19 PETER SCOTT COPPERKINS II 259.4

20 IAN HINDLE THE CAT WHO WALKS BY HIMSELF 241.76

21 G WALLBANK YARDLEY 186.4

22 LAURIE BOOTH CARRIE 131.2

23 JESSICA BUNZL EAGLE NON STARTER

Congratulations to all who took part, and first 4 places to CWDF boats, that's briliant.

Roll on next years event.

edited cos I didn't cut and paste properly.

Edited by Mrs Tawny Owl

So, in the CWDF handicap stakes, we have:

(CWDF place; overall place; boat; points)

1 1 TAWNY OWL 635.2

2 2 DIESEL AND DUST 609.8

3 3 CANIS MAJOR 554.6

4 4 FIREFLY 513

5 10 COBBETT 424.52

6 14 GOLIATH 343.64

7 15 RED WHARF 328.5

8 19 COPPERKINS II 259.4

9 20 THE CAT WHO WALKS BY HIMSELF 241.76

10 22 CARRIE 131.2

As Sue said, the forum took the top four places, what a competitive lot we are! Putting aside old hands Team Tawny Owl (with BCN virgins Smudge and Purple Fairy), what can we say about this years results

Best placing: Team Tawny Owl

Best newcomer: Diesel and Dust. A good crop of newcomers this year with two in the top four (DIESEL AND DUST and CANIS MAJOR) and GOLIATH and RED WHARF holding respectable places. DIESEL AND DUST did particularly well as they also stopped to help reship the rudder on ATLAS. A team to watch next year

Most Improved: COBBETT. Team COBBETT seem to have given up competing for the wooden spoon, and found that their new strategy of not sleeping for twelve hours at Ocker Hill has paid dividends. Not spending ages drinking in The Fingerpost may be the next breakthrough

Most consistent: CLARRIE. LaurieB has held his position as CWDF wooden spoon holder and also regained his overall last place. Clarrie is a consistent performer, can he repeat this next year?

Congratulations must go to FIREFLY for their fourth place, and also for their Twittering and video work. Bringing the fun of the BCN Challenge to the masses and publicising the beauty of the northern BCN is very much in the spirit of the challenge

Finally, we are not sure if Team Cat's new mooring at The Fingerpost instead of The Manor Arms has really paid off. More work, worse beer, similar placing. We hope that Team Cat will find their way again next year.

Many thanks to the BCNS again for organising this splendid event. I love it!

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Yep the plonkers on Clarrie hope to be back next year. I have been informed that the skipper, next year hopes to avoid the pub at Bently moorings, the cinema and an indian takeaway.

smile.png

PS

He would like to thank "The Cat" for helping out at Factory locks.

:)

Edited by Laurie.Booth