Please use headphones

MHS

Featured Posts

Just now, frangar said:

I’m glad I’m not alone in finding loud music irritating in public spaces be that on the cut or public transport.....So if like welly you insist on it then don’t be upset when I object  in any way I see fit. 

If someone is irritated by my playing of music, they just have to ask for me to turn it down. And I'm happy to do so. But as no one does then I'll assume they're fine with it. So what way would you see fit to express your objection?

3 minutes ago, welly said:

If someone is disturbed by my playing of music then they're quite welcome to ask me to turn it off or turn it down. As no one does or has then I will assume that they're not put out by it? 

I find in general that people who exhibit your type of selfishness are rarely receptive to a polite request not to behave like that, so I guess other people have found the same.

7 minutes ago, welly said:

That's fine! More space for the rest of us. If the playing of music as I cruise along is disturbing the peace, how you get on with the thumping of an engine as it passes by is beyond me.

Whilst I completely disagree with you inflicting your music on everyone, I entirely get your point re old knacker noisey engines. Not only do they sound crap especialy in tunnels when they approach me the blast of crap from their silly pointed at the tunnel roof exhaust is a real bummer.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

Yes we know.

As said, selfish and stuff everybody else.

No, not "stuff everybody else" but absolutely me first. Not sure why I'd pick someone else's preference.

Just now, welly said:

No, not "stuff everybody else" but absolutely me first. Not sure why I'd pick someone else's preference.

Of course you wouldn't pick someone else's preference with regards to them not wanting to be disturbed by intrusive music, that's obvious.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Whilst I completely disagree with you inflicting your music on everyone, I entirely get your point re old knacker noisey engines. Not only do they sound crap especialy in tunnels when they approach me the blast of crap from their silly pointed at the tunnel roof exhaust is a real bummer.

Now we know you are just jealous of those of us with proper engines...and we don’t blast anything as we have cutters on the pipe....perhaps one day you will buy a boat with soul. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

The solution may involve Vaseline.

By all means wade across the cut to where I'm cruising if you see fit or a simple "can you turn that down a bit please? Cheers" may leave you drier.

Just now, welly said:

By all means wade across the cut to where I'm cruising if you see fit or a simple "can you turn that down a bit please? Cheers" may leave you drier.

Only 'May'?

See what I mean? I bet you would turn it up if asked to turn it down. Its what selfish types do.

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Now we know you are just jealous of those of us with proper engines...and we don’t blast anything as we have cutters on the pipe....perhaps one day you will buy a boat with soul. 

No not jealous at all or I would have bought one. I do get that some people like them as is their wish, but dont get that most people with them actualy think the rest of us think they are great when in fact many of us dont at all. I do however like soul. When I was younger it was very popular music and I loved it.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No not jealous at all or I would have bought one. I do get that some people like them as is their wish, but dont get that most people with them actualy think the rest of us think they are great when in fact many of us dont at all. I do however like soul. When I was younger it was very popular music and I loved it.

But 'thumping' engines are part of the canal scene and have been for decades, kyley minouge blasting out at 150 decibels is not 

4 minutes ago, welly said:

No I wouldn't

Well of course you say that now.

But why wouldn't you if you really think it's 'OK'

Edited by MJG

I followed a bloke trough Harecastle Tunnel earlier this year with loud music blaring from his boat. I could hear nothing but his music, probably the same for the rest of the convoy. We had no chance of him hearing any request to turn it down and similarly no chance of hearing anyone's horn or cries for help. 

It's simply not ok to justify doing something either unsociable or dangerous just by saying you'll stop if anyone asks.

• Greenie 3

28 minutes ago, MJG said:

But 'thumping' engines are part of the canal scene and have been for decades, kyley minouge blasting out at 150 decibels is not 

Well of course you say that now.

But why wouldn't you if you really think it's 'OK'

It is ok. It's ok for the the same reason it's ok to run your engine from 8am to 8pm, to mow your lawn with a petrol driven lawnmower, to stick fireworks up in the air, to use power tools at home or on the towpath. All of which make more noise for more time than me passing you by for 30 seconds with my radio on.

11 minutes ago, welly said:

It is ok. It's ok for the the same reason it's ok to run your engine from 8am to 8pm, to mow your lawn with a petrol driven lawnmower, to stick fireworks up in the air, to use power tools at home or on the towpath. All of which make more noise for more time than me passing you by for 30 seconds with my radio on.

No it's not ok when there is the alternative of using head phones.

There is little alternative to some noise being created you have an alternative. I also would not set off fireworks in a populated area, they are equally intrusive. 

1 minute ago, MJG said:

No it's not ok when there is the alternative of using head phones.

There is little alternative to some noise being created you have an alternative. I also would not set off fireworks in a populated area, they are equally intrusive. 

Headphones are not an alternative, they inhibit awareness.

3 minutes ago, welly said:

Headphones are not an alternative, they inhibit awareness.

Then perhaps boating and listening to loud music is incompatible, unless you wish to be a nuisance to others of course.

Just now, Jerra said:

I am beginning to think a campaign where everybody as soon as they hear loud music puts their finger on the horn until the boat is well past might be a good idea.:D

If you want to create a nuisance and disturb MJG's peace, go ahead!

56 minutes ago, welly said:

Most of those are fairly antisocial, depending on the time of day you pick to do them, or if you run your engine nonstop next to someone trying to enjoy the peace and quiet without breathing diesel fumes all day.

The problem with a radio on the hatch is that, because of the engine banging away next to you, it has to be loud so you can hear it.  Everyone else doesn't hear your engine so much (it's mostly underwater and surrounded by metal), but the sound of your horrible taste in music (horrible, obviously, because it simply isn't the same as mine) can be heard for about a mile before you arrive and another mile after you've gone, which means we have to put up with it for at least half an hour.  And why I should be forced to listen to someone else's choice of music is beyond me, which is why I don't like it in pubs or restaurants either.  But I can choose not to go in them, you don't give me the choice.  And if headphones inhibit awareness, what on earth do you think a radio on the hatch does?  Noise is noise.

I am also amazed that you haven't noticed that sound travels miles over water but believe it sticks like glue to the surface of your boat.

• Greenie 3

This can be looked  both at ways, why should I have to suffer your silence, or squawking fowl noises. I drown it out, boom boom, boom boom. You wear earplugs, peace and quiet.

So you'd miss the horn signals? Nobody uses them correctly anyway, apparently. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

This can be looked  both at ways, why should I have to suffer your silence, or squawking fowl noises. I drown it out, boom boom, boom boom. You wear earplugs, peace and quiet.

So you'd miss the horn signals? Nobody uses them correctly anyway, apparently. 

I don't think you have thought things through.  You want to be  able to hear your music others want to be able to hear the birds etc.  Your suggestion of ear plugs doesn't allow them to do so.   However if you used headphones you can hear your music without preventing the majority (going by the number of boats I pass that don't have music playing) enjoying the canal as they wish.

You seem to be looking for every excuse as to why others should bend to your will rather then how you can be thoughtful of your fellow man.

• Greenie 2