Please use headphones

MHS

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, MHS said:

Why do more people now feel it’s ok to have music blaring from a radio on their rear hatch? I personally prefer listening to the bird song. 

Yesterday afternoon we were moored (with a dozen or so boats) at Audlem in the sunshine. A boat came through the bottom lock and from 100m away I could hear radio coverage of the Ryder’s Cup. As I wanted to watch the BBC highlights that night, I had to resort to sticking my fingers in my ears, while politely asking him to turn it down. 

Whether it’s opera, 80’s pop, sport or heavy metal please don’t force it on other boaters. Please buy yourself some headphones and allow us to enjoy the peace. 

We have the same issue with our house neighbours who are adept at spoiling a nice summer afternoon forcing everybody else to listen to 'Capital radio - innit'.

The difference is in a house you cant upsticks and move (Like you can't if it's a nearby moored boat) Unfortunately some people are just ignorant selfish half wits in all walks of life.

Edited by MJG

My old neighbour lived with a car park at the bottom of his garden.

The scummy youths would sit on the floor and lean on his wall smoking pot with a ghetto blaster disturbing his peace.

He used to ask them to turn it up to maximum.

When incredulous berk asked why, he would explain that it flattened the battery faster.

If this logic failed to move them he waterpistolled them with stagnant water from his butt ( Water butt ! )

The only radio programme which I ever listen to while steering is Test Match Special. As you'll know, it's generally peaceful and not much happens, so I don't think I'm disturbing anyone (though I have been asked the score).

1 hour ago, MJG said:

We have the same issue with our house neighbours who are adept at spoiling a nice summer afternoon forcing everybody else to listen to 'Capital radio - innit'.

The difference is in a house you cant upsticks and move (Like you can't if it's a nearby moored boat) Unfortunately some people are just ignorant selfish half wits in all walks of life.

Time for a new hobby, bagpipes perhaps? ?

I find the same problem on public transport. I'm a fairly regular user of buses and trains and find that some ear phones are practically speakers. If I can hear it half way down the bus, heaven knows what damage it's causing to their hearing.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

I find the same problem on public transport. I'm a fairly regular user of buses and trains and find that some ear phones are practically speakers. If I can hear it half way down the bus, heaven knows what damage it's causing to their hearing.

Pardon! :D

2 hours ago, Athy said:

....or invite our Mr. Marshall to practise his trombone in the garden?

I've been tempted to do that very thing in response to some barmpot's radio blaring out, and occasionally next door's dog barking interminably round midnight..  But then, of course, you just add to the irritation of all the other neighbours who aren't being a nuisance (though how they could find a trombone anything but soothing I have no idea).  The last place I lived backed on to a terrace, where more or less every one of about 15 houses had some kind of music radio  on, all different, all loud, all in their gardens.

I do, however, as everyone who knows me is aware, possess a soul of infinite patience, so i just sigh .

But people with ghettoblasters on the boat hatch, or the new idea which seems to be catching on of having giant speakers just inside the back door get right on my nadgers.

And as for those bloody single cylinder engines banging away...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've been tempted to do that very thing in response to some barmpot's radio blaring out, and occasionally next door's dog barking interminably round midnight..  But then, of course, you just add to the irritation of all the other neighbours who aren't being a nuisance (though how they could find a trombone anything but soothing I have no idea).  The last place I lived backed on to a terrace, where more or less every one of about 15 houses had some kind of music radio  on, all different, all loud, all in their gardens.

I do, however, as everyone who knows me is aware, possess a soul of infinite patience, so i just sigh .

But people with ghettoblasters on the boat hatch, or the new idea which seems to be catching on of having giant speakers just inside the back door get right on my nadgers.

And as for those bloody single cylinder engines banging away...

I originally posted this back in 2015, but have copiedifferent nd pasted it because it chimes with the above post.

"Couple of years ago we moored up in the middle of nowhere on the Leicester Branch and began to relax with a couple of drinks.

Soon we could hear "ptonk, ptonk" in the distance, but couldn't see any boat. "Boat with an interesting old engine" I thought. As it got closer the sound changed making me wonder what engine it was. Eventually this boat came into sight. The noise was the bass line from the Stones "Symphony for the Devil" being played at a mega volume!

Soon the sound disappeared, along with the boat.

Nice track though."

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've been tempted to do that very thing in response to some barmpot's radio blaring out, and occasionally next door's dog barking interminably round midnight..  But then, of course, you just add to the irritation of all the other neighbours who aren't being a nuisance (though how they could find a trombone anything but soothing I have no idea). 

Well quite. I must say that, great musicians though Don Drummond, J.J., Johnson and others were, I don't think I would have .liked them as next-door neighbours. Mind you it could have been worse - John Bonham as a neighbour for example.

6 hours ago, Nut said:

to a degree I agree

let peeps listen to what they wish and yes not at the expense of others enjoyment so I think that's 100 degrees is it not? 

I think it's only 90 degrees because if you later change your mind completely you'll have done a 180. ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Liam said:

What!!! I didn't quite catch that. 

Phil 

6 minutes ago, welly said:

Because it is ok.

I'm afraid if you really believe that then that is typical of what a selfish 'me first' person would think.

Lack of consideration of others seems to be an increasing trend in society.

But out of interest can you explain why it's ok?

Edited by MJG

Just now, MJG said:

I'm afraid if you really believe that then that is I'm afraid typical of what a selfish 'me first' person would think.

Lack of consideration of others seems to be an increasing trend in society.

But out of interest can you explain why it's ok?

My playing music as I cruise along, passing individual boats for perhaps 20 seconds at a time is hardly selfish.

Is your peace honestly disturbed by a boat passing by for less than a minute?

1 minute ago, welly said:

My playing music as I cruise along, passing individual boats for perhaps 20 seconds at a time is hardly selfish.

Is your peace honestly disturbed by a boat passing by for less than a minute?

Of course it's selfish, what about a boat that is following you?

It's intrusive, why do you feel the need to inflict your choice of music on others when all you need to do is invest in a cheap pair of headphones.

Just now, Boater Sam said:

Another good reason for us not to visit London.  Simply selfish and inconsiderate behaviour.

That's fine! More space for the rest of us. If the playing of music as I cruise along is disturbing the peace, how you get on with the thumping of an engine as it passes by is beyond me.

1 minute ago, welly said:

That's fine! More space for the rest of us. If the playing of music as I cruise along is disturbing the peace, how you get on with the thumping of an engine as it passes by is beyond me.

Me first, me first, stuff every body else.

Just now, MJG said:

Of course it's selfish, what about a boat that is following you?

It's intrusive, why do you feel the need to inflict your choice of music on others when all you need to do is invest in a cheap pair of headphones.

I'd no sooner wear a set of headphones while steering my boat as I would driving a car or riding a bike. It affects your awareness.

If someone is disturbed by my playing of music then they're quite welcome to ask me to turn it off or turn it down. As no one does or has then I will assume that they're not put out by it and I'll carry on.

Just now, MJG said:

Me first, me first, stuff every body else.

Yes, as a general rule, me first. Why wouldn't I pick me first? ?