How to make a kite

bizzard

Featured Posts

Gather together the following.      2 sticks, as long as you like,. Big sheet of brown paper.  Balls of string.  Cellotape, scissors. Penknife.  Assembly...    Cross the two sticks crucifix wise and lash together in the centre with a bit of string.  Notch the four ends of each stick with the knife. Run string around these four notches and tie the two ends together tightly with a nice knot. This should now form a square or triangle, whichever way you look at it.  Cover it over with the brown paper, cellotaping securely all around the string. Tie strings to all four ends of the sticks, bringing them all together at a nice offset angle to the kite and tie together. Tie main flight ball of string to where these four strings come together. Tie a stabilizer string with fluttery bits of paper tied on along its length to the bottom stick end of the structure.  The length of this stabilizer tail will need experimenting with during your test flights. If the kite keeps swooping wildly from side to side out of control the tail needs to be a bit heavier-longer.   If you make your kite too big you might might, in a strong wind become airborne yourself and get blown away. Happy flying. :)

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

2 sticks, as long as you like

Seems like a while since we've had a Bizzard project - good to see they're still in there bursting to get out! :D

One small note if I may - don't take too long getting the sticks, or it'll be dark and you won't get to fly it.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Seems like a while since we've had a Bizzard project - good to see they're still in there bursting to get out! :D

One small note if I may - don't take too long getting the sticks, or it'll be dark and you won't get to fly it.

Thanks. Lots of em bursting to get out.

Apart from last weekend, we have not had much wind to fly a kite. To overcome this it is either sprouts or wait for a sunny day when the roof warms up a lot.....like 60 to 70 deg ish .....pop the ecofan on the roof ...and fly it from there. Don't forget to wear shoes otherwise you will burn your feet. Sprout curry is good.

What Bizzard failed to mention that he intends to use the kite to tow his boat, therefore saving fuel and wear and tear on the engine.  

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Apart from last weekend, we have not had much wind to fly a kite. To overcome this it is either sprouts or wait for a sunny day when the roof warms up a lot.....like 60 to 70 deg ish .....pop the ecofan on the roof ...and fly it from there. Don't forget to wear shoes otherwise you will burn your feet. Sprout curry is good.

What you need is a vegan, all the ones that I know all produce vast amounts of wind.

I once made an enormous one, so enormous I couldn't hang onto it or reel it in in a decent wind, so I constructed a Meccano winch with legs on which I bashed into the ground in the park. It flew beautifully and everso high,  high flying dickie birds were very puzzled by it. I had  about 4 balls of string out on it, when all of a sudden as I was relaxing watching it way up in the blue sky the winch was suddenly yanked out of the ground and the whole caboozle including my winch sailed away out over the park, out over the main road, over Woolworths and away, never to be seen again.  I gave up kites for a bit after trouble with the park keeper and took up model aircraft control line flying. instead. Which can become quite horridly dangerous if one doesn't pay attention to it and twiddle round and round to keep pace with the plane. You can get bound up around and around solid by the control strings which hampers your movements complately as the buzzing plane with its powerful roaring diesel engine winds its strings around and around you, closer and closer and and closer and whap!!!!!!.  All over.      And then!!!!  my experiences with Radio controlled model aircraft began, but thats another story,  :rolleyes:

Edited by bizzard

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

I once made an enormous one, so enormous I couldn't hang onto it or reel it in in a decent wind, so I constructed a Meccano winch with legs on which I bashed into the ground in the park. It flew beautifully and everso high,  high flying dickie birds were very puzzled by it. I had  about 4 balls of string out on it, when all of a sudden as I was relaxing watching it way up in the blue sky the winch was suddenly yanked out of the ground and the whole caboozle including my winch sailed away out over the park, out over the main road, over Woolworths and away, never to be seen again.  I gave up kites for a bit after trouble with the park keeper and took up model aircraft control line flying. instead. Which can become quite horridly dangerous if one doesn't pay attention to it and twiddle round and round to keep pace with the plane. You can get bound up around and around solid by the control strings which hampers your movements complately as the buzzing plane with its powerful roaring diesel engine winds its strings around and around you, closer and closer and and closer and whap!!!!!!.  All over.      And then!!!!  my experiences with Radio controlled model aircraft began, but thats another story,  :rolleyes:

that sounds almost like my fathers experience with control line flying

until he broke the lines..... resulting in the loss of a paint shed at lucas aerospace

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Few realised what a cunning linguist Dick Van Dyke was before his role as the cheeky, kite-flying cockney chimney sweep in Mary Poppins showcased his skill with accents.

If Mary Whitehouse had her way it would be 'Beep Van Beep'

According to the late great Ned Sherrin, the afore mentioned actor had tried to register with Equity under his real name, which was Penis Lorry Lesbian. Unfortunately he could not use that name as there was already an actor registered with it, so he has to settle for the name by which he became famous, Dick Van Dyke.

6 minutes ago, Peter Reed said:

Sellotape? Luxury! You were rich,I had to use a paste made out of flour and water and then wait a day for it to dry before the kite could be flown.

We used to stick stamps in an album with jam.