Looking for a replacement for a leaking Shurflo

Froggy

Featured Posts

Our Shurflo Aqua King pump started leaking over a year ago, after which i isolated it. You will see from the photograph that we have two pumps, i think the other might be a Jabsco but am not on the boat until later today. The Shurflo pump deals with the flush water to the Mansfield Traveler, the other pump deals with everything else (except the shower, for which we have another pump located elsewhere). For the last year we've simply flushed the loo with water from a bottle but i now want to replace this pump.

I've read a few of the threads on here and Shurflo don't seem to have a very good reputation and seem very prone to leaks. Additionally, they also seem to be impossible to source from the UK. Ebay and Amazon list pumps located in the US with very hefty carriage charges that would take the cost of the pump to about £160. However, i'm looking for an easy life atm, so would prefer a pump that's a straight swap rather than having to re-jig the pipework etc. Any suggestions would be welcome. One of the threads on here suggested that Shurflo's Trail King series, which are considerably cheaper, are satisfactory replacements for a narrowboat so am considering one of these unless anybody can come up with a better suggestion. I've also read on other threads talk of an accumulator; i haven't a clue what one of these looks like or whether we have one, maybe somebody can advise from the attached photographs.

WP_20161121_14_07_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20161230_15_11_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20161230_15_12_10_Pro.jpg

The other pump looks like a jabsco parmax.

The accumulator is the white cylinder thingy with a black cap that covers the valve

Eta i'm surprised shurflos are difficult to source in uk. We changed our shurflo for a parmax a few years back. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The other pump looks like a jabsco parmax.

The accumulator is the white cylinder thingy with a black cap that covers the valve

Eta i'm surprised shurflos are difficult to source in uk. We changed our shurflo for a parmax a few years back. 

Many thanks for your swift reply. :)   On a couple of threads here reference was made to Jabscos being noisy. Whatever our other pump is, it's certainly noisy! There are pros and cons to this of course, since it can be a warning a tap has been left on, although as the pumps are located beneath the guest bed it's not all good! This wouldn't be quite so important for the toilet pump i guess, since it would have less use.

Having looked at Shurflo's website, i wonder whether the newer Aqua King II models are more reliable. Does anybody have any comments on this?

12 minutes ago, Froggy said:

On a couple of threads here reference was made to Jabscos being noisy.

Our jabsco is no noisier than the shurflos were. Flexible pipes are often recommended for the final connection to the pump.

ETA.Looks like you have a square D type pressure switch too. 

Edited by rusty69

I'll have a look at the other pump when i return to the boat later. If it's a Parmax and looks as though it will fit in the space of the Shurflo and without rejigging the pipework i will seriously consider. Our Shurflo is an Aqua King Junior or Standard by the look of it, with a flow rate of 2.8 GPM.

Pumps are / can be noisy when you screw them solidly to a sounding board - which your layout indicates AND you use rigid pipes. But that's a matter for separate consideration. I switched to Trail King models some years ago and haven't had any problems.

• Greenie 1

We stopped using shurflo years ago. I now use whale or Jabsco, present one is a whale and so far lasted over three years. I might also add that the one small size pump the same as yours does everything on the boat without problem. There are only two of us but for instance the shower still works with the kitchen tap running. Having three seems a bit of overkill to me. My Hudson had two in tandem and I disconnected one and re jigged a small length of pipe and it worked just as well as with the two.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, just ditch the Shurflo and buy another Jabsco Parmax 2.9 (your other one is a Jabsco par max as Rusty says). They are only £65 so I bought 2 so have one as a spare.

Yes good call I dont ever go anywhere without a new one in the box ready for WHEN the fitted one fails.

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We stopped using shurflo years ago. I now use whale or Jabsco, present one is a whale and so far lasted over three years. I might also add that the one small size pump the same as yours does everything on the boat without problem. There are only two of us but for instance the shower still works with the kitchen tap running. Having three seems a bit of overkill to me. My Hudson had two in tandem and I disconnected one and re jigged a small length of pipe and it worked just as well as with the two.

Our whole boat fit-out is overkill it seems to me, but it's a good thing rather than bad one. Large fuel tank, large water tank and even a separate water tank for flushing the loo, which has raised a few eyebrows.

46 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, just ditch the Shurflo and buy another Jabsco Parmax 2.9 (your other one is a Jabsco par max as Rusty says). They are only £65 so I bought 2 so have one as a spare.

But will this fit in the same space as the Shurflo we have without re-jigging the pipework? Also, are the inlet/outlet pipes configured the same?

I'm taking it that Jabscos are considered to be more reliable?

54 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Our jabsco is no noisier than the shurflos were. Flexible pipes are often recommended for the final connection to the pump. 

Ours are plastic pipes, does that count as flexible?

Edited by Froggy

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The jabsco will fit where your shurflo fits. The pipe fittings may well be the same easy shove in jobbies but if not they are very simple to fit.

Thanks, that's a great help. I have a few days to make a final decision before i order but will seriously consider the Jabsco option. It looks like they are a similar price to the Trail Kings. Interestingly the Trail Kings seem to be readily available in the UK, unlike the Aqua Kings. If people can convince me that the Jabsco would be a better pump than the Trail King (which, according to another thread i read are an exact swap for Aqua Kings dimension-wise, although the Aqua King IIs might possibly be different) then i'll go with the Jabsco.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

If people can convince me that the Jabsco would be a better pump than the Trail King (which, according to another thread i read are an exact swap for Aqua Kings dimension-wise, although the Aqua King IIs might possibly be different) then i'll go with the Jabsco

For the amount of use it will get, I seriously doubt it will make that much difference which you get. Both will last for years.

Just now, rusty69 said:

For the amount of use it will get, I seriously doubt it will make that much difference which you get. Both will last for years.

Ok, thanks. I've read quite a few threads where the Shurflo has sprung a leak (just like ours) but you have a point given that it's only being used for the loo. The one advantage with the Shurflo is it would probably be a straight swap without even the need to drill new holes (not that this is an issue, but re-jigging the pipework/wiring would be a bit more hassle).

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Ok, thanks. I've read quite a few threads where the Shurflo has sprung a leak (just like ours) but you have a point given that it's only being used for the loo. The one advantage with the Shurflo is it would probably be a straight swap without even the need to drill new holes (not that this is an issue, but re-jigging the pipework/wiring would be a bit more hassle).

I reckon all pumps will leak sooner or later.

We were using shurflos for about 15 years,and they lasted approx 2-3 years each time. I don't know about the Jabsco yet,its been just over 2 years now (live aboard).

I treat them as consumables,and always have a spare on the shelf

Edited by rusty69

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I reckon all pumps will leak sooner or later.

We were using shurflos for about 15 years,and they lasted approx 2-3 years each time. I don't know about the Jabsco yet,its been just over 2 years now (live aboard).

I treat them as consumables,and always have a spare on the shelf

I guess you are right. We have lived without the Shurflo for a year (by flushing the loo with a refillable water bottle. Not a very pleasant ask but then the seals have gone on the Mansfield Traveller anyway so the bowl doesn't hold water). If our main water pump failed that would be a more pressing matter, so when we have the funds i agree that buying a replacement would be wise.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

I guess you are right. We have lived without the Shurflo for a year (by flushing the loo with a refillable water bottle. Not a very pleasant ask but then the seals have gone on the Mansfield Traveller anyway so the bowl doesn't hold water). If our main water pump failed that would be a more pressing matter, so when we have the funds i agree that buying a replacement would be wise.

You can of course take the shurflo apart,and usually repair them with some sticky gunk,but the repair is usally only a temporary measure and it will leak again.

I used to repair ours,the repair would sometimes last up to a year before it failed.

I can't be bothered these days,and just buy a new one.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

You can of course take the shurflo apart,and usually repair them with some sticky gunk,but the repair is usally only a temporary measure and it will leak again.

I used to repair ours,the repair would sometimes last up to a year before it failed.

I can't be bothered these days,and just buy a new one.

Yes, i read about that on another thread and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

The Jabsco pumps have the quick release fittings so changing the pump out takes seconds.....unless the chocolate block wiring connector is at arms length under the front deck and you are lying on your back with the dog jumping up and down on your valuable bits. I know....I did it this week. Honestly you can swap the pump pipe connectors in 30 secs with no tools! Buy 2.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The Jabsco pumps have the quick release fittings so changing the pump out takes seconds.....unless the chocolate block wiring connector is at arms length under the front deck and you are lying on your back with the dog jumping up and down on your valuable bits. I know....I did it this week. Honestly you can swap the pump pipe connectors in 30 secs with no tools! Buy 2.

Great. Many thanks. A bit cheaper than the £100 i was expecting to pay as well, having done a quick search when the pump initially failed.

The Jabsco 2.9 comes with fittings for both 3/4" BSP and 12 mm hose. It looks as if your Shurflo has 3/4 BSP fittings, and there's plenty of flex in the pipework, so it will be a five minute job to change it. The noise largely depends on how the pump is mounted and what sort of pipe is connected. The Jabsco comes with rubber feet which helps, can't remember how a Shurflo is mounted. However I'd be tempted to cut the pipes going to the pump back a bit, fit a 3/4 BSP F to each end, then use poly hose to go to the pump via Hoselock fittings. It would make changing it a very quick job in the future. More or less what I've just done for a toilet flush pump (raw water) on our mainland boat. It makes disconnecting everything for winterising very easy.

• Greenie 1

These pumps especially the Shurflow last much, much longer if they're switched off at their main switch after use and a tap opened for a bit to release the pressure. Even just for overnight should extend their life considerably. Being under pressure full time seems to eventually warp the plastic body and make them leak.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, bizzard said:

These pumps especially the Shurflow last much, much longer if they're switched off at their main switch after use and a tap opened for a bit to release the pressure. Even just for overnight should extend their life considerably. Being under pressure full time seems to eventually warp the plastic body and make them leak.

That makes a lot of sense.