Looking for a replacement for a leaking Shurflo

Froggy

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

The Jabsco 2.9 comes with fittings for both 3/4" BSP and 12 mm hose. It looks as if your Shurflo has 3/4 BSP fittings, and there's plenty of flex in the pipework, so it will be a five minute job to change it. The noise largely depends on how the pump is mounted and what sort of pipe is connected. The Jabsco comes with rubber feet which helps, can't remember how a Shurflo is mounted. However I'd be tempted to cut the pipes going to the pump back a bit, fit a 3/4 BSP F to each end, then use poly hose to go to the pump via Hoselock fittings. It would make changing it a very quick job in the future. More or less what I've just done for a toilet flush pump (raw water) on our mainland boat. It makes disconnecting everything for winterising very easy.

Great information, much appreciated, i'm definitely warming to the Jabsco, which seem to be highly regarded and very readily available in the UK, which should make sourcing spares easier if necessary at a later date.

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

These pumps especially the Shurflow last much, much longer if they're switched off at their main switch after use and a tap opened for a bit to release the pressure. Even just for overnight should extend their life considerably. Being under pressure full time seems to eventually warp the plastic body and make them leak.

The Shurflos seem particularly prone to leakage though judging from several threads on these forums, so up to a point it points the finger at shoddy design/manufacturing quality. Maybe Shurflo have rectified the issue with the Aqua King II series, but given their lack of availability in the UK and the hefty carriage charge from the US, which would mean am Aqua King costing more or less double a Jabsco, it would be madness to take the risk; the money saved could be put towards a spare (or perhaps more fittingly a spare for the other Jabsco on the boat which is of unknown vintage). The Trail Kings are closer to the price of the Jabscos and more readily available, but from what others have said above the Jabsco seems to be the one to go for.

Your advice is very useful, however. We have got into the habit of turning the main pump (not the toilet pump i'm currently replacing) off when leaving the boat due to a dripping tap. This has since been rectified but i still turn the pump off at the switch for peace of mind.

Edited by Froggy

10 hours ago, Froggy said:

Great information, much appreciated, i'm definitely warming to the Jabsco, which seem to be highly regarded and very readily available in the UK, which should make sourcing spares easier if necessary at a later date.

The Shurflos seem particularly prone to leakage though judging from several threads on these forums, so up to a point it points the finger at shoddy design/manufacturing quality. Maybe Shurflo have rectified the issue with the Aqua King II series, but given their lack of availability in the UK and the hefty carriage charge from the US, which would mean am Aqua King costing more or less double a Jabsco, it would be madness to take the risk; the money saved could be put towards a spare (or perhaps more fittingly a spare for the other Jabsco on the boat which is of unknown vintage). The Trail Kings are closer to the price of the Jabscos and more readily available, but from what others have said above the Jabsco seems to be the one to go for.

Your advice is very useful, however. We have got into the habit of turning the main pump (not the toilet pump i'm currently replacing) off when leaving the boat due to a dripping tap. This has since been rectified but i still turn the pump off at the switch for peace of mind.

Folk should always switch pumps off when going out and leaving the boat unattended. If a big leak should suddenly occur, like a plastic pipe coming out of a fitting you could come back to a flooded out boat. Pumps should be audible too, so that you can hear it if the above mentioned should happen.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, bizzard said:

These pumps especially the Shurflow last much, much longer if they're switched off at their main switch after use and a tap opened for a bit to release the pressure. Even just for overnight should extend their life considerably. Being under pressure full time seems to eventually warp the plastic body and make them leak.

How long do your pumps last using this technique mr bizzard, if you don't mind me asking ? 

About 8 years on this Shurflow Aguaking. I have another spare which I gained on a job. They thought they had pump trouble and bought another which I fitted, only it wasn't pump trouble, two pipes were on the wrong places on the calorifier. They didn't want the pump that I took off, another Aquaking, which I tested and is in excellent order after I'd reset the pressure adjuster which they'd fiddled with.

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

Folk should always switch pumps off when going out and leaving the boat unattended. If a big leak should suddenly occur, like a plastic pipe coming out of a fitting you could come back to a flooded out boat. Pumps should be audible too, so that you can hear it if the above mentioned should happen.

Fully endorse that 

Had many a happy hour with sponges and buckets mopping up icy cold and dirty  water from under the floor.

Tip wear strong marigolds or better if you have to do this as there may be some nasty little shards of wood or metal etc, living in the bilge. Not a nice experience shards of mettle in finger in cold dirty water.