Moving boat from Cheshire to Warwickshire - Coventry / Oxford Canal or R Soar / GU? Advice please

speedypete202

Featured Posts

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this,

This weekend and next week I am moving a boat from Middlewich to Dunchurch Pools. The shortest and 'easiest' route is to go via the Coventry / Brum & Faze / North Oxford canals but we have a large crew and lots of time.  At the time of writing we are currently at Aston Marina - 29/03 and are trying to decide on which route to take. We did the River Soar and Grand Union canal back in 2016 and thought it was a nice route so as we have the time we would prefer to go that way. 

I was just wondering if the river levels over the next week might make that a bad plan as there is some rain forecast. Mostly it looks like Monday has a few hours of 'heavy rain' and then 'light rain' all day but the weekend before, and the rest of the week after, looks OK. 

We have done a fair amount of cruising on other rivers and prefer them to the canals but as the boat needs to be there by Sat morning (07/04) so having to wait for levels to drop is going to be troublesome.

Any advice on this from people that know more about that section would be really helpful.

Thanks

Edited by speedypete202

We are on the Lower Soar at the moment and its quite low, although this evenings rain seems to be pushing it up a bit. Planning to move tommorow through Leicester, the worst of the rain is supposed to be heavy showers from now until "SNOW" on Monday. Trent seems quite do-able , a bit of fresh in it but you are going downhill until the Soar turn. 

If we set off in the morning(I will post to confirm) chances are it will be ok for the rest of the week unless Mondays weather front gest stuck over the East Midlands.

18 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We are on the Lower Soar at the moment and its quite low, although this evenings rain seems to be pushing it up a bit. Planning to move tommorow through Leicester, the worst of the rain is supposed to be heavy showers from now until "SNOW" on Monday. Trent seems quite do-able , a bit of fresh in it but you are going downhill until the Soar turn. 

If we set off in the morning(I will post to confirm) chances are it will be ok for the rest of the week unless Mondays weather front gest stuck over the East Midlands.

The models are showing most of the fronts next week moving across us faster with the jet stream moving north to its normal position. Doubt if the snow (rain) on Monday will linger. I can't see any days of continuous rain next week but it won't be dry either. 

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The models are showing most of the fronts next week moving across us faster with the jet stream moving north to its normal position. Doubt if the snow (rain) on Monday will linger. I can't see any days of continuous rain next week but it won't be dry either. 

It’s forecast for 7C on Monday anyway so even if it snows all day it won’t settle. :)

32 minutes ago, speedypete202 said:

Great - thanks very much. Really appreciate the help!

Canal Plan reckons we would probably be at Shardlow for Sunday afternoon if that helps. 

I would aim for Syston or Birstall(pubs at both) Monday and then Kilby Bridge or beyond on Tuesday. My favourite river and navigation is Norton Junction to the Soar mouth.

Ok,Sticking my neck out here,  forget it, do  the simple route.

Yesterdays rain has been silly,  far more than forecast and more tomorrow and Monday. ..the jetsream is  back on its way north. 

Several sections were in red yesterday, ,before the rain started , now most of the Soar is going into EA flood as opposed to navigation flood......

Trent is shooting up fast too.

The river Sence  (one which feeds the Soar) has completely broken it' ' banks and the canal itself is about 4"higher than it should be, overtopping the towpath in many places near Kilsby Bridge.

I was clearing bywashes of reeds all the way up yesterday so the water could flow a bit easier.

20180331_081435.jpg

OK, thanks for this - We are currently at Arelwas and the river is in the yellow. If we are going to turn back and head the other way this would be a good place to decide that.

EDIT: Have to pick somebody up at Burton so will turn there and then go canal route. Will keep an eye on this throughout the day in case anything changes but with all the rain forecast I think that's unlikely.

Edited by speedypete202

haha OK. Right were about to go back onto river - I'll post some pics.

EDIT - He is going to just get to Lichfield. It's a short walk from the station to the canal. Should be there for 10.30 ish so he will have a bit of a wait.

Edited by speedypete202

Just in case anyone is in doubt, this is Cossington Lock on the Soar, where the Wreake and Soar join.

Pic courtesy of JerryP 

image000000.jpg

The Leicester (Raynesway)Marina staff advice yesterday was that the Soar was far too low to go into flood so I needn't rush to get off the river!!!!

Edited by matty40s

Also spotted possible breach starting near Wistow, don' know whether it's an official overflow or not, 

20180331_101853.jpg

20180331_101936.jpg

3 minutes ago, speedypete202 said:

Oh crikey! I remember when the lock in Tewkesbury looked like that.

I'ts a shame we cant do that route but never mind. Might give us a chance to explore the Ashby canal a little.

Thanks for all the help and advice. Glad we are not trapped somewhere.

IMG_4119.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

Reckon you only just made it before they lock it!!!

Err, hopefully the water is supposed to go over there. I don't think the canals need another breach. Had enough trouble with the Middlewich one!

When we went down I was thinking the flows were more like when we came back from Naburn in the autumn. We passed one boat heading downstream as we went back up. There were two CRT staff walking down to the lock as we came out of it. Chatting to them one of them said they had never seen it this high! They have not closed it yet but it's only an inch or so from the red.