Langley Mill Boatyard

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

What, the worst poetry in the galaxy?   :blink:

Vogon poetry is in fact, the third worst in the universe. 

The second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria. During a recitation by their poet master Grunthos the Flatulent of his poem "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning" four of his audience died of internal haemorrhaging and the president of the Mid-Galactic Arts Nobbling Council survived by gnawing one of his own legs off. Grunthos was reported to have been "disappointed" by the poem's reception, and was about to embark on a reading of his 12-book epic entitled "My Favourite Bathtime Gurgles" when his own major intestine, in a desperate attempt to save humanity, leapt straight up through his neck and throttled his brain. 

The very worst poetry of all perished along with its creator, Paul Neil Milne Johnstone of Redbridge, in the destruction of the planet Earth. Vogon poetry is mild by comparison.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I seem to recall it was only a "computer" program anyway,probably had a virus.:D

No, "The Earth" was the computer constructed to run the most complex computer program ever written, to calculate what the actual ultimate question of life, the universe and everything really is, the question to which the answer is 42, Shirley.  

It ran for 40,000 years or some such period, then the instant it was about to print out out The Ultimate Question, You Know, The Ultimate Question Of Life, The Universe And Everything, the Vogons demolished it in order to construct their intersellar bypass.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I seem to recall it was only a "computer" program anyway,probably had a virus.:D

Oh that's good we're all still here then - but I was still right to worry about the "mostly" harmless, it was the mostly that got us.

I Will have a reread. I have a list of books on my KOBO that may last me till the next century. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, "The Earth" was the computer constructed to run the most complex computer program ever written, to calculate what the actual ultimate question of life, the universe and everything really is, the question to which the answer is 42, Shirley.  

It ran for 40,000 years or some such period, then the instant it was about to print out out The Ultimate Question, You Know, The Ultimate Question Of Life, The Universe And Everything, the Vogons demolished it in order to construct their intersellar bypass.

Which they later re-routed, avoiding the solar system entirely. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Which they later re-routed, avoiding the solar system entirely. 

Yup - need to reread. :huh:

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, "The Earth" was the computer

....well, I was close!

I was sad enough to play the text based hhgttg game the other month, Either I have grown very old, or it became very dated. Perhaps both.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1g84m0sXpnNCv84GpN2PLZG/the-game-30th-anniversary-edition

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Yup - need to reread. :huh:

The problem is, or rather one of the problems, for there are many, a sizeable proportion of which are continually clogging up the civil, commercial, and criminal courts in all areas of the Galaxy, and especially, where possible, the more corrupt ones, this.
The previous sentence makes sense. That is not the problem.
This is:
Change.
Read it through again and you'll get it.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But you look like a Vogon....

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Dr Bob has a point,There are certain similarities.

tve1362-2-155.jpg

It's cos I'm green innit.  :(

I have nicer ears - and eyebrows :glare:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I liked the one - "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning"

It goes like:

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts
With my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

When I get my nice new boat I now know where to look for her name - Crinkly Bindlewrdles, Drangle Hiooptious, or possibly Grabbleblotchits.

Maybe not Gruntbuggle though. :unsure:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

When I get my nice new boat I now know where to look for her name - Crinkly Bindlewrdles, Drangle Hiooptious, or possibly Grabbleblotchits.

Maybe not Gruntbuggle though. :unsure:

How about "Pan galactic gargle blaster" or "Slartibartfast"

Edited by rusty69