Safety requirements for waterways license

vonBenningen

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, vonBenningen said:

Well a yacht for use on canals/rivers for the most part. A gold licensed yacht. But one that's good enough to cross the channel. Yachts seem to be better value in general

A yacht with a good sized keel will be nice and stable, and if you get one with the hydraulic extending masts bridges shouldn't be a problem.

There is always a way !!!

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Well A yacht would be a step nearer to owning a proper boat, not one of these floating skip sewer tubes:)

but not so great on a canal.  I think if the OP wants a cheap way to get on the inland waterways a little cruiser with an outboard is a good idea.  If this particular one represents good value for money or not, I am not the right person to say.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not that many yachts capable of safely crossing the channel have only a 6ft 10 in beam - say 7ft at a pinch. Then there is the keel question. I doubt many bilge keelers  draw less than 3ft (sat 2ft 6" to be safe) so it will have to be a drop keel and I bet it rolls horribly with the keel up and the keel case takes up internals pace.

Bilge keeler seems ok for canal/river use - as long as it has a draft of 2ft 6 or less, no? 

Edited by vonBenningen

5 minutes ago, vonBenningen said:

Bilge keeler seems ok for canal/river use - as long as it's below 2ft 6 no?

River use probably yes but have a look at the depths give for the various stretches of the Thames. I suspect 2ft 6in may be chancing it towards Leachlade. On canals I would not be so sure, we know 3ft draught trad boats work the canals but I would hate to keep dragging GRP keels through the silt, especially when I hit a car or motor bike. Then how close can you get one to the bank, I doubt you will have much room for carrying a long plank.

Edited by Tony Brooks

22 hours ago, vonBenningen said:

I'm currently the high bidder with slightly cold feet at £896. My max bid a couple of days ago was £900 and considering he had quite a few bids already I was assuming I wouldn't get it for that. Considering insurance is much less than I expected, I may be willing to go to £1000 max. 

As a continuous cruiser, if and when I attach an outboard (I've asked whether the steering is functional), presumably I wouldn't need a mooring initially to get licensed for that?

There are other boats in similar condition you could consider.

This one is priced about right:

http://www.moonsbridgemarina.co.uk/boat_sales/40/piglet

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

River use probably yes but have a look at the depths give for the various stretches of the Thames. I suspect 2ft 6in may be chancing it towards Leachlade. On canals I would not be so sure, we know 3ft draught trad boats work the canals but I would hate to keep dragging GRP keels through the silt, especially when I hit a car or motor bike.Insert other media

Flat bottomed 3ft draughts work....Round bottomed 3ft draughts work better.

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

There are other boats in similar condition you could consider.

This one is priced about right:

http://www.moonsbridgemarina.co.uk/boat_sales/40/piglet

I am trying to talk myself out of finding some hardstanding to put this one on for a summer project....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1963-Freeman-30-Aft-Cockpit-very-rare-Freeman-Cruiser-needs-full-restoration/273098369589?hash=item3f95ee6a35:g:W78AAOSwxnVanvpp

Just now, vonBenningen said:

What's the problem with twin/bilge keels on canals? 

Not sure...Back in the 80s I unstepped the mast on my little bilge keeler and took it inland for a year or so before the lure of a proper inland boat became irresistible.

9 minutes ago, carlt said:

I am trying to talk myself out of finding some hardstanding to put this one on for a summer project....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1963-Freeman-30-Aft-Cockpit-very-rare-Freeman-Cruiser-needs-full-restoration/273098369589?hash=item3f95ee6a35:g:W78AAOSwxnVanvpp

Oooh, I like that :)

15 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

River use probably yes but have a look at the depths give for the various stretches of the Thames. I suspect 2ft 6in may be chancing it towards Leachlade. On canals I would not be so sure, we know 3ft draught trad boats work the canals but I would hate to keep dragging GRP keels through the silt, especially when I hit a car or motor bike. Then how close can you get one to the bank, I doubt you will have much room for carrying a long plank.

We will let you know how we get on with our 3ft draft at Lechlade later this summer :D

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

We will let you know how we get on with our 3ft draft at Lechlade later this summer :D

Just don't get near the left bank and you approach the Round House, or you will find out what shallow means, and it is a gravel bottom so not very GRP friendly.