Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
stokin'

Length of boats

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Ive got a laser guided missile will that help get the length accurate?

Won't that reduce the length?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 methods

1 helicopter 2 laser sights. Fly boat up to anticipated length of boat. Make right angles with lasers stern and bow varying height til you get perfect equalateral triangle, with the boat as the base. Read altmeter. This will tell you absolutely nothing, but it got you going, failing that an isosceles triangle wont help either.

 

Method 2. Blue tack bit of string to join where stem post meets bottom un ravel string length of boat cut string at tip of rudder blade.

measure string 

take a gas axe. Cut the stem post verticaly upwards at right angles to the ground. You now have a boat the length of the string.

use spare blue tack to fill in the ‘bit of a hole

if you buy a fender measure and add to string length.

if you insist you can measure the bit youve cut off  and add to the total  to get the initial length just measure the widest bit and use simple maths or if you are under 40 an iphone app.

most boats are not improved by welding the section back on and if you do that,  because it may be a bit wibbly the initial length will be lost. Id stick with the blue tack especially for wide boats on deep water.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes you can wind a bigger boat than the hole, it just depends how far up the bank you can ram the bow.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two pieces of wood (slightly longer than the beam of the boat)

Two pieces of string longer than the boat.

Tie one of the pieces of string onto one end of a piece of wood, and the other piece of string to the other end of the piece of wood. Hold, wedge or clamp wood against the bow.

Run string down each side of the boat and tie off onto the ends of the other piece of wood held tight against the stern.

Measure both lengths of string, add together and divide by two.

That's the length of the boat (to within a fairly close tolerance)

Quicker to do than to describe.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a 62 ft lock. Put boat in. Close gates. If boat fits..<62ft. If not >62ft. Measure lock with laser thingy (not with an infrequent red thermometer) if unsure of lock length.

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Find a 62 ft lock. Put boat in. Close gates. If boat fits..<62ft. If not >62ft. Measure lock with laser thingy (not with an infrequent red thermometer) if unsure of lock length.

Or just cruise around trying every lock until you find one that you just 'touch both ends', check with C&RT what their stated dimensions are and Dr Bob's your Uncle

 

Edit - you may need to firstly explain to C&RT what a lock is.

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

Edit - you may need to firstly explain to C&RT what a lock is.

Well that's going to involve a lot of faffing around!:D

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Two pieces of wood (slightly longer than the beam of the boat)

Two pieces of string longer than the boat.

Tie one of the pieces of string onto one end of a piece of wood, and the other piece of string to the other end of the piece of wood. Hold, wedge or clamp wood against the bow.

Run string down each side of the boat and tie off onto the ends of the other piece of wood held tight against the stern.

Measure both lengths of string, add together and divide by two.

That's the length of the boat (to within a fairly close tolerance)

Quicker to do than to describe.

Done this but now i have 2 holes in my boat! Any one have any wet straw to plug the hole?

Edited by billybobbooth
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billybobbooth said:

Done this but now i have 2 holes in my boat! Any one have any wet straw to plug the hole?

How tight did you pull the string?!

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

How tight did you pull the string?!

He told me to use 2 long bits of wood and clamp to the bow and sturn so i took a couple of planks out and nailed to bow and sturn,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

He told me to use 2 long bits of wood and clamp to the bow and sturn so i took a couple of planks out and nailed to bow and sturn,

I'd recommend holding or wedging next time, after you fix the holes.

Edited by TheBiscuits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'd recommend holding or wedging next time, after you fix the holes.

I can lend you some bluetack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

I think its gone green.

Squishy and green? Mmmm you're sure its bluetack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr Bob said:

I think its gone green.

That's how the condition was named.  A doctor from Newcastle said exactly those words. - Wa'hey man! I think it's gangrene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only use the white stuff, last time i hit the blue stuff with a hammer it just squashed it took me ages go turn it into a nail shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's how the condition was named.  A doctor from Newcastle said exactly those words. - Wa'hey man! I think it's gangrene.

He was the same chap who on different patient said - "We've got a gonner 'ere".

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting back to these holes, my green looking bluetack will work if you can measure how big the hole is. Have you got one of those laser guided laser measurement thingies? You know, the ones that are good for measuring how long a boat is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Have you got one of those laser guided laser measurement thingies? 

I'm not sure that CEP* will help with determining  a boat length.

*circular error probable not the mushroom!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To measure my boat length is easy, hook tape measure over stern walk, through galley and saloon then through cross head into cabin and out front doors to bow, now pull tape tight and that's the length. Width involves the addition of 2 spirit levels.

Neil.

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

To measure my boat length is easy, hook tape measure over stern walk, through galley and saloon then through cross head into cabin and out front doors to bow, now pull tape tight and that's the length. Width involves the addition of 2 spirit levels.

Neil.

 

Your boat is wider than it is long? :giggles:

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.