Getting moved on by CRT

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Good guess.  That is exactly what they are doing with it - it is very good soil, as is all of Tarleton Moss.  It gets fed through the big power screen to sift out all the lumpy bits, then is is spread out across the fields.

I do the same in a far smaller fashion when our garden pond gets its yearly clean out. The silt and muck smells disgusting but the border plants love it. 

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes there has been major dredging works here.

More importantly still, South of Leighton in the Grove Lock to Church Lock pound, (where just North of Church you could get grounded mid channel), and again from Church to Slapton.

That's good to hear. We didn't experience those pounds: we winded at Leighton and we're heading northwards again.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa
Echo.

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes there has been major dredging works here.

More importantly still, South of Leighton in the Grove Lock to Church Lock pound, (where just North of Church you could get grounded mid channel), and again from Church to Slapton.

(Personally I have never found Leighton to Three Locks anything like as bad).

My concern though is that much of the dredgings have been lost by "piling" the offside with those tanalised wooden stakes, and plastic mesh, and putting the sludge behind it.

Allegedly such "piling" should last 20 years, but there is evidence not that far from here of it starting to fail after only a quarter of that time.  I fear that within 10 years much of it will have collapsed, and much of that silt will be right back where it was removed from.

I hope I'm wrong, but fear I will not be!

5abe4089dbd17_20170920_132946(1).jpg.b797884619897b4f7c4055b4a2f484b3.jpg

This was the scene last September below Three Locks.

5abe415994f89_20170920_165058(1).jpg.65e71b1c41eeb472608506c8b5f46677.jpg

Yes the dredging between Church and Grove is most welcome - speaking as someone who was stuck mid channel and having to call on the help of a passer by to empty the Church lock for us to flush us off.

As far as I could tell all the dredgings were being spread over a large area on an adjacent field - presumably as fertilizer.

Yes last year i really struggles threw that section i normall sit close to the bottom but when moving im at about 3 foot 6- 3 foot 8. I need 3 foot 2 to get engine room right into the bank,

But yes that section has been much better so far but level has been up too unlike last year where was a good 2-6 inches off in places.

They have indeed used this style of banking and put the sludge the other side. As 1 point i thought it was the farmer that had done some bank work but was like it in a few places. I never understand why they dont do deals with some farmers as some can use it as fertiliser or even for land fill sights.

7 hours ago, rusty69 said:

That's what i do with the custard mrs Rusty makes, before i spread it on my spotted dick. 

I'd like to get back to Rusty's spotted dick and what he is going to do about it. Custard is just not going to cut the mustard. Alan's suggestion is far better. I'd go and get some professional advice.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I'd like to get back to Rusty's spotted dick and what he is going to do about it. Custard is just not going to cut the mustard. Alan's suggestion is far better. I'd go and get some professional advice.

Its too late. I ate it!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Why did ya think I've been asleep on top of it all day.Still trying to recover.

Aww Bless. But it is a very Eastery looking egg - you did well - considering it's bigger than you are. :D

12 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Just out of curiosity - what do CRT do with the sludge and stuff they pull out. Whats pictured looks like it would go stagnant pretty quickly.

In general, a long and tedious environmental licencing process. As I understand it, most dredging material has to be considered as undesirable waste and so comes under the waste disposal regulatory environment, as with any other industrial waste. The difficulty arise when ten material is moved off CaRT land. So, whenever possible, it is deposited alongside where the land is owned, sometimes levelling up the towpath (albeit with a short term horrid condition!) I have spotted several places where a larger area is owned by CaRT and available for their own use (eg at the top end of the Trent and Mersey close to the tunnels) Saves a shed load of money if they can use that facility as taking it to someone else I think also involved landfill tax, or maybe that is my imagination.