Toolkit recommendations

Chris J W

Featured Posts

1) Routine maintenance is typically every 100 hours.

2) Regardless of the engine that you fit, the environment into which it is fitted means that there will be a need to check that things haven't worked loose on a weekly basis.

Plus, I always find that you get along better with an engine if you do your own routine stuff, and your own repairs where possible.

So that's spanners and screwdrivers. What else-screws, nuts, bolts ? And what about spares (I always carry a spare starter and alternator-cheap from ebay).

Guest wanted

When my dad retired he handed down his Blue point (Snap on) socket set and spanners to me. Really nice tools that I could never afford, but I am scared sh*tless of loosing bits to the cut!

(cue Magnet man)

I was always told that you should buy the best tools you can afford. Are the Halfords ones OK or are they made from cast lead, like 1960s Honda spanners?

A vote here for Halfords professional range, I have a set and they are good qulity.

Halfords often have offers on and thats the best time to buy them

[

Halfords profesional"tools at one time were made by Facom one of the worlds leading tool makers not sure who makes them now

David

No idea who does halfords stuff, but Facom now own Britool, a lot of Britool stuff is just rebadged Facom. decent tools, but not (IMO) in the same league as the old British Britool.

If you want 'old school' new British made mechanics' tools, King Dick seem to be pretty much your last resort.

Another brand for decent serviceable tools for a reasonable price is Teng, a respectable Chinese (?) brand.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

When my dad retired he handed down his Blue point (Snap on) socket set and spanners to me. Really nice tools that I could never afford, but I am scared sh*tless of loosing bits to the cut!

(cue Magnet man)

Never use tools, on the outside of your boat that you can't (or don't want) to replace.

I have a complete set of budget tools, on the boat, and posh tools at home.

It has to be said, though, that some of the cheap stuff isn't that bad.

I was always told that you should buy the best tools you can afford. Are the Halfords ones OK or are they made from cast lead, like 1960s Honda spanners?

Halfords professional for me - lifetime guarantee too.

This

is the newer version of the set I have, at £99 it's a bargain.

Hi,

I have a good set of tools, collected over the years, but never buy 'gaget' tools at shows, most are shown by 'slick operators' and they prove useless when you get them home.

Best tools I have are lots of woodworking tools stamped 'S GRIFFIN' - my great grandfather, and his tool stamp, from when he was a cabinet maker working at Tickfords (was Lagonda now Aston Martin) in Newport Pagnell and at the Carriage works at Wolverton.

If you want to see or buy any tools (and garden tools) visit the Tool Aid factory in Chesham, they collect secondhand tools for repair and shipping out to Africa, I dropped some off there and have never seen so many used tools of every description and might sell you some.

I collected a good range of Whitworth spanners for the 'Gardner' at stalls at various Steam Fairs, prices are quite reasonable.

Leo

Nowt wrong with the Halfords decent range. :lol:

Halfords professional for me - lifetime guarantee too.

This

is the newer version of the set I have, at £99 it's a bargain.

Hey guvvner dya wanna buy a watch... :lol:

I work in the 'Trade' and have used all sorts of kit. Most of mine is Snap-On and has served me well but tends to get nicked if I don't keep a close watch. I recently completed a single-handed trip to the Azores (small yacht NOT Nb!) and needed a comprehensive kit but didn't want to take the expensive stuff into a salty environment. I got a Draper boxed set which I think cost about £90. It does a great job, has all I have needed so far and now is my standard tool kit on the Nb. Boxed sets have the advantage of packing away neatly and you can see at a glance what is missing. On retirement I shall sell virtually all of my work kit and keep the draper stuff.

Wouldn't Screwfix be a cheaper place to get tools from than Halfrauds? I think the quality is ok.

For the occasional one-off possibly. However the toolkit mentioned earlier by MJG is excellent value for money and Screwfix don't sell anything like it.

I bought a metal tool chest type kit from Makro for £59 a few years back and it contains just about anything I'd ever be likely to need on the boat. The quality is good enough for occasional use.

I see Amazon are doing a great deal on a Draper kit for less than 30 quid with free delivery, but OP needed to be able to visit the store.

Tony

For the occasional one-off possibly. However the toolkit mentioned earlier by MJG is excellent value for money and Screwfix don't sell anything like it.

I bought a metal tool chest type kit from Makro for £59 a few years back and it contains just about anything I'd ever be likely to need on the boat. The quality is good enough for occasional use.

I see Amazon are doing a great deal on a Draper kit for less than 30 quid with free delivery, but OP needed to be able to visit the store.

Tony

Both of these would do a job. The Professional range from Halfords has worked well for me but at £30 the Draper set would be good for a little light use.

Perhaps Amazon should do a deliver to boat service.