Windows 10 is actually a virus, discuss

reg

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Word, Powerpoint, and Excel all seem to work but as I don't need Access  I don't know. I will try to install it and report back. I have a feeling it may not.

No need to check tony but thanks for the offer  not going to bother with it will use Librebase instead. 

Posted last night but did not go for some reason

Right, tried to install Access. Fired up Setup with the WINE launcher , went through the usual MS dialogues and install started. Towards the end it threw up a couple of error messages. about not being able do something.  Access complains it has no license but the other Office programs don't seem to be affected in the same way.

A bit of googling suggest some work-rounds involving manually installing files in the relevant directory and one source says you need internet explorer installed to do the trick. The WINE database suggests Access 2 and Access 2000 upwards run but Access 97 will not.

Now how the blazes do I uninstall and incomplete Access insulation :lol:

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Right, tried to install Access. Fired up Setup with the WINE launcher , went through the usual MS dialogues and install started. Towards the end it threw up a couple of error messages. about not being able do something.  Access complains it has no license but the other Office programs don't seem to be affected in the same way.

A bit of googling suggest some work-rounds involving manually installing files in the relevant directory and one source says you need internet explorer installed to do the trick. The WINE database suggests Access 2 and Access 2000 upwards run but Access 97 will not.

Sorry about that

In my nerdy  days I listed and categorised every file that was shipped with an Access run time file, the one that can be shipped to a user as an application. The grand total came to over 1300 files all of which were critical. No wonder it's difficult to install in Wine. 

Noticed another wheeze when I installed latest windows updates Windows starting complaining I had a problem and that it would fix it for me, yeah yeah yeah, came back with the answer that I had not set my connection to connect to automatically and that it would fix thus 'problem' which it duly did. Basically it took away my option, or at least made it difficult for me  to connect and disconnect manually. Could be part of the strategy to have you permanently connected to Microsoft ready for the subscription model that will come? Anyway need to keep an eye out to see if anyone else gets this when they update. 

Remember with Microsoft remain paranoid it's your only chance

• 2 months later...
On 10/09/2017 at 17:43, NB Lola said:

I tried a couple of times and eventually it worked. It was a real pain to get it to run and I did have to back up to win7 (cached in a recovery drive) once and re-install. On a new laptop, of course it's pre-installed and the laptop has been designed for win 10 (usually).  Granted I did use an unlimited service to sort.

Back to the install I did from win7.  It works fine, way better than win 7.

Persevere or buy a new laptop/tablet with it pre-installed.

Hi everyone, im a boating newbie but not a Windows 10 newbie. I use 10 but dont like the spyware thats built into the software. For example, what's a keylogger?  I googled it and it says its used by criminals to steal your vital information like password bank details etc. So why is there a keylogger built into Windows 10? The cure is a free bit of software called DWS LITE. I have used it for a while now. My boot up time is halved. Junk mail non existent. Downside browser wants to reinstall the spyware which I just ignore.

On 12/09/2017 at 08:30, Tony Brooks said:

Iobit uninstaller works for me. Use powerful  scan to remove all residue software hooks 

My work boot up is 17 seconds, to a corporate AD controlled service, fastest I ever had - win10.  Settings need to be understood when determining privacy options and on my private device I control all requests for outbound data, I disable ports as needed and my machine is as clean as I can get it.  All that said, for home use I use an 11.7 ipad now! 

I take ages and ages to boot up. My laces are miles too long. Aldi boots. I have to wind them round and round the back, in and out of fairleads ending up with a massive chunky triple bow just to use them up so I don't trip over them.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, the blind novice said:

Iobit uninstaller works for me. Use powerful  scan to remove all residue software hooks 

Whilst iobit uninstaller looks interesting and may be a good heads up The problem Tony refers to is uninstalling Access from WINE in Linux. However appreciate the pointer.

Just out of interest was Blizzard involved in designing the windows OS? Has many of his hallmarks.B)

I'm running Office 2000 - W10 keeps asking me if i want to register the programs, if I say yes nothing happens, if I say no nothing happens and everythng keeps running just the same.  No idea what's on the disk ( I don't use Access, just Word & Excel ) but it implies Access might be - if it's any use to you pm me an address and I'll post it to you.   I seem to have two copies provided by my friendly local boffin.

23 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm running Office 2000 - W10 keeps asking me if i want to register the programs, if I say yes nothing happens, if I say no nothing happens and everythng keeps running just the same.  No idea what's on the disk ( I don't use Access, just Word & Excel ) but it implies Access might be - if it's any use to you pm me an address and I'll post it to you.   I seem to have two copies provided by my friendly local boffin.

Thats very kind of you but I have junked windows altogether now and have gone completely Linux, big learning curve but i feel it is worth it. Runs faster, not constantly nagged to do thinks I don't want to do  and I have, most importantly, full control over my Internet access and bandwidth.

Again a appreciate your kind offer but won't be needing it.

Obviously, we all know that if you remain on an older version support stops as do security patches, one of the reasons wannacry screwed so many NHS Trust’s.  Microsoft released a patch even for unsupported Microsoft OS, because the numpties did not keep servers etc patched properly/correct AV DAT update files.  If you operate this way, you need to ensure you have effective firewall/av.  Many people think the nasty people would not be interested in single individuals, wrong as these people run insecure machines which the nasties infect and use as part of a bot farm to DDOS web services or leave key logging on so they can nick your credentials.

If you upgrade your OS on an old machine, main problem is machine architecture not being sufficiently up to date, hence having to arse around.  This is not confined to MS, Apple are the same.

if you think, nah not bothered, good luck.

57 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

If you upgrade your OS on an old machine, main problem is machine architecture not being sufficiently up to date, hence having to arse around.  This is not confined to MS, Apple are the same.

Typing this on my old netbook with 2gb ram and  1.66ghz processor and 144gb harddisk, currently installed with fully uptodate Linux mint and number of uptodate applications.

Total disk usage 17.8gb with 126gb free space

same disk when windows 10 installed became fully clogged up with failed windows update and install files.

The above specification is poor for windows but I can happily run many Linux applications on it. 

In the last half hour, before typing this, I have fully updated the OS and applications. Total cost zero, time spend minimal.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, reg said:

Typing this on my old netbook with 2gb ram and  1.66ghz processor and 144gb harddisk, currently installed with fully uptodate Linux mint and number of uptodate applications.

same disk when windows 10 installed became fully clogged up with failed windows update and install files.

The above specification is poor for windows but I can happily run many Linux applications on it. 

In the last half hour, before typing this, I have fully updated the OS and applications. Total cost zero, time spend minimal.

My argument relates to win 10 and the architecture(s) it is designed for; other OS have different requirements in relation to architecture.  I am not recommending any OS, just giving you potential impact re MS.

3 hours ago, reg said:

I am tempted to try Mint, but am a bit worried it will be slower than my current Lubuntu offering on my ancient netbook.

I have a copy of linux-lite on an old memory stick (8gb from memory) which I use as a repair option when windows machines are so messed up they can't boot themselves.

as an experiment I just booted my main machine from it (no hard drives attached)

the system booted in 45 seconds (a little slow due to limited throughput from the memory stick)
it correctly identified my video card and the 3 monitors attached to it (and more surprisingly correctly set them up as one triple width desktop)
all hardware is working including a couple of unusual radio cards.

aside from a slightly different font here (although that may be firefox not linux) everything seems familiar

for those thinking of trying linux gave a live usb install like this a chance

3 hours ago, NB Lola said:

My argument relates to win 10 and the architecture(s) it is designed for; other OS have different requirements in relation to architecture.  I am not recommending any OS, just giving you potential impact re MS.

Thats how i read it. I wouldn't advocate Linux for general users as its more geared towards a development environment rather than an office or home use.

The main difference as I see it is that;

Windows tries to hide the underlying os from the user and tries to do everything for them, for a lot of users that is not a bad thing, for myself that is a bad thing.

Linux allows you as much access to the OS as you want and as much configuration as you want. That is what I require but it can be pretty cryptic at times trying to decipher where configuration files are and how to configure them, most of the info i have obtained is from the Internet some of it excellent, some of it not so excellent and some of it just plain wrong.

If you want things done for you then its windows

If you want maximum flexibilty then, for me its Linux.

Horses for courses

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I am tempted to try Mint, but am a bit worried it will be slower than my current Lubuntu offering on my ancient netbook.

You can try it from a USB, much as JESS has done above^^. Has the advantage that you also have a recovery USB to hand if your machine should stick, also makes a complete reinstall a breeze.

Edited by reg

1 minute ago, reg said:

You can try it from a USB, much as JESS has done above^^. Has the advantage that you also have a recovery USB to hand if your machine should stick, also makes a complete reinstall a breeze.

Just downloading it now to do just that.

5 minutes ago, reg said:

Be interested to know how you find it as you probably have more Linux experience than me.

I very rarely delve into the terminal stuff, just use it as a win xp replacement with updates.

ETA. I like my old netbook and will keep it alive until they bring out a netbook replacement (well, I can live in hope)

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, reg said:

Be interested to know how you find it as you probably have more Linux experience than me.

Right. Been test driving mint for a couple of hours.

Compared to Lubuntu on my ancient netbook, it seems marginally slower, and slower to boot. It could be that i'm running it from a slow usb stick compared to my solid state hdd. On a plus side, it is much prettier than Lubuntu. 

Edited by rusty69

3 hours ago, reg said:

I wouldn't advocate Linux for general users as its more geared towards a development environment rather than an office or home use.

There are a number of very mature Linux distributions out there that are an excellent desktop environment for any user that doesn't actually NEED Windows only applications - otherwise you wouldn't be using it yourself, would you?

I use Opensuse - have done since the days when very little could be done without resorting to console commands - the last few years releases could be used by just about anyone who could boot a Windows machine...

I appreciate your comment about 'develpoment environment' but it wouldn't serve to encourage anyone to get their feet wet with the alternatives to Microsoft (and to a smaller extent Apple) operating systems.

Suggestion of another USB boot fun system - Puppy Linux - tiny and fast, even faster when installed.

I have to say that the biggest issue I have with Windows 10 are the bl**dy updates! I was running fine when a big update to Windows/Windows Defender basically fried my hard drive since it conflicted with other programmes that were already loaded. The upshot was that I took the computer to PC World at Rochdale who originally told me that I probably had a load of viruses on the computer. He took it away and scanned it supposedly to clear them all (he didn't find much). When I returned to collect the computer he advised me that, despite his efforts the hard drive was still running at 100% but not actually doing anything. The solution he advised was to replace the hard drive. He temporarily raised my hopes when he said he had a Windows 7 programme he could replace Windows 10 with, I couldn't have been happier, sadly he let me down by telling me that the disc was 3 years old and hadn't been activated, so I've had to carry on with the crap Windows 10.

There was some good news from this sad story though since I replaced my 1 TB HDD with a 250 Gb SSD and although I've lost a lot of memory (this happens as you get older:unsure:) the start up time is fantastic. When my old HDD had been fried it took 1 hour and 15 minutes to close down, my new SSD can be opened and closed down again in less than 20 seconds, one happy bunny here:D.

To continue the sad tale however, after replacing the Hard Drive and re-installing Windows 10 the bl**dy thing then updated itself again. I have a monthly allowance of 15Gb which is more than adequate for my needs, Microsoft cheerfully helped themselves to 8Gb of this for the s*dding updates!! Every couple of weeks another update comes out, the last one was 2Gb and the one that is waiting to load (I've now switched off the updates) is 2.5Gb. What this is now meaning is that every couple of weeks I am heading off to the library to update Windows on the free internet available.

It seems to me that Windows 10 is no longer designed for the poor plebs using it but to monetise purely for the benefit of Microsoft. I have managed to disable most of the crap that sends the data to Microsoft and I wouldn't use Cortana for anything, even if they paid me cash to do so. They seem to make 2 basic assumption, neither of which applies in my case, the first is that everyone is on unlimited Broadband (mine is metered) and secondly that everyone wants to store everything on the Cloud (why would I do so? it uses my allowance to upload it, and then again to download it should I want to do so). I am rapidly sickening of Windows 10, and don't get me started on how the only Office you can get now is the crap Office 365:angry2: