Swans attack

PD1964

Featured Posts

I know that this thread is a piss take by someone who's had one too many shandies but:

As native wild birds, swans enjoy statutory protection under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and it is an offence to intentionally injure, take or kill a wild swan. 

The Act similarly protects the eggs and nests of swans. It is an offence to take or possess the egg of a wild mute swan, or to damage or destroy the nest of a mute swan whilst in use or being built.

Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/m/muteswan/law.aspx#bLyYHdEpsmRx85G7.99

On 05/08/2017 at 18:14, PD1964 said:

Hi, what's the score with shooting a swan?

Discharging a firearm in a public place is probably a criminal offence. 

Just a hunch though...

More seriously, are you telling us you cruise around with a firearm and live ammunition in your boat?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Discharging a firearm in a public place is probably a criminal offence. 

Just a hunch though...

More seriously, are you telling us you cruise around with a firearm and live ammunition in your boat?

Maybe hes a photographer? 

25 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Was it Adrian Mole? 

Coincidentally Adrian Mole had an ongoing battle with Swans throughout the book Adrian Mole and the weapons of mass destruction. 

"fighting off the attacking swans outside his loft on Rat Wharf in Leicester."

running joke throughout book that he couldn't go in or out of his loft apartment because of the vicious swans outside. Instead of trying to shoot them his tack was to appeal against them with his local council  much hilarity ensued.

1 minute ago, reg said:

Coincidentally Adrian Mole had an ongoing battle with Swans throughout the book Adrian Mole and the weapons of mass destruction. 

"fighting off the attacking swans outside his loft on Rat Wharf in Leicester."

running joke throughout book that he couldn't go in or out of his loft apartment because of the vicious swans outside. Instead of trying to shoot them his tack was to appeal against them with his local council  much hilarity ensued.

Im afraid I gave up after the first two books. Beer and girls beckoned. 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Im afraid I gave up after the first two books. Beer and girls beckoned. 

Only read it because I lived in the area where the fictional Rat Wharf Loft apartments were. 

Throughout the book he constantly asserts that  'did you know that a swan can break your arm?' 

And another little known Leicester in joke was that his bookshop employer Mr Carlton-Hayes was named after the long gone Leicestershire and Rutland lunatic asylum. Now that's probably something you never need to know. 

1 minute ago, reg said:

Only read it because I lived in the area where the fictional Rat Wharf Loft apartments were. 

Throughout the book he constantly asserts that  'did you know that a swan can break your arm?' 

And another little known Leicester in joke was that his bookshop employer Mr Carlton-Hayes was named after the long gone Leicestershire and Rutland lunatic asylum. Now that's probably something you never need to know. 

Ooh what a spooky coincidence. 

I know I may be feeding a troll but a couple of points.

Swans have only increased by 6% over the last 40 years so no danger of a sudden increase having been noticed.

A specific question was asked about penalties and does it happen.  Swans, as has been pointed out, are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside act.  prosecutions take place under that up and down the country often.  Most (all?) police forces have a dedicate Wildlife Officer dealing with such things.

The penalties are:

Tried with regards to each separate animal/site involved. If multiple organisms or sites are involved then defendant tried per animal/site involved:

• Up to £5,000 fine (incidents involving SSSIs can now incur fines of up to £20,000 under amendments made by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000).
  • Up to six months imprisonment
  • If the defendant is a corporation then the head of that corporation may also be tried as liable and face the fine and/or prison sentence.
Edited by Jerra
Punctuation and capitals

I was threatened by a mummy duck this morning when I walked past her three almost fully grown ducklings snoozing between the towpath and the canal.

At no point did I fear that she might break my arm. Fortunately it wasn't a swan or I might have cacked myself as I have heard that they are only too willing and able to break a man's arm. But not a woman's for some reason.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

As there were two concurrent threads on the same subject, I have locked the other one.

Why not do everyone a favour and lock this one as well. 

On second thoughts maybe not as we would then have to have another pointless discussion  on why 2 pointless threads were locked. 

Reg, I think you have answered your own question.

No one is forced to read or contribute to any thread. Those who are enjoying this one may continue to do so as long as they do not breachany rules. Others may ignore it. That seems fair enough to me.

On 05/08/2017 at 23:17, MrBeethoven said:

I was threatened by a mummy duck this morning when I walked past her three almost fully grown ducklings snoozing between the towpath and the canal.

At no point did I fear that she might break my arm. Fortunately it wasn't a swan or I might have cacked myself as I have heard that they are only too willing and able to break a man's arm. But not a woman's for some reason.

There are lots of cases of a swan failing to break a man's arm apparently.

There are lots of cases of the swan failing to break the same man's leg too. The bloke just stood there are let the swan get on with it, much to the embarrassment of the swan who lost a load of river-cred in the eyes of all his mates who were watching.

Doesn't seem pointless to me if it clears up once and for all whether or not we are in mortal danger every time we encounter a swan.

We need to be told!

For example, when I fed my my carrot peelings to two white swans and one black swan out of the side hatch earlier this evening was I risking life and limb?

The black swan seemed very aggressive but only towards one of the white swans, not to me. But perhaps if there hadn't been a white swan there it would have gone for me, possibly breaking my arm. That's why I asked my wife to take over the feeding as no-one has suggested, as far as I know, that women are at risk of having an arm broken.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

There are lots of cases of a swan failing to break a man's arm apparently.

There are lots of cases of the swan failing to break the same man's leg too. The bloke just stood there are let the swan get on with it, much to the embarrassment of the swan who lost a load of river-cred in the eyes of all his mates who were watching.

Its a conspiracy!  There a number of contributors who are determined to ruin my computer.