Former Anderton Company motor "Norway"

Featured Posts

As a matter of  interest what type of welder are you going to. Use for the planks  ?

ark /  or mig 

you are making a wonderful job of this build.  You should be proud of your self

Graham

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, jacko264 said:

As a matter of  interest what type of welder are you going to. Use for the planks  ?

ark /  or mig 

you are making a wonderful job of this build.  You should be proud of your self

Graham

Thanks for your kind words Graham, we're using a combination of mig and stick, weather dependent obviously, we plan to use 7024 iron powders on the outer chine weld, where we can we will mig but i've also got a load of 4mm rods which will be used in places. The tricky bit will be reducing heat deflection, but we have a plan for that.......

Not much from today, other than a section of chine plank and a rather nice twisty chine plank running into the stern post. That will be it for a few days, Hamilton moves from Edinburgh to Bristol this weekend so it's back to theatre for a bit!

20240427_184450.jpg

lskgvuwp.png

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, jacko264 said:

That’s looking very good  your talented   Looking forward to seeing more 

Graham

Thanks Graham.

it's very much a non standard build style but the only way we can achieve the complex shapes. I'll update more when I can!

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

Thanks Graham.

it's very much a non standard build style but the only way we can achieve the complex shapes. I'll update more when I can!

How many yards of weld do you thing there will be in that hull?

On 28/04/2024 at 19:10, ditchcrawler said:

How many yards of weld do you thing there will be in that hull?

I think about 700 yards in total.

On 29/04/2024 at 03:44, DandV said:

Lovely to see the intricacies of such craftsmanship.

She really is going to be such a beautiful boat.

thanks, it's not going to be finished any time soon, but it's been a fun project this far!

• 3 weeks later...

Onwards and upwards, we had a few quiter, sunny days at the yard so decided to get on with a few more bits of steel , the second chine plank at the stern has gone in and we have also got the counter on, as well as a length of 3" guard iron, which was donated by a local boater. We are once again, battling the gaps in the weather to complete further templates etc as its all just a bit too wet!

20240502_144834.jpg

20240503_170725.jpg

20240505_075027.jpg

• Greenie 2

I see you've spaced the guard iron up from the counter plate. On the riveted boats I am used to the guard sits along the bottom edge, with rivets through the guard, counter round/side plating and the chine angle. But on reflection I guess that on wooden boats the guard would be located along the bottom of the side plank, and the transverse counter planks would be nailed on below. Is that the case?

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I see you've spaced the guard iron up from the counter plate. On the riveted boats I am used to the guard sits along the bottom edge, with rivets through the guard, counter round/side plating and the chine angle. But on reflection I guess that on wooden boats the guard would be located along the bottom of the side plank, and the transverse counter planks would be nailed on below. Is that the case?

Hi! yep, the guard was above the uxter plate when she was originally built, showing below.... the guards will ultimately be a bit different, as she originally didnt have any full length ones which i think she will need, so the middle one will probably end up running all the way up to the bow, whereas it was historically short.

Kind regards

Dan

norway - anderton cropped.jpg

inevitably the weather has stopped work for a while outside, but the planning still continues.....

Just before the weather turned we managed to get one of the chine planks on running into the stem post which threw up a few issues with the knees, which I have got slightly wrong when i drew them. We've also had a steel delivery so we can start looking at sticking the cabin frames on to add some strength into the back end of the hull.......

1mhd97d9.png

• Greenie 3

On 23/05/2024 at 11:07, jacko264 said:

Wow wow wow it’s coming along loving what your doing  please keep the photos coming 

you should have open days so people can see your talents and boat

Anyone is more than welcome to swing by. The build is visible from a public footpath too. We've now done some cabin works and more hull planking will be done tomorrow weather dependent!

Thank you for your kind words. Everyone thought I was mad trying to replicate these boats in steel. We're not there yet but it's nice to know people can see what we are trying to achieve!

kind regards

Dan

20240524_231051.thumb.jpg.5b57c8fa66511ded6bd1152dc98bae91.jpg

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, stagedamager said:

Anyone is more than welcome to swing by. The build is visible from a public footpath too. We've now done some cabin works and more hull planking will be done tomorrow weather dependent!

Thank you for your kind words. Everyone thought I was mad trying to replicate these boats in steel. We're not there yet but it's nice to know people can see what we are trying to achieve!

kind regards

Dan

20240524_231051.thumb.jpg.5b57c8fa66511ded6bd1152dc98bae91.jpg

I look forward to seeing the finished item