Former Anderton Company motor "Norway"

Featured Posts

Good afternoon all!

We recently had the opportunity to purchase the ironwork to the former Anderton Company Motor "Norway", which was tied at Stone for years. We found her listed in the Anderton Company notebook which gives us vital measurements but I was wondering if anyone has any historical photos of her, either working, or moored at Stone?

CRT archives throw up a blank.

Kind Regards

Dan

There is a rather sad photograph of her and reference to her on Page 60 of 'Canal Town Stone' by John M Bolton, (there is no ISBN number) published in 1981 and reprinted in 1989 by Panda Press of Stone who are extant, for Stone Canal Conservationists. Maybe Panda Press can help.

I was lucky and bought my copy on ebay.

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock

• 1 month later...

We've started taking measurements of the ironwork, and are beginning to pair the knees off and work out the order. As is the case with wooden craft, and certainly craft with such lovely lines as "knobsticks" had, no two knees are the same, so getting the order right is certainly a challenge, without physically building her!

We've also started looking at the stem iron, which is bent, twisted and showing signs of fatigue from when she was broken up........

Still, it's a cracking project!

Dan

IMG_20170827_194732.jpg.6d5fc761c98e1082d881c468a74e0800.jpg

• Love 1

16 hours ago, stagedamager said:

We've started taking measurements of the ironwork, and are beginning to pair the knees off and work out the order. As is the case with wooden craft, and certainly craft with such lovely lines as "knobsticks" had, no two knees are the same, so getting the order right is certainly a challenge, without physically building her!

We've also started looking at the stem iron, which is bent, twisted and showing signs of fatigue from when she was broken up........

Still, it's a cracking project!

Dan

IMG_20170827_194732.jpg.6d5fc761c98e1082d881c468a74e0800.jpg

The Anderton Company dock notebook says 3ft 6" as rake for stem, other dimensions given too.

Thanks Laurence.

The stem post rake is an interesting measurement. I can only assume it includes the post as well as the stem iron?

Were trying to decipher the measurements as we speak, to build a model. 

I'm assuming the width are external widths and heights overall including depth of bottoms.....

Can you remember if there was any other information in the archives?

Dan

14 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Thanks Laurence.

The stem post rake is an interesting measurement. I can only assume it includes the post as well as the stem iron?

Were trying to decipher the measurements as we speak, to build a model. 

I'm assuming the width are external widths and heights overall including depth of bottoms.....

Can you remember if there was any other information in the archives?

Dan

Nothing in the CRT archive I know of other than the copy I gave them of the notebook (probably lost now). I think the dimensions are external

There is still a stem iron on "Silver Jubilee" and the "Rose" near to Keays.l "Rose" although gone at the waterline is still extant in the mud.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2017 at 00:35, JamesWoolcock said:

There is a rather sad photograph of her and reference to her on Page 60 of 'Canal Town Stone' by John M Bolton, (there is no ISBN number) published in 1981 and reprinted in 1989 by Panda Press of Stone who are extant, for Stone Canal Conservationists. Maybe Panda Press can help.

I was lucky and bought my copy on ebay.

James

Thanks for the heads up James we have managed to get a copy of this page from a friend!

We're still looking for elusive pictures of her working if anyone knows of any, or of the other Anderton Knobsticks during their working days!

Kind regards

Dan

I think that's common to nearly all types of commercial narrow boats, including steel, iron and wood. Some of the star class motors have a very pronounced upsweep to the stern, whereas others appear fairly flat, being one example I can think of. 

16 minutes ago, BWM said:

I think that's common to nearly all types of commercial narrow boats, including steel, iron and wood. Some of the star class motors have a very pronounced upsweep to the stern, whereas others appear fairly flat, being one example I can think of. 

The early batch of H&W motor boats have the greater sweep as do the first small Ricky motors.

• 4 months later...

Months have passed and we've had the time to take some more measurements, mainly around the stem and we've managed to start templating before we buy any steel. We've also had a look around her sister, the Sweden, and taken some measurements which correspond with what we know. This is a good step forward and hopefully the steel will be ordered in a few weeks. We are very keen to replicate as closely as possible and as such the fore end will be fabricated with both a stem iron and replicated stem post.

Regards

Dan

IMG_20180203_163305_1.jpg

• Greenie 1

I dont know what the stem would look like in steel as wooden boats of have a big shapped chunk of oak at the front its one of the features i love about wooden boats its the semi extended bow lines but the only steel boat i saw like it just didnt get the shape right and made it look a bit odd.

12 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Aah we thought of this. Thanks make it look truly authentic we are leaving gaps in the steel work and filling it full of nappies and p38......

Did you want some spare horse muck?

• 2 months later...

we've started.......

only the fore end at present, whilst we work on the shape. the bow will be formed over the next few weeks, and we're hoping, by the time of the Langley Mill rally at the end of May, there will be something to see...

still, little steps!!

IMG_20180427_175617.jpg

• Greenie 2

• 1 year later...

I can't believe how long this has taken for me to get some time to do some more work on her......

Work gets in the way and all that.... So, whilst I have been stuck in Australia for work (Cancelled!) I thought I would utilise the time productively.....

We went back to the drawing and managed to offset all the ironwork to account for the planking, and then we worked backwards to try and recreate the shape as she would have been, allowing for the odd bit of Adze work etc......

We have also decided to pull her in a little bit from her original 7' 1/2" beam, which then took a tweak here and there. We are now at a point of being able to build a 12th scale model of the hull to see how it looks before cutting!

Regards

Dan

image.png.a90b44f78389239d73ffe2d8f2778d80.png

• Greenie 2