Poll: Boat dweller or live on the bank?

MtB

Boat dweller or live on the bank?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Mrsmelly asserted earlier that most of us here live on the bank rather than on our boats. This poll is to get a better idea.

• I'm a boat dweller
    • I live on the bank

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, peter n said:

Transvesseltite surely?

NO - that is purely 'wearing the clothes' you are still the same person underneath - maybe you just like the feel of silky undies, (it takes all sorts).

A Trans-Boater actually believes themselves to be .......................

Any poll that only samples a minute percentage of the target group is meaningless, particularly so when the sample is self selecting. At the moment I do not seem to be able to find out what the forum membership actually is, but less than a hundred is way off a sufficient number to reflect any sort of representative sample..

Actually, the size of the sample is not the issue.  But whether, or not, it is representative is certainly important.  UK polls with only 1200 respondents can tell you a lot.

Doesn't  CaRT have statistics on cc'ers?  That might give an indication of how many liveaboards there are. Even CC'ers who don't comply with the rules are probably liveaboards!  You could probably double that number to account for all the marina dwellers who live aboard in non-residential moorings!

12 minutes ago, mross said:

Doesn't  CaRT have statistics on cc'ers?  That might give an indication of how many liveaboards there are. Even CC'ers who don't comply with the rules are probably liveaboards!  You could probably double that number to account for all the marina dwellers who live aboard in non-residential moorings!

5000+ register as having no home mooring - would it be a reasonable assumption that the majority of these are liveaboards ?

Liveaboard boaters with a home mooring ???????

9 minutes ago, mross said:

Even CC'ers who don't comply with the rules are probably liveaboards

AIUI from threads about the K&A and the like, there is also a population of boats without a home mooring which are leisure boats being moved around sufficiently, possibly, to meet the CC guidelines.

It seems clear that, as I suspected, the situation is far too complex to fit a simple binary divide.

And I utterly reject the idea that only current permanent 24/7/365 liveaboards know anything about the issues discussed in any of the threads on this forum. Its great strength is the diversity of experience and knowledge possessed by its members.

Tell you what, Mike, let's do a deal. I won't do any gas fitting and you stay off the social science research :D

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Tell you what, Mike, let's do a deal. I won't do any gas fitting and you stay off the social science research :D

We know what MtB's credentials are; what, exactly, are yours? :) after all, he can do whatever he likes, research-wise, but you will go to jail if you get caught fitting boilers.  ( assuming you are not a GasSafe troll :) 

58 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Any poll that only samples a minute percentage of the target group is meaningless, particularly so when the sample is self selecting. At the moment I do not seem to be able to find out what the forum membership actually is, but less than a hundred is way off a sufficient number to reflect any sort of representative sample..

You are of course missing the context of my awesomely crafted poll, designed for the benefit of mrsmelly who asserts most posters here are not liveaboard. (Or was it the other way around?)

The point is to find out what proportion of posters here consider themselves liveaboard. The target group is posters here. I accept I am going to catch some non-posting members too but I expect mrsmelly and I can live with that. 

:)

53 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You are of course missing the context of my awesomely crafted poll, designed for the benefit of mrsmelly who asserts most posters here are not liveaboard. (Or was it the other way around?)

The point is to find out what proportion of posters here consider themselves liveaboard. The target group is posters here. I accept I am going to catch some non-posting members too but I expect mrsmelly and I can live with that. 

:)

And you feel that your random collection method will achieve that.? Your respondants are self selecting. and therefore unlikely to be a scientifically representative sample.

To (mis)quote BruceinSanity " ...... I won't do any gas fitting if you stay off the social science research :D"

28 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

And you feel that your random collection method will achieve that.? Your respondants are self selecting. and therefore unlikely to be a scientifically representative sample.

To (mis)quote BruceinSanity " ...... I won't do any gas fitting if you stay off the social science research :D"

Jeez, lighten up a bit!!!

It gives a broad brush impression, in my personal opinion. I may well be wrong about that even, but who gives a toss (other than you and Bruce!)?

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

AIUI from threads about the K&A and the like, there is also a population of boats without a home mooring which are leisure boats being moved around sufficiently, possibly, to meet the CC guidelines.

It seems clear that, as I suspected, the situation is far too complex to fit a simple binary divide.

And I utterly reject the idea that only current permanent 24/7/365 liveaboards know anything about the issues discussed in any of the threads on this forum. Its great strength is the diversity of experience and knowledge possessed by its members.

Look, it was frivolous poll set up on the spur of the moment in response to a flippant comment by mrsmelly, as any fule kno. Of COURSE is it flawed. I designed it that way out of devilment, surely you can see that? Why are you misrepresenting it so?

2 hours ago, mross said:

We know what MtB's credentials are; what, exactly, are yours? :) after all, he can do whatever he likes, research-wise, but you will go to jail if you get caught fitting boilers.  ( assuming you are not a GasSafe troll :) 

Not only not GasSafe, some would say not safe out :D

Since you ask, BSc (Psychology), MPhil (Clin Psych), CPsychol, FBPsS, last post before retirement Associate Director, Institute of Medical and Social Care Research, University of Wales Bangor. So I can claim some (former) expertise in social sciences research, but I'm very happy to admit that gas fitters are more important in the real world :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Look, it was frivolous poll set up on the spur of the moment in response to a flippant comment by mrsmelly, as any fule kno. Of COURSE is it flawed. I designed it that way out of devilment, surely you can see that? Why are you misrepresenting it so?

Ah, I hadn't been following the other thread and my professional reflexes were roused...

I really thought you were being serious!

I'll just shut up now, shall I?

On 13/05/2017 at 21:55, mrsmelly said:

And no cheating. Living on a boat means 24/7 365 not a few sunny months and weekends now and then of course holidays away from the boat are allowed cos thats what I do :D

So does that mean you aren't allowed to leave the boat ever, for holidays or shopping? Are you at least allowed to open the curtains at Christmas?

Just now, BruceinSanity said:

Ah, I hadn't been following the other thread and my professional reflexes were roused...

I really thought you were being serious!

I'll just shut up now, shall I?

lol So I had you there a treat!!

Do you remember the time Nick Norman had me over in a similar way, with a gas pipe question?

At the start of the poll, liveaboards took quite a lead, but as the thread has progresses liveabanks (?) have caught up and overtaken.    Can we deduce from this that the liveaboards are more active on the forum, joining in as soon as the poll was posted, and the liveabanks are less active and reading the forum less often

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, lulu fish said:

At the start of the poll, liveaboards took quite a lead, but as the thread has progresses liveabanks (?) have caught up and overtaken.    Can we deduce from this that the liveaboards are more active on the forum, joining in as soon as the poll was posted, and the liveabanks are less active and reading the forum less often

I think we should wait Bruce's professional opinion on this!

;)

Anyway, one major difference between liveaboards and leisure boaters is that in general, the former are pretty incompetent at operating their boats, preferring a static life, whereas the latter are expert at whizzing through lock flights expeditiously etc. One of the reason why the former have so much difficulty steering etc is that they can't see beyond the piles of stuff on the roof, and worry that the slightest knock, bump, or boat passing at more than 0.5mph will disturb the carefully heaped piles of personal belongings inside, which might topple and injure their children sleeping in the wardrobe.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 4

6 hours ago, Athy said:

Possibly, yes. Do they display a teapot too?

No.

The displayed teapot is reserved for boat-based 'swingers' and sundry sexual deviants as I understand it.

14 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

liveabanks are less active

Brilliant! Greeno for that.

3 minutes ago, tomsk said:

No.

The displayed teapot is reserved for boat-based 'swingers' and sundry sexual deviants as I understand it.

What a relief that you added those last four words.

The teapot was originally a membership sign for a female boaters facebook group so that they could recognise each other in real life and wave, but as it now appears to have taken on a more interesting meaning I will revue the future of ours.

................Dave

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Anyway, one major difference between liveaboards and leisure boaters is that in general, the former are pretty incompetent at operating their boats, preferring a static life, whereas the latter are expert at whizzing through lock flights expeditiously etc. One of the reason why the former have so much difficulty steering etc is that they can't see beyond the piles of stuff on the roof, and worry that the slightest knock, bump, or boat passing at more than 0.5mph will disturb the carefully heaped piles of personal belongings inside, which might topple and injure their children sleeping in the wardrobe.

No that's not it. IIRC the fact is that several CMing members here are in a permanent state of pouring hot water from a kettle, and therefore guaranteed to spill it and burn themselves should a boat pass them at ANY speed.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Some of us may wish to substitute the word "divisive"

16 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Why sir I resemble (not) that remark! :boat: