what a lovely time we are having.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's not wise to have a boat in the first place. That's where the trouble stems from...

Absolutely.

I have just finished cleaning the outside of DQ. The cabin top was the worst, taking over two hours of scrubbing (corrected from autowrongs suggestion of clubbing :clapping:) with Aldi's caravan cleaner (thanks for the top tip MGJ).

Then a quick scrub of the sanded paint on the port gunwale with Aldi's caravan cleaner, and a wash of the port cabin side with Craftmaster boat wash.

Followed by a quick trip to the winding hole, so that I could clean the starboard gunwale and cabin side.

Hopefully it will stay cleanish until the Autumn.

Now I'm  knackered and enjoying a well deserved pint. Typically it has just begun to rain :(

20 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I believe it does and I doubt it is good for the brass as its not its natural colour and must remove some of it when its rubbed. 

It does, we had a problem with the boiler men always polishing the copper pipes

8 hours ago, bizzard said:

Its probably wise not to polish boats especially flat surfaces like the roof and mainly reds. An old friend of mine who was a vehicle paint sprayer and became an investigator-trouble shooter for a very large vehicle paint company who went around garages and paint shops diagnosing painting troubles, discovered that mainly after wax polishing and it rains, globules of rain sit on the surface for ages before drying up and contract into little domes, these domes are lenses and will magnify the sun burning through the wax and can burn spots all over the paint surface. These spots are usually pale to white coloured and can't be removed.   Just like a boy scout starting a camp fire with a magnifying glass.

Errr a bit like this? 

20141201_123700.jpg

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Certainly looks like it Ray, but could be spots caused by acid rain.

The white spots were actually raised little pimples, had the slide repainted since. The paint on our boat was lacquered when the boat was repainted. The pimples happened when there was a very sudden overnight freeze. As the slide is polished the water did sit in little globules. I think the sudden freezing of the water "pinched" the lacquer causing the blemishes. The phenomenon also happened to other boats in the marina, photo of one of them.

DSCF2014.jpg

Edited by Ray T

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:18, ianali said:

Over the passed few days we have spoken with a lady bored with boating who is selling her boat. A lady who complained her water smells odd since hubby blacked the water tank. A chap complained it was to hot to wash his boat. Several boaters moaned that it was to busy on the cut. Too many hire boats out... This morning I log into canalworld for the first time in a few days and lots of you are at it too...please, please cheer up and stop moaning. It's brilliant out on the canals! Really it is!

Have fun,

Ian.

My water smells when I eat asparagus.

On 12/04/2017 at 10:04, bizzard said:

Its probably wise not to polish boats especially flat surfaces like the roof and mainly reds. An old friend of mine who was a vehicle paint sprayer and became an investigator-trouble shooter for a very large vehicle paint company who went around garages and paint shops diagnosing painting troubles, discovered that mainly after wax polishing and it rains, globules of rain sit on the surface for ages before drying up and contract into little domes, these domes are lenses and will magnify the sun burning through the wax and can burn spots all over the paint surface. These spots are usually pale to white coloured and can't be removed.   Just like a boy scout starting a camp fire with a magnifying glass.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/7823032/Sunburnt-plants-myth-is-debunked.html