How do you calculate leisure battery needs please?

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

So much advice is available on these forums and some of it is actually useful!:D

Steady on old chap, let's not get carried away here. ;)

Oh and I agree, Ms Oyl is most certainly not dim. 

15 hours ago, OliveOyl said:

Awwww thanks CT. Earlier on I was beginning to think you all thought I was a bit dim with all my questions and admissions; it seems like you need a flipping PhD if you take everything into account, but I just want to take me little boat out onto the cut and hopefully, get back home againB)

There is a lot to learn about boats and in time you will know about as much as some of those on this forum.

If you learn just one new thing a day, in three years you will have learned over 1,000 new things.

I find the problem is now remembering the things I learned years ago but which haven't gone wrong since!  :rolleyes:

Edited by cuthound

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

There is a lot to learn about boats and in time you will know about as much as some of those on this forum.

If you learn just one new thing a day, in three years you will have learned over 1,000 new things.

I find the problem is now remembering the things I learned years ago but which haven't gone wrong since!  :rolleyes:

Nice one!

On 28/02/2017 at 18:33, bizzard said:

WWwwwwait a minute and I'll stick a pic on here of mine to see if its similar.

001.JPG

Here is a pic of mine Bizz. There are 3 types and the first pic is what most of them are, with just one each of pic 2 and 3. I need to get replacement bulbs for a couple of pic 1 so any help re identifying what I need to get/ask for, and how to replace , much appreciated.

Lights and water system 005.JPG

Lights and water system 006.JPG

Lights and water system 007.JPG

13 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Here is a pic of mine Bizz. There are 3 types and the first pic is what most of them are, with just one each of pic 2 and 3. I need to get replacement bulbs for a couple of pic 1 so any help re identifying what I need to get/ask for, and how to replace , much appreciated.

You should be able to get LEDs to replace them. The bottom one you nip those wires tags together and the glass will drop out.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

You should be able to get LEDs to replace them. The bottom one you nip those wires tags together and the glass will drop out.

Thanks Ditch, but what do I ask for? How many watts etc? Size? How do I get the main type out?

41 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Hello Mrs Oyl.  The first ceiling light looks like it is an LED lamp, I can just see it through the lens.  The second pic is fuzzy but I think its the same as the third both  Halogen.  The third pic unit will pop out if you squeeze together those two wire retaining prongs. Then  you need to measure the diameter of the globe. If its 1.1/2'' the equivalent LED  from Bedazzled would be an MR11-10L, I think there are 2 or 3 different light strengths though, check em out. If they measure 1.3/4'' dia they should  MR16's on the  Bedazzled site. Both are available in warm or cold light. Cold light is really only suitable for the galley and toilet.   The second fuzzy one may also have the wire retaining clip, can't see. If not there's probably a screw or two on the body to make it getatable.

Edited by bizzard

2 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks Ditch, but what do I ask for? How many watts etc? Size? How do I get the main type out?

You say "the main type" but do those all have the same type of bulb with the 6 square yellow patches? If so, there is no reason to do anything with them as they are already LED bulbs. If some are no longer working the you'd need to take one out and measure the diameter, then decide how bright you wanted it to be and whether you want clinical pure white light or more natural warm white light. Probably 1 to 2 watts is what you want. The bulb we can see looks fairly low power, probably 1 watt.

If the black ring doesn't come off to give access to the bulb, the outer ring is attached to the ceiling by spring clips so you should be able to gently prise it off the ceiling (try not to gouge the wood!) and then find out how change the bulb once you can see the whole thing in your hand. Looks like a G4 fitting but you'd need to check how much space you have inside, as they come in different physical sizes.

its a bit difficult to see how the one in pic 2 comes to bits, but I imagine one part of the body would unscrew from the other. For pic3 as said, you just need to pop out the wire circular spring in front of the glass. It looks like an MR11 or MR16 bulb, the former is around 1.5" (35mm) diameter and the latter is 2"(50mm).

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Hello Mrs Oyl.  The first ceiling light looks like it is an LED lamp, I can just see it through the lens.  The second pic is fuzzy but I think its the same as the third both  Halogen.  The third pic unit will pop out if you squeeze together those two wire retaining prongs. Then  you need to measure the diameter of the globe. If its 1.1/2'' the equivalent LED  from Bedazzled would be an MR11-10L, I think there are 2 or 3 different light strengths though, check em out. If they measure 1.3/4'' dia they should  MR16's on the  Bedazzled site. Both are available in warm or cold light. Cold light is really only suitable for the galley and toilet.

In my lounge I have half white and half warm white

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 18:48, mrsmelly said:

What a load of old tosh. Seasoned boaters know the best way to dry hair is to stand 8 feet from the stove with the " Eco fan " running. No nearer than eight feet though or the blast of heat from the fan could burn the skin.

Funny you should say that because that's exactly how I dry my hair but I do stand a bit nearer than 8 feet.

Phil

19 hours ago, bizzard said:

Hello Mrs Oyl.  The first ceiling light looks like it is an LED lamp, I can just see it through the lens.  The second pic is fuzzy but I think its the same as the third both  Halogen.  The third pic unit will pop out if you squeeze together those two wire retaining prongs. Then  you need to measure the diameter of the globe. If its 1.1/2'' the equivalent LED  from Bedazzled would be an MR11-10L, I think there are 2 or 3 different light strengths though, check em out. If they measure 1.3/4'' dia they should  MR16's on the  Bedazzled site. Both are available in warm or cold light. Cold light is really only suitable for the galley and toilet.   The second fuzzy one may also have the wire retaining clip, can't see. If not there's probably a screw or two on the body to make it getatable.

Thanks Bizz

19 hours ago, nicknorman said:

You say "the main type" but do those all have the same type of bulb with the 6 square yellow patches? If so, there is no reason to do anything with them as they are already LED bulbs. If some are no longer working the you'd need to take one out and measure the diameter, then decide how bright you wanted it to be and whether you want clinical pure white light or more natural warm white light. Probably 1 to 2 watts is what you want. The bulb we can see looks fairly low power, probably 1 watt.

If the black ring doesn't come off to give access to the bulb, the outer ring is attached to the ceiling by spring clips so you should be able to gently prise it off the ceiling (try not to gouge the wood!) and then find out how change the bulb once you can see the whole thing in your hand. Looks like a G4 fitting but you'd need to check how much space you have inside, as they come in different physical sizes.

its a bit difficult to see how the one in pic 2 comes to bits, but I imagine one part of the body would unscrew from the other. For pic3 as said, you just need to pop out the wire circular spring in front of the glass. It looks like an MR11 or MR16 bulb, the former is around 1.5" (35mm) diameter and the latter is 2"(50mm).

Thanks NN. I didn't go around counting how many yellow things they all have,but I think it's six (will check when I next go to boat). I think the black ring will come off, cos tis made of plastic and was loose on one of the lights. I just didn't want to go around yanking anything until I had asked all the good peeps on here!

Thanks for the info on wattage and colour.

8 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks NN. I didn't go around counting how many yellow things they all have,but I think it's six (will check when I next go to boat). I think the black ring will come off, cos tis made of plastic and was loose on one of the lights. I just didn't want to go around yanking anything until I had asked all the good peeps on here!

Thanks for the info on wattage and colour.

It's not so much the exact number of yellow squares, just the presence of them, which indicates it's already an LED bulb. An incandescent bulb would have a glass capsule with a filament like the one in pic 3.

The ceiling one has 6 warm white LED's and has two side prong connections. G4H-6LA 1w, equivalent to 10w halogen on Bedazzleds site. I swapped 10w halogens for a load these in a wide beam last year and the light unit look the same. To get to the LED bulb they just needed a screwdriver poked under the edge of the outer bezzel and a gentle twist and they pop off.

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The ceiling one has 6 warm white LED's and has two side prong connections. G4H-6LA 1w, equivalent to 10w halogen on Bedazzleds site. I swapped 10w halogens for a load these in a wide beam last year and the light unit look the same. To get to the LED bulb they just needed a screwdriver poked under the edge of the outer bezzel and a gentle twist and they pop off.

Cheers Bizz 

21 hours ago, WotEver said:

Pic 1 is already led. Pics 2 & 3 are old fashioned halogen. 

In pic 1, does that black bezel either unscrew or pull out?

I've become invisible...

I have just showed Olive how to remove the bulbs from two halogen type lamps (not the long silver one) and showed them how to check for a supply in case a failed bulb turns out to be a broken cable.

I have left two sets of calculations with her so she can answer this question herself but after discussing her boat and her use of it I am sure 2 x 110Ah batteries will be fine as long as she grasps the need to keep them well charged. I strongly suspect that if money is tight she could get away with just one 110Ah domestic battery, her boat has a split charge system on it. To do so may result in a less than optimum battery life though.

• Greenie 1