Batteries constantly dying even though on trickle charge - help!

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks Wotever (tho I can't find a reference to overcharging)

It's under Common Mistakes:

• Overcharging: Continuous charging causes accelerated corrosion of the positive plates, excessive water consumption, and in some cases, damaging temperatures within a lead acid battery.

20 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Olive, I have not contributed to trying to solve your problem because there are too many unknowns and many of them you, as someone somewhat inexperience, probably have no idea of their relevance. The only help I can offer is to visit the boat if it is "within range". When I visit boats like this to give advice it is ALWAYS free of charge (hence the distance limits) but your problem may end up instructing others in the technical section of Canal Boat magazine.

Until we know more about what is going on I very much fear taking some of the well meaning advice on here could cause you to waste money and still not solve the problem.

You have enough posts to use the PM system to contact me off forum if you find it preferable.

That's the trouble with diagnosis by distance via an internet forum. Unless some kind person is able to visit for free there is a danger that misdiagnosis may cause cost if the advice is taken. 

Of course the OP is free not to take the advice and save their money. 

Update:-

Son reports that my trusty, old 6v battery charger is managing to install some charge into the battery (but says he has barely turned a light on or used any water as yet), and Tony and I are planning to meet up and look over the boat as soon as we are both able.

Thank you for all the help, suggestions, education and guidance.

34 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Update:-

Son reports that my trusty, old 6v battery charger is managing to install some charge into the battery (but says he has barely turned a light on or used any water as yet), and Tony and I are planning to meet up and look over the boat as soon as we are both able.

Thank you for all the help, suggestions, education and guidance.

Using a 6v charger to charge 12v batteries will not work as it would only be able to bring the battery voltage up to 6v (in general when a 12v battery hits 11v it is treated as totally flat).

If however you mean a 6A charger then that will probably work in the short term but be aware that it will take somewhere in the region of 80 - 100 hours for it to fully charge a bank of 3 110A batteries with no power being used on the boat (any power being used will increase this time)

6 hours ago, Jess-- said:

... it will take somewhere in the region of 80 - 100 hours for it to fully charge a bank of 3 110A batteries with no power being used on the boat...

Pretty sure that son's boat has a single leisure battery. It should be fullly charged in around 24-30 hours depending on the charger's voltage.  

On 23/02/2017 at 21:38, OliveOyl said:

I would be very interested to hear more about the possibility/effects/technicalities of 'overcharging'.

Hmmmm.... 'overcharging' is a concept alien to 99.999% of narrowbote batteries.

Hope that helps ;)

6 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks Mike.

Tony is going to look at the boat on Friday, so hopefully I will be able to report back and provide some clarification as to what is going with the elecs.

That's cool. Tony is dangerously good at figuring out what is wrong. Listen to what he says, even if it's not what you were hoping to hear. 

All the best...

19 hours ago, OliveOyl said:

It's partly my fault Wotever, he is my youngest, and in fairness to him, he keeps telling me he'll sort it, trouble is, I know he won't and as it's my boat  . . . . . .!

i have a similar problem on my boat, my youngest lives there and to be honest I am going to have to give in and go over and give it a good clean out - I am told to stop hassling and it WILL get done but WHEN???  As  you say, it is my boat and ultimately my responsibility <sigh>

6 minutes ago, Trillian said:

i have a similar problem on my boat, my youngest lives there and to be honest I am going to have to give in and go over and give it a good clean out - I am told to stop hassling and it WILL get done but WHEN???  As  you say, it is my boat and ultimately my responsibility <sigh>

If I tell you I'll do something, that means I'll do it. You don't have to keep reminding me every six months.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Trillian said:

Trillian, I DO understand. I thought, "wait, let him do it, just because it's on his timescale, doesn't matter, if he says he will, then I'm sure he will". Then the BSS man came and recoiled when he looked inside the oven (I won't tell you what he found :o) so I realised that maybe I needed to go down with an armoury of cleaning materials and a vacuum. (I have just spent 5 days dismantling and re-assembling my new vacuum, which will never be the same again!

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If I tell you I'll do something, that means I'll do it. You don't have to keep reminding me every six months.

Alan, unfortunately my son believes in manana - but I accept that many women jump rather than giving a chap a bit of slack.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, OliveOyl said:

Alan, unfortunately my son believes in manana - but I accept that many women jump rather than giving a chap a bit of slack.

My son was exactly like this at 18.

Then he joined the Army.

End of problem, amazing what Basic Training achieved in 14 weeks, though by pretty brutal methods.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

My son was exactly like this at 18.

Then he joined the Army.

End of problem, amazing what Basic Training achieved in 14 weeks, though by pretty brutal methods.

Its not Brutal when I joined in 74 it was brutal they cant even shout at them now whats that all about?