Bow Camera?

JJPHG

Featured Posts

You can pick up a wireless rear view camera kit for around £30 so whether it's worth the investment is probably not the question. I have two vans with no view out through the rear. There is no question that life would be easier if I fitted cameras. However, some deep-seated pride prevents this so I have to get out midway through parallel parking to check the distance behind then go back to the cab and judge this by increments of paving slabs passing the open door until such point that I have to get out and check again. But it makes me feel manly so that's just fine.

Lol i do this too!

The other method is a technique called 'parking by ear'.

You can pick up a wireless rear view camera kit for around £30 so whether it's worth the investment is probably not the question. I have two vans with no view out through the rear. There is no question that life would be easier if I fitted cameras. However, some deep-seated pride prevents this so I have to get out midway through parallel parking to check the distance behind then go back to the cab and judge this by increments of paving slabs passing the open door until such point that I have to get out and check again. But it makes me feel manly so that's just fine.

For me the shorter the car the more difficult to judge the length when reversing, we used to run a Fiat Panda and if I reversed as close as I dared there was always a foot or more of space left, when I do the same with our Mercedes estate the gap is less. Strange.

For me the shorter the car the more difficult to judge the length when reversing, we used to run a Fiat Panda and if I reversed as close as I dared there was always a foot or more of space left, when I do the same with our Mercedes estate the gap is less. Strange.

Many years ago I tried reversing a bubble car. I put it all over the place. With no length to speak of it was a really weird experience.

Ah yes, I had a Smart car, really odd to reverse park and I was never cheeky enough to park it sideways. My beautiful Saab 95 estate, very long, was a joy to reverse park.

The " Smart " car is without doubt the biggest piece of poo ever devised wheras a saab is a flippin good car how does one person own the worst most useless car ever built and a totaly different good car they are worlds apart?

I feel I must defend the Smart car!  Here in the land of the V6 and V8 where our other cars are a 300hp toyota and a 200hp mini cooper our little smart car holds it's own(ish).  Sure it struggles to get up our 40 degree driveway without a run up and sucking out the oil is a real pain but its great at school pickup time where yes - I park sideways between the Ford 150 and the Toyota Land Cruisers.  The kids love it and I like the literal reverse by touch feature (my hand).

The worst car I have ever had the misfortune to own or drive - without doubt the VW Jetta.  At least twice as big a piece of poo as the Smart car 

7 hours ago, Meanderingviking said:

Ah yes, I had a Smart car, really odd to reverse park and I was never cheeky enough to park it sideways. My beautiful Saab 95 estate, very long, was a joy to reverse park.

Yes, I had a Dame Edna Sportwagon (until somebody wrote it off for me -- but I had driven it 150 miles home from the collision site in the meantime).

Brilliant to reverse park -- the rear window was right at the back.

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes, I had a Dame Edna Sportwagon (until somebody wrote it off for me -- but I had driven it 150 miles home from the collision site in the meantime).

Brilliant to reverse park -- the rear window was right at the back.

I know I nearly pooped myself the first time I looked round and saw how close everything was! Being left hand drive made it  a bit more interesting too.