Leaking Water Pump

hopefulboaterlndn

Featured Posts

Hi again everyone! Hoping that you might be able to help me out with a leaking water pump this time. My water pump is leaking quite a lot -that bowl needs empting every day. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get this problem sorted? How can I check what's broken / how do I know if the whole thing needs replacing? Forgive my ignorance and thanks in advance!

P.s. please ignore the state of the rust - it's on the to do list I promise!

post-27872-0-71993600-1486996181_thumb.jpg

It looks as though the pipes are all rigid. Normally some hose is used to avoid any strain on the pump. This pump is very easy to remove. The two blue clips can be pulled out about 1/2" (which is away from you in that photo) and the pipe work can then be eased away from the pump. If you disconnected the wires you could lift the pump out. Then you could take it to a Chandler for advice. If you try, do turn the water off at the tank! Switch the pump off and run tap(s) until the pressure is gone.

Can you photograph the pump label and I will find the manual for you unless you already have it? I need the number, which is something like 31395-0292

Edited by mross

It looks as though the pipes are all rigid. Normally some hose is used to avoid any strain on the pump. This pump is very easy to remove. The two blue clips can be pulled out about 1/2" (which is away from you in that photo) and the pipe work can then be eased away from the pump. If you disconnected the wires you could lift the pump out. Then you could take it to a Chandler for advice. If you try, do turn the water off at the tank! Switch the pump off and run tap(s) until the pressure is gone.

Can you photograph the pump label and I will find the manual for you unless you already have it? I need the number, which is something like 31395-0292

Don't have the manual, that would be great thank! The number on the label is that number: 31395-0292

The blue clips that hold the pipe onto the pump (it uses a O-ring to seal) makes it very easy to connect or disconnect, but they are prone to leaking if there is any sideways pressure. From your picture it looks as though the pipes are connected rigidly, and also from the angle they are quite likely putting some strain on the joint. You need to make the connection to the pump with a foot or so of decent quality braided hose which will also allow the pump to move slightly on its rubber mounts.

Generally the Par-Max is a reliable pump, but if it has been frozen with water in it then it could have cracked and caused a leak.

It looks like a pretty ropey installation (too rigid with strain in the pipework as mentioned earlier and just 2 of the pump's 4 anti-vibration rubber mounts being used by the look of it), plus the pump looks to have had a hard life. If it's the 2.9 (part number above) they can be had for just over 60 quid. I'd be inclined to make good the whole install (with some flexi hose as suggested) and fit a new pump at the same time. A proper job now will beat continual leakage issues and frequent tinkering hands down.

It looks like a pretty ropey installation (too rigid with strain in the pipework as mentioned earlier and just 2 of the pump's 4 anti-vibration rubber mounts being used by the look of it), plus the pump looks to have had a hard life. If it's the 2.9 (part number above) they can be had for just over 60 quid. I'd be inclined to make good the whole install (with some flexi hose as suggested) and fit a new pump at the same time. A proper job now will beat continual leakage issues and frequent tinkering hands down.

The blue clips that hold the pipe onto the pump (it uses a O-ring to seal) makes it very easy to connect or disconnect, but they are prone to leaking if there is any sideways pressure. From your picture it looks as though the pipes are connected rigidly, and also from the angle they are quite likely putting some strain on the joint. You need to make the connection to the pump with a foot or so of decent quality braided hose which will also allow the pump to move slightly on its rubber mounts.

Generally the Par-Max is a reliable pump, but if it has been frozen with water in it then it could have cracked and caused a leak.

Thank you both, yes the pipe are rigid and the pump is coming away a bit from its mounts, there is also a bit of wood floating around in there which seems to have come away from the wall. It sounds like it's worth doing it up properly - the last thing I want to come home to is a flooded floor!

It would be good to tidy up the installation and have either some flexible hose, or adjust things so the rigid plastic pipe is not under stress.

Find out exactly where the leak is, winding bits of loo roll round the various joints will help.

However, assuming you are a full time liveaboard, water pumps just don't last that long, and starting to leak is a common failure. Get a new one now, and if you can afford it get a second one to keep as a spare.

You could replace the current one with a new one and keep the leaky one as an emergency spare, but sometimes if you store an old pump it won't work when you need it in a hurry.

Bit of a co-incidence as mine has just started to sound a bit odd and was just about to order a new one to have ready, think the current one has done four years.

............Dave

Years ago I used to buy the ( repair kits ) and mess about with pumps but havnt done that for years. They are now built down to a price and will leak at some point and renewal is the way I go. They dont seem to last long these days but are cheaper than they used to be.

Years ago I used to buy the ( repair kits ) and mess about with pumps but havnt done that for years. They are now built down to a price and will leak at some point and renewal is the way I go. They dont seem to last long these days but are cheaper than they used to be.

When my pump started to leak I took the view of £20 for a repair kit or £80 for a new pump, kit might be a pain to fit with no guarantee it would work and £20 wasted, whereas pump was easy to fit and shouldn't leak for a good few years. Bugger messing around just change the pump, no need to worry about it again for a while.

I recon to be able to fix most things, I have tried two repair kits. Just go and buy a new one.

I recon to be able to fix most things, I have tried two repair kits. Just go and buy a new one.

I used to fix most things. I even bought a new shell and fitted it out in 99 but I dont even change my own batteries now laugh.png My knees etc etc just dont seem to want to know anymore and prices have tumbled massively. First pump I bought was in 89 for our first liveaboard as it didnt have running water when we bought it. My daughter let it run dry first day we fitted it ( my fault ) I suppose and I bought another, they were 80 quid back then and about 50/60 quid today even after years of inflation.

As has been said elsewhere on several occasions, there's little point in buying a 'marine' style pump for the inland waterways- fit a caravan model instead.

It's not so much that there's a perceived rip off - more than the 'van market is bigger and the prices therefore drift downwards....

Had a quick look and the modal price is around 63 squids - oh well.....

The OP might just need new O-rings and that is worth trying. Unless OP has plenty of cash and just wants it over and done with. You can get O-rings cheaply, but it's hard to get the right size. At least Jabsco spares are readily available.

A box of o rings containing 420 of 30 different sizes now on sale in Lidl, always worth a try only £5.99.

Also worth getting boxes of fibre washers, copper washers, brass screws, hose clips etc.

This causes me a lot of trauma!

Its good to keep a good stash of useful spare parts on a boat, but space is at a premium.

Its much easier and usually cheaper to get big selection packs of copper washers/O rings etc etc in a nice plastic compartment box. But then what do you do?

Keep the whole lot taking up space when you know that maybe 80% of them don't fit anything on the boat?, maybe you might just somehow need them one day, or even meet a boater in distress who needs one?? but very unlikely, or do you throw the box and 90% of its brand new contents away, thus supporting our daft throw away culture and putting copper into land fill.

and .... keeping things that you know you don't need but feel just might be useful one day is.....hoarding!!!!!

................Dave

This causes me a lot of trauma!

Its good to keep a good stash of useful spare parts on a boat, but space is at a premium.

Its much easier and usually cheaper to get big selection packs of copper washers/O rings etc etc in a nice plastic compartment box. But then what do you do?

Keep the whole lot taking up space when you know that maybe 80% of them don't fit anything on the boat?, maybe you might just somehow need them one day, or even meet a boater in distress who needs one?? but very unlikely, or do you throw the box and 90% of its brand new contents away, thus supporting our daft throw away culture and putting copper into land fill.

and .... keeping things that you know you don't need but feel just might be useful one day is.....hoarding!!!!!

................Dave

You are quite right of course. We are liveaboards so dont have a shed at " Home " to keep stuff in and I have found breakdowns usualy occur mile from anywhere. I carry many spares including pumps, belts, oil, filters etc etc I even have a new spare mastervolt inverter just in case to get by with. Our boat is a purpose built from scratch liveaboard so has way more decent storage than most so this helps but I know without even looking that 80 percent of the stuff I carry will be never used and permenantly in the way!!