Featured Posts

To be fair, I think that I could do with a further rad. GGenerallythr tip of the radiator hits 60 degrees, bottom being 55ish, which to my understanding is at the lower end of what is regarded as "acceptable" for heat dispersion.

Problem is I can't get it any hotter, that is with the stove at full whack.

My pump has 3 speed settings with the top being unacceptable due to noise, it is situated near the bed. I have tried using all 3 speed setting and none show any measurable improvement in surface temperature

But the water leaving the stove is hot enough to burn you if you touch the pipe?

But the water leaving the stove is hot enough to burn you if you touch the pipe?

near the stove the pipes are carrying water at 70 degrees when at full tilt, obviously a radiator is a different matter, it is a different substrate and is generally thicker to carry the heat more effectively. You also need to remember with a larger surface area the heat disperses faster

I have a12v c/h pump fitted with the PWM controller As the water was going through the back boiler to quickly and wasn't getting the rads hot what we did was to fit a gate valve on the return from the reflex as it only had a isolater valve fitted , so we have shut it down a couple of turns and set the PWM controller about half way all the radaters get hot now, as regards the cleaning rod you leave it in the out position and it only gets warm

. . . a seal failed on the stove and allowed diesel to escape the burning pot and evaporate off the hot surface to the rear, the cabin was filled!

Are you sure that the seal on the descaling device has actually failed? It might be worth slackening off the slim back nut and nipping up the compression nut. This will tighten up the compression olive and the seal. You never know, it might be all that's required.

Late to the party as usual.

I think you have been unlucky with your stove leaking diesel and fumes into the cabin space. I would tighten up the "O" ring a d if that doesn't work replace it.

I have had multi-fuel and diesel stoves on boats over the years, and the diesel stove requires much less maintenance than a multi-fuel stove diesel does. Specifically with my Kabola Old Dutch, there is no door seal to re-rope and the flue doesn't get clogged up.

In my opinion diesel stoves are safer than multi-fuel ones. No door seal and a non cast iron body means much less likleyhood of CO leaks into the cabin through unintentional gaps. They get less hot and therefore are unlikely to set light to flammable things near them.

Absolutely nowt to do with this thread but Lidls are doing a box of 420 " o " rings this week in 30 different sizes one box of metric one box of imperial at £6 a go. The sort of thing you never need till you need one...I bought a box......more stuff on the boat laugh.png

I burn a Russboy tablet in my diesel stove periodically to keep it clean. Then every couple of months I do a full 'scrape and hoover' clean.

http://www.budgetchandlery.com/russboy-diesel-stove-tablets-10-pack-3786-p.asp

Also, I replaced my very ordinary chimney cowl with a Smokey Joe cowl and the improvement was massive - highly recommended.

http://www.smokiejoes.co.uk/cowls/boat/black.html

See my rather tasty Smokey Joe, chimney and cowl for sale on classifieds on here!!!!!

Someone many moons ago mentioned a stove cleaning item that you light in the stove. Creates loads of smoke etc. Anyone know what it was?

We have found that the flue on here is caked with really hard deposits that the brush doesn't shift.

Martyn

Someone many moons ago mentioned a stove cleaning item that you light in the stove. Creates loads of smoke etc. Anyone know what it was?

We have found that the flue on here is caked with really hard deposits that the brush doesn't shift.

Martyn

Get scraping and fast before it closes up

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Its funny you should mention it but it seems many of us are now suffering this sympton. I have had m/f stoves for approaching thirty years as a liveaboard and never had the problem as of late but there are a few of us last and this year with this problem. I had my flue taken off last week, its less than two years old and it was solid as a rock nearly all the way across at the lower end with concrete. It had to be smashed out with a lump hammer and cold chisel. Is it the recent mild winters where our stoves are on tickover? Is it crap fuel of late with too much crap in the mix? What is it?

I am again now only using top end stuff and anthracite hopeing for the best. Its fine at present as we are burning well in the cold spell but what the hell is causing this to myself and others with many years of experience between us and never before having the problems?