Moving from North to South....

Tipnturn

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, apologies if this is in the wrong section!

Currently moored in a marina in the East Midlands on my 65 x 10 Widebeam and living aboard. Considering a lift out and truck down to Watford with view to cruising the GU, K & A, and possibly the Lee/Stort (got friends in Essex). Planning to CC rather than marina life (have got a bit bored of the same view of the same boat out my window every morning).

It's about a 2 grand investment to move the boat and am keen to hear from anyone currently CC'ing on the network there in a widebeam or similar. How is it during the season for finding mooring sites, places to leave the car, pumping out/diesel, general community, etc...basically any insights at all are appreciated....along with any recommendations for particularly nice spots etc. Would be looking to sell the boat or put her on a winter mooring in September, would it add to the value potentially to be in the South (where there might be more demand for a boat of this size and spec?).

Alternatively, how does cruising the North compare?

Thanks very much!

Before you spend £2k to get it moved have you considered CCing in the north first for a change of scenery?

You still have miles and miles of waterways to discover before moving her down south. cheers.gif

And - they could make a lot of train / bus trips down to 'see their mates in Essex" for that £2000

An excellent publicity job by the Yorkshire Tourist Board (Sheffield branch)!

But come on, Rachel: lovely scenery, uncrowded waterways and cheap ale? It'll never catch on.

I dont want it to catch on its lovely cruising our empty waterways not having great ques at locks perfik

London - by all accounts is hell and that affects much of the GU northwards.

Similarly the K&A.

OTOH if you like fighting to find a mooring space and don't mind mooring alongside a very busy railway - then go for it

Not trying to put you off but with so many static liveaboards, cruising is becoming most unpleasant.

The upper Thames is less pressurised but there aren't a lot of moorings and EA are beginning to charge for theirs.

Perhaps a bit more research is needed.

Can you get up the Stort - can't remember the practical beam/length limit?

I'd also recommend the North but bear in mind you're limited to the North East, there's no way over the Pennines for 65' x 10'. You have the Soar and the Trent in front of you, the Erewash, the Fossdyke, the Witham, and all around Yorkshire, although there has been some debate how about how long the shortest lock on the Stainforth and Keadby is. Maybe someone could clear that up? Can a 65' boat get through. I seems to remember Tony Dunkley saying it was possible but all the online info says it's not.

I'd also recommend the North but bear in mind you're limited to the North East, there's no way over the Pennines for 65' x 10'. You have the Soar and the Trent in front of you, the Erewash, the Fossdyke, the Witham, and all around Yorkshire, although there has been some debate how about how long the shortest lock on the Stainforth and Keadby is. Maybe someone could clear that up? Can a 65' boat get through. I seems to remember Tony Dunkley saying it was possible but all the online info says it's not.

Or cut the Stainforth and Keadby out and go round to Goole and enter the Aire and Calder there.

And not forgetting the lovely Selby Canal.

Thorne lock is the problem lock. It is stated everywhere but incorrectly what boat size can get through. I have personaly been through with my seventy foot narrowboat ( just ) but a widebeam is of course different. I would hazard a gues having been there that such a boat could go through and if Tony says it will then he will be right but I have only been through on a seventy foot narrowboat and a fifty foot widebeam ( a doddle )

I've never been aboard a widebeam (except when unloading coal onto one for the NBT), or on much of the wide northern waters, but would definitely agree that anyone planning to CC on one should find the northern waters a nicer experience, because much less crowded. For this purpose the OP's location in the East Midlands is very much part of the north of course.

What seems to have been missed is that the OP said:

"Would be looking to sell the boat or put her on a winter mooring in September"

There's a general concensus that boats (narrow or wide) sell for higher prices in the south, because although moorings and a lot else are more expensive, there's still more demand due to people wanting to live aboard down here, especially in London but other areas too. So if the OP decides on selling it, two grand to move the boat south can be seen as an investment. Then it just becomes a question of whether he wants to do his summer of CC'ing in the north or south.

I've never been aboard a widebeam (except when unloading coal onto one for the NBT), or on much of the wide northern waters, but would definitely agree that anyone planning to CC on one should find the northern waters a nicer experience, because much less crowded. For this purpose the OP's location in the East Midlands is very much part of the north of course.

What seems to have been missed is that the OP said:

"Would be looking to sell the boat or put her on a winter mooring in September"

There's a general concensus that boats (narrow or wide) sell for higher prices in the south, because although moorings and a lot else are more expensive, there's still more demand due to people wanting to live aboard down here, especially in London but other areas too. So if the OP decides on selling it, two grand to move the boat south can be seen as an investment. Then it just becomes a question of whether he wants to do his summer of CC'ing in the north or south.

On the flip side if he does decide to winter the boat in a marina it may be easier and will be cheaper to do so in the North.

Thorne lock is the problem lock. It is stated everywhere but incorrectly what boat size can get through. I have personaly been through with my seventy foot narrowboat ( just ) but a widebeam is of course different. I would hazard a gues having been there that such a boat could go through and if Tony says it will then he will be right but I have only been through on a seventy foot narrowboat and a fifty foot widebeam ( a doddle )

Certainly, when I went through I didn't notice Thorne Lock being short. I remember being confused by the swing bridge mechanism for a bit. I seem to remember Bramwith Lock being shorter than Thorne.

Certainly, when I went through I didn't notice Thorne Lock being short. I remember being confused by the swing bridge mechanism for a bit. I seem to remember Bramwith Lock being shorter than Thorne.

Bramwith has another set of gates so you can make the lock longer.

Bramwith has another set of gates so you can make the lock longer.

You beat me to it biggrin.png Bramwith most certainly does have 3 sets of gates and can take stuff moocho bigger than Thorne.....as I said Thorne lock is the usual problem for some boats. Bramwith has some nice spots to moor at though.

I also have no experience of widebeam cruising.

What I do have is experience of being a liveaboard, moored for a couple of years at the very same marina as the OP when I worked nearby (In fact I think we have chatted at the bus-stop) and for the last 3 years as a continuous cruiser.

So what I would say is that until you've had a good while out CC-ing, you don't know what you are missing. While you can imagine the potential difficulties, you may not altogether appreciate the wonderful sense of freedom it gives you. It may even be that once you have had a good season out here, you decide not to sell up in September. Living aboard in a marina, or even on a permanent mooring is just so very different to a CC lifestyle.

As for the north/south divide, I would not find much to choose, really. The north is lovely and quiet, but there will be issues with the length of your boat. The south far busier, but still some great enjoyment to be had. £2k is another year's licence, insurance and fuel for a decent cruise, so I'd think twice about spending it now on moving the boat south.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the freedom and have a great trip.

Edited by NilesMI

Ely is in the South.

No, it's in East Anglia, which is a bit further North than most people imagine, if indeed such a thought crosses their mind at all. Here in Upwell (some 18 miles from Ely, I think) we are more or less on a level with Leicester.

Good lateral thinking, Mr. Gypsy!

No, it's in East Anglia, which is a bit further North than most people imagine, if indeed such a thought crosses their mind at all. Here in Upwell (some 18 miles from Ely, I think) we are more or less on a level with Leicester.

Good lateral thinking, Mr. Gypsy!

It's no further north than I know it to be -- but it is south of the Wash, which is what matters!

Before you spend £2k to get it moved have you considered CCing in the north first for a change of scenery?

You still have miles and miles of waterways to discover before moving her down south. cheers.gif

I have, and am certainly warming to the idea. There is of course more to the decision than I posted, partly due to work and also to the potential sale of the boat. My main concern, having cruised up here a bit is the somewhat mercurial river and the lack of online moorings during the summer :) However, i have to say, you're winning me over!

Will look into that, thanks Dave.