tow vehicle

robby

Featured Posts

A little grey fergie would do the job

[/url]">http://anexcellentuseforfergie1.jpg

Likely it would. My mate had one many years aog on his rather old fashioned farm. Used to amaze me what it could shift and do. It was central to everything on the farm either as a tractor or a power plant via a pulley.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you gentlemen, all your suggestions have been considered, and I think the best suggestion was for me to change clubs, they are a miserable bunch of assholes, as for borrowing a friends 4x4 this could loose me a friend, but when I saw that dumper pull me out the first time I thought a 4x4 would do the job, but doing it could have consequences, to say nothing of what it would do for my blood pressure and my underwear, recently I have been looking at tow tugs and I went to Beestone marina to see a small one called a TT40 that they use and it pulls about 12 tons they have number plates and are classed as a vehicle might be a way around the club rules and when they see how wonderful it works they will buy it from me, and pigs might bloody fly.

I would imagine that any well managed club will have a written procedure with risk assessment for using their slipway by people authorised to carryout that task and anything else would be outside their insurance, just like WRG have authorised digger drivers etc.

The TT40 is an aircraft tug! Not surprised it can pull a boat up a ramp smile.png

Manufactured by Aebi in Switzerland.

He might have a flying boat. closedeyes.gif

Pulling 12 tons on the level is somewhat easier than pulling 12 tons up a ramp.

there are TT40's around Ex WD with 2500l ford diesel engines priced at £1500 and when i showed the club the committee said we have got a JCB. HELP

But if the have a JCB that will do the job why buy anything else. Braunston bottom lock use a JCB. Even if they bought the TT40 you would still be stuck with them pulling it out and putting it back.

I would imagine that any well managed club will have a written procedure with risk assessment for using their slipway by people authorised to carryout that task and anything else would be outside their insurance, just like WRG have authorised digger drivers etc.

Hmmmm......can of worms here.....for starters, what licence is required to drive a digger? Or a telehandler or a tractor? What other qualification is legally required? etc

Years ago before jet aircraft PBY Catalina amphibious flying boats were used on the trans Pacific route. They hopped across calling at Honolulu each time where they would be hauled out by tractor, up a ramp for re-fueling and servicing and refreshments, after tea they were re-floated to fly onward..

Years ago before jet aircraft PBY Catalina amphibious flying boats were used on the trans Pacific route. They hopped across calling at Honolulu each time where they would be hauled out by tractor, up a ramp for re-fueling and servicing and refreshments, after tea they were re-floated to fly onward..

Lovely things,had a flight on a military version when I worked in the States

Bumpy take off(force 3) but a wonderful flight

CT

Hmmmm......can of worms here.....for starters, what licence is required to drive a digger? Or a telehandler or a tractor? What other qualification is legally required? etc

Doesn't matter. If the Club have rules, probably laid down by their insurance, then that is it.

Lovely things,had a flight on a military version when I worked in the States

Bumpy take off(force 3) but a wonderful flight

CT

Yes they are nice. I once had a customer who was an RAF air sea rescue pilot working out of Shannon Ireland, he flew Short Sunderlands and single pusher prop Otter and Walrus biplane flying boats. He said that the Otter and Walrus were a waste of time if there was a strong Westerly wind. as trying to fly against it the plane would be almost stationary, hovering and the only way to make headway was to get it up high and keep diving and side slipping into the wind. He said that they were better for landing and taking off on rough water than the Sunderland was though. Taking off was full throttle and to bounce them airborne off a large wave. He was shot down in a Sunderland over the the Bay of Biscay by Heinkel fighters, he was the sole survivor, rescued by a Portuguese fishing boat. But his war was over, invalided out, he was in the water for hours on end which ruined his circulation. His car was an Austin 1100 with invalid controls.

Yes they are nice. I once had a customer who was an RAF air sea rescue pilot working out of Shannon Ireland, he flew Short Sunderlands and single pusher prop Otter and Walrus biplane flying boats. He said that the Otter and Walrus were a waste of time if there was a strong Westerly wind. as trying to fly against it the plane would be almost stationary, hovering and the only way to make headway was to get it up high and keep diving and side slipping into the wind. He said that they were better for landing and taking off on rough water than the Sunderland was though. Taking off was full throttle and to bounce them airborne off a large wave. He was shot down in a Sunderland over the the Bay of Biscay by Heinkel fighters, he was the sole survivor, rescued by a Portuguese fishing boat. But his war was over, invalided out, he was in the water for hours on end which ruined his circulation. His car was an Austin 1100 with invalid controls.

Why do Heineken pilots get so aggressive?they should feel constantly refreshed!

CT

Why do Heineken pilots get so aggressive?they should feel constantly refreshed!

CT

They were quite bitter about it because they really wanted to fly lager planes.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

Because they really wanted to fly larger planes.

Incidentally before WW2 during the mid 1930's I think, it was the first British regular civilian trans Atlantic service was begun, using the Short Empire flying boats,''the civilian version of the Sunderland. Again from Shannon to St Johns Newfoundland which was about the shortest hop, they would then fly further into the States and Canada, plenty of lakes and rivers for them to use. The Short Empire also opened up services to the middle and far East. It was easy, didn't need runways, just enough water and there's plenty of that about, even lake Chad in the middle of the Sahara desert.

I have no idea, but we are talking about club premises and they can put what restrictions on they like.

Incidentally before WW2 during the mid 1930's I think, it was the first British regular civilian trans Atlantic service was begun, using the Short Empire flying boats,''the civilian version of the Sunderland. Again from Shannon to St Johns Newfoundland which was about the shortest hop, they would then fly further into the States and Canada, plenty of lakes and rivers for them to use. The Short Empire also opened up services to the middle and far East. It was easy, didn't need runways, just enough water and there's plenty of that about, even lake Chad in the middle of the Sahara desert.

The fares on these flights were very expensive, only the very rich could afford it, especially the flights to the far East. You see, the plane, as well as the crew had to carry a mechanic for routine servicing at the many stop overs and at these stop overs, petrol fuel dumps in 40 gallon drums with pumps had to be created, organized and kept replenished. Long distance flying was all quite adventurous and a bit risky in those days, everyone could have been clubbed to death by savages or cooked in a pot and gobbled up by Cannibals or attacked by wild beasts in the jungle for example. mellow.png

it is regarded as a self help club and if you can do it yourself then there is no waiting for the JCB driver if he is missing then you are stuffed just been looking at a discovery 3 and it looks good