Waterside Moorings email

BargeeSpud

Featured Posts

Hiya,

Today, I've received an email from Waterside Moorings about my mooring permit. Now I know the email address is genuine because the email server is @canalrivertrust.org.uk. However, this is the first that I've heard of this offshoot of CRT & I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me more about it as it seems that from Jan 1st I will be dealing with them plus they will no longer be issuing paper permits like the DVLA no longer does for road tax (bit of a strange comparison).

So, what's the griff? Tell me more people.

Cheers,

Ade.

I'm sure you can, and furthermore, you may smile.png

Almost word for word what I used to reply to pupils who asked me "Can I go to the toilet?"

Hiya,

Today, I've received an email from Waterside Moorings about my mooring permit. Now I know the email address is genuine because the email server is @canalrivertrust.org.uk. However, this is the first that I've heard of this offshoot of CRT & I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me more about

So, what's the griff? Tell me more people.

Yes, it's the new name for CART's moorings division. It is, what's more, a badly thought-out name, as the moorings are on the water, not beside it.

As for the Griff, it's a disused colliery arm on the Coventry.

OK, I tried searching for the topic before starting the thread, but used the wrong keywords obviously! Sorry.

One question though, will we still be offered early settlement discounts?

Yes, if payment made by DD is made prior to start of the period. However my DD is always taken on the 1st of the month, which obviously isn't prior to the start of the month. This has always given me the discount previously, but I am seeking clarification that the first of the month of the booking period still qualifies. It should, but I've been caught out by such wording before!

The DVLA used to say "handing in on the 1st will not do" when you used to be able to reclaim unused RFL.

Edited by dor

OK, I tried searching for the topic before starting the thread, but used the wrong keywords obviously! Sorry.

One question though, will we still be offered early settlement discounts?

No need to apologise. Your question was slightly different anyway. I just thought you might want to look at the other thread.

As 2 da grama peddents icecream.gif

Yes, if payment made by DD is made prior to start of the period. However my DD is always taken on the 1st of the month, which obviously isn't prior to the start of the month. This has always given me the discount previously, but I am seeking clarification that the first of the month of the booking period still qualifies. It should, but I've been caught out by such wording before!

The DVLA used to say "handing in on the 1st will not do" when you used to be able to reclaim unused RFL.

As I've said in the other thread, they've told me DD will only be taken over 12 months, rather than in one dollop. No idea if that invalidates he discount, so I've asked too. It would help if they gave a bit more detail in these emails - they must be flooded with queries.

Yes, it's the new name for CART's moorings division. It is, what's more, a badly thought-out name, as the moorings are on the water, not beside it.

When I go to moor my boat, I usually find the moorings are on the bank, not on the water. Rings and bollards don't float very well....... But at present it's moored to a jetty, so I suppose that's on the water, and pontoons even more so.

Almost word for word what I used to reply to pupils who asked me "Can I go to the toilet?"

As for the Griff, it's a disused colliery arm on the Coventry.

A reasonable simplification of moorings, is that there's 2 parts to a mooring: The bit with water in it, where the boat floats; and the bit on land where access to things like decent rings/bollards, walkway, car parking, toilets/bins/showers/laundrette may be located nearby.

The "water" bit is remarkably consistent although a few considerations might be: is it deep enough for my boat to float in it; is it well enough out of the way to prevent the boat being scraped by (many) others - for example an online mooring next to a bridge or a lock could be a bad mooring, where a marina one could be good on that measure (although it depends on how well your next door neighbours can drive).

The "bankside" bit is much more variable, for example is it publically accessible (towpath side online), offside, secure, the facilities which go with the mooring decent or non existant etc.

Some of the questions also appear on their FAQ

Q. Why the name change?

The Canal & River Trust is a navigation authority which fulfils statutory functions on the one hand, but also chooses to provide and manage long term, permanent moorings across its network as part of its commercial activities on the other. The Trust has no statutory duty to provide long term moorings.

The name change for our long term permanent moorings is intended to allow our customers to more easily distinguish between temporary or casual mooring in the course of navigation (e.g. use of visitor moorings or short term moorings provided at service facilities), these being part of our statutory role and long term moorings for paying customers’ private benefit, that we provide to earn a commercial return (e.g. long term, permanent moorings which are directly managed by the Trust). Any profit derived from this activity is re-invested back into the Trust to contribute towards the substantial cost of managing our 2,000 mile network of canals and rivers.

https://www.watersidemooring.com/Home/FAQ

There seems to be staff changes afoot too. I had occasion to speak to Maria Nash the other day and her job title has changed to "Moorings sales Manager", which used to be (i think!) "Moorings Manager".

Makes sense, she sells you a mooring, rather than you tie your boat to her (to which she might object) :)

Ahhh Mrs is from beduff, yes she has three toes!

Another forum member is beduff based!

Left whitestone/bulkington this morning, now heading up the lovely ashby.

The Ashby is pretty :)

When you passed Trinity did you notice a shabby looking, sad for itself WotEver on the linear moorings? It appears that the new owners have given her zero love since buying her.

The Ashby is pretty :)

When you passed Trinity did you notice a shabby looking, sad for itself WotEver on the linear moorings? It appears that the new owners have given her zero love since buying her.

Stopping there tomorrow for fuel, did see it last time I went past and it was looking a little sorry, front cratch was ripped, think it was moored on the off side...