mooring needed near Hounslow

Prakash B

Featured Posts

Hi, We have just joined as recommended by another boater on the cut. We are hoping someone can help or advice us as we are on our way to Hounslow where I have a 3 month work contract and need a mooring within commuting distance by car to Hounslow. We are currently on route and should arrive in Hounslow about the 16th December.

Many thanks

Prakash

Have a look at Brentford moorings in the basin above the gauging lock. I bet you could find one there (at a price). It's a 10 minute drive to Hounslow.

Otherwise you might still be able to get a winter mooring at Brentford visitor moorings on the towpath opposite the marina - assuming they still have them there?

Edited by blackrose

Hounslow council are very, very strict with 'moorers' and this year alone they have take formal proceedings to remove boats.

I know of only two actions to remove moorers taken by Hounslow; one actively offensive, one reactively defensive. I assume you refer to the trespass claim taken against the WatermansPark boats? That is going to be a prolonged and expensive battle regardless of the outcome, because they never did take appropriate advice.

The case management conference took place just a fortnight ago, with a hearing set for next year sometime. Bureaucracy breeds such morons. With proper fore-thought and intelligent realpolitik the Council could have handled this situation with profitable aplomb, instead of stepping into the mire they have now immersed themselves in.

I have assured the boaters concerned that Hounslow can win in the end, but they are determined to make Hounslow fight to the bitter and expensive end over the issue – an eventuality so easily avoidable had the Council listened to quiet reason instead of adopting the CaRT style of arrogant juggernaut litigiousness.

Have a look at Brentford moorings in the basin above the gauging lock. I bet you could find one there (at a price). It's a 10 minute drive to Hounslow.

Otherwise you might still be able to get a winter mooring at Brentford visitor moorings on the towpath opposite the marina.

Why would you need to drive? The bus service from Brentford High Street to Hounslow is swift and regular, and there is the train service as well. I seriously doubt you could get one of the 'permanent' island moorings though, and the towpath moorings are only available longer term during winter [however they currently define that].

No harm in asking though - why not suggest that you are willing to act as a warden for the period?

Given the time frame for the litigation Alan has referred to, you would be safe enough nestling in with the Watermans Park lot if you could wangle a friendly invite - or even, if you had the requisite tender, utilise the rubbish barge buoys opposite the Dock Estates,

Come to that, despite having an official 'no residential' policy, the Dock Estates marina could be a very viable solution for the 3 month period. You just need to ensure that your boat looks OK - when I kept a boat there some years back, I had to send photographs beforehand. The prices are competitive for the area.

Hounslow council are very, very strict with 'moorers' and this year alone they have take formal proceedings to remove boats.

And even if that's true, what does it have to do with this thread? The OP posts what appears to be his first message looking for a mooring, and you reply warning of legal action!

Charming!

And even if that's true, what does it have to do with this thread? The OP posts what appears to be his first message looking for a mooring, and you reply warning of legal action!

Charming!

Are you on a wind-up ?

The op is arriving in Hounslow on or around the 16th of this month and is looking for a mooring in the 'area'.

I was suggesting that he should be aware of some of the enforcement activities in the area & to ensure that he did not 'push the boundaries'

• Greenie 1

You can always moor up at one of the marinas further out, perhaps Iver or Harefield and drive, bus or train to Hounslow.

Last year Harefield Marina was around £1000 for 3 months for a 70 footer. Non residential but you are not staying long.

How about Packetboat Marina

Packetboat always say 'no chance' to boaters they don't know. In my personal experience!

How about trying Highline Yatching at Iver? They are within 30 mins by car of Hounslow.

Or just CC on the slough arm for the three months. CRT are not going to notice or care for just three months in winter.

When I asked about mooring for 3 months at Willowtree they said they didn't take short term moorers

Oh I didn't know that. They do have visitors for a few weeks sometimes. But maybe 3 months is too long for a "visit".

Hi, We have just joined as recommended by another boater on the cut. We are hoping someone can help or advice us as we are on our way to Hounslow where I have a 3 month work contract and need a mooring within commuting distance by car to Hounslow. We are currently on route and should arrive in Hounslow about the 16th December.

Many thanks

Prakash

CRT Have a number of winter moorings in West London which cover your required period:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/29872-london-waterways-winter-mooring-maps.pdf

Might be worth asking if any are still free, Contact details:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/mooring-your-boat/winter-moorings

Tim

CRT Have a number of winter moorings in West London which cover your required period:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/29872-london-waterways-winter-mooring-maps.pdf

Might be worth asking if any are still free, Contact details:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/mooring-your-boat/winter-moorings

Tim

Dont you have to have had a CC licence for the past year to get one. (I know CC is not the right term but you all know what I mean)

Dont you have to have had a CC licence for the past year to get one. (I know CC is not the right term but you all know what I mean)

I don't think so.....

Who can buy a winter mooring?

Both boaters with a home mooring and continuous cruisers will be able to take up a winter mooring.

However boaters who are not meeting their licence requirements may not be eligible.

More in this document.

No, not any longer.

I have a home mooring and successfully purchased a winter mooring for two months, miles away.

Not that there is any feckin' space on it... but that's different story!

(Ok being fair, there wasn't any when I arrived and now there is. But now I'm ice-bound.)