Drones

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

"Have fun with your amazing unmanned aircraft, which you are not allowed to fly anywhere!"

I asked a local landowner for permission, which was instantly given.

then he asked what the weight and size of my machine was, after telling him the answer permission was given to do close passes of any machinery that he had working on his land (his outlook was that if I screwed up it wasn't going to cause any major damage to his equipment)

the bane of modern civilisation and the end of personal privacy - don't mad.gif

I have never ever actually encountered anyone flying one anywhere, (radio controlled aircraft I have very occasionally) so I can't think it's that big a problem is it?

Really?

I have never ever actually encountered anyone flying one anywhere, (radio controlled aircraft I have very occasionally) so I can't think it's that big a problem is it?

Really?

Not until one brings down the first aircraft. Which will happen one day at some airport.

Interesting, my son tells me that the software on his won't let it fly within the legal distance of an airport.

Very good but that is not the case for all of them there have been near misses (at least so I am told) and does that include small grass runway type airfields or merely those big enough to have tarmac runways.

EDIT: To add.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-37042796

Edited by Jerra

I have got one (DJI phantom 4) and am really pleased with the ease that you can fly them an the quality of the photos and video- I believe the the new phantom 4 pro is a major improvement if the 4.

Basically it takes your photography to another level.

I always ask the landowners permission to fly and have never been refused

Get one!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Not until one brings down the first aircraft. Which will happen one day at some airport.

THE CAA and the FAA have done extensive risk analysis and have concluded that current regulations are sufficient. The risks to aircraft from drones are many orders of magnitude less than from bird strikes.

The air accident investigation board examined the aircraft that was the centre of the big media hype about "drone hits airliner " and found no evidence of any impact what so ever. Did that fact get splashed across the media ? No it didn't

Back to the original question, if you don't already know how to fly get something small and learn to fly indoors. Avoid cheap toys from market stalls or Maplin get something made by a recognised model company. The Blade inductix is a good starter, it's small and light and has the props in ducts so it will bounce off walls .

Top Cat

THE CAA and the FAA have done extensive risk analysis and have concluded that current regulations are sufficient. The risks to aircraft from drones are many orders of magnitude less than from bird strikes.

The air accident investigation board examined the aircraft that was the centre of the big media hype about "drone hits airliner " and found no evidence of any impact what so ever. Did that fact get splashed across the media ? No it didn't

Back to the original question, if you don't already know how to fly get something small and learn to fly indoors. Avoid cheap toys from market stalls or Maplin get something made by a recognised model company. The Blade inductix is a good starter, it's small and light and has the props in ducts so it will bounce off walls .

Top Cat

Interesting a quick google shows a number of incidents this year including the headline pilots report 4 near misses in a month. Also one over the great Lakes in Canada where the plane had to go into a dive to miss it slightly injuring 2 cabin staff. However personally I doubt that one was a drone.

EDIT: To add an r and remove an e

Edited by Jerra

Really?

you need to get out more Martin.

the last one I saw was being flown from the sea wall at Severn Beach and it was hovering over the motorway bridge.

never mind aircraft, what if one crashes onto a busy motorway?

you need to get out more Martin.

the last one I saw was being flown from the sea wall at Severn Beach and it was hovering over the motorway bridge.

never mind aircraft, what if one crashes onto a busy motorway?

Would that not count as a congested area and so be against the rules?

It's OK, the rules are sufficient.

Oh, doesn't everyone obey the rules?

I was trying to be a little more subtle. If everybody obeyed the rules the software block mentioned earlier about flying near airports would never have been written.

Yes, of course, no offence intended. But can the software be worked around (say by a savvy 14-year-old?

No offence taken in fact I didn't see it as offensive in the slightest. I would suspect you are right about the 114 year old except you are probably aiming too old. I watched a program about hacking and an expert on hacking said most normally intelligent 7 or 8 year olds acn get past much internet security if they are so inclined.

If everyone abided by the rules then there would be no problem but they don't, however tightening the rules only affects those that obey, the idiots that don't will continue.

Have sensible rules and enforcing them is far more effective than ever tightened rules which get ignored.

A classic example is the blood alcohol limit for driving, most who are caught are well over the limit, reducing the limit wouldn't affect their behavior.

Top Cat

• Greenie 1