Multimeter reading of 17v

hackenbush

Featured Posts

They saw you coming Mike,I just bought one same spec. for £5.07

CT

I did likewise just to have a play with it. But mine's from China so will take a while. 2 weeks so far and counting.

Just to confer with the solar. I have two little and ancient 30w panels which most solar boaters would laugh at and even these are producing an amp or so, though I have angled one to face the sun.

I have been thinking a bit more about approaches for low cost basic liveaboard electrics, and the OP is probably one of those rare cases where a Smartguage would Not be a good investment. His electrical use (current draw) is very low, and probably zero for some hours each day, so a measure of voltage will be adequate, especially as he has a desire to learn about these things. I stand by my suggestion of a simple built in volts and amps display. It should be relatively easy to get an approximate correction between off load/rested volts and battery volts with a LED turned on.

However if next Christmas any of his wealthy relatives are stuck for Christmas present idea a then I am sure a Smartguage could be included.

..............Dave

Agreed, OP doesn't need to splash out on any expensive metering. If he has a spare £100 he can put it towards solar :)

They saw you coming Mike,I just bought one same spec. for £5.07

CT

At this rate it won't be long before those good people in China start paying Us to take this stuff off their hands.

On that subject, I was not allowed into the tip at Newbury recently as I could not prove I was a resident, and upon a bit of www research I found that Berkshire are actually considering charging people to enter the tip, I reckon it won't be long before we have to pay to get rid off our surplus electronic gizmos.

Also we got sold some very bad diesel in the summer (from a reputable outlet who will thus remain nameless) and I eventually paid to get the last 80 litres sucked out and disposed off. Paid a £50 disposal charge for 80litres which at £62p/litre is more than some people charge to supply the stuff.

...............Dave

Edited by dmr

At this rate it won't be long before those good people in China start paying Us to take this stuff off their hands.

On that subject, I was not allowed into the tip at Newbury recently as I could not prove I was a resident, and upon a bit of www research I found that Berkshire are actually considering charging people to enter the tip, I reckon it won't be long before we have to pay to get rid off our surplus electronic gizmos.

Also we got sold some very bad diesel in the summer (from a reputable outlet who will thus remain nameless) and I eventually paid to get the last 80 litres sucked out and disposed off. Paid a £50 disposal charge for 80litres which at £62p/litre is more than some people charge to supply the stuff.

...............Dave

As the Chinese are building a replica of the Titanic they may keep a few of those Volt/Ammeters back for it's Bridge instrumentation?

CT

For reasons involving laborious long term and difficult studies i really don t get to go boating ( i liveaboard ) as much as poss & so my boat is mostly moored up .

I find in winter that solar is completely effective BUT this is because i tailor my electrical needs to what my solar can provide as opposed to tailoring my solar to what electrical power i want .

Im careful with my electrical usage .

So , if Hackenbush , your needs are humble regarding electrical power then i would get than panel wired up ASAP

. Where u are it ought to be bright and sunny today and there would be a definate advantage to having your solar installed on days of a similar nature .

My boat runs off solar all year with usage very different in summer and winter but i find that the solar provides for me .

I have 400 w of panels laid flat and 4x 110ah of batts .

Id get onto fitting that panel as a priority because it will help on bright sunny days . If u can combine it with a smartgauge as soon as financially viable then i think you ll be on the way towards very much improving your charging / monitoring routine . Whats more as time moves on you can look to add more solar and more batts again if funds allow

Just my tuppence

Very good advice. I'll wire up as soon as I can and hopefully take advantage of tomorrow's forecast sun

Thats possibly overcomplicating things if there is more than one panel available. I'd suggest starting by just connecting up a single panel to start with. Then add in a second if it works!

An ammeter of some sort is about the only way of knowing if it's working though, so getting one is high priority.

(Other than seeing a small spark when initially connecting the second wire from the panel to the battery!)

Wouldn't the multimeter be able to check if it's working?

Yes, it was 12.something later that same day.

I have no idea why I was getting that reading originally

I seem to remember the op saying the reason for not fitting his solar oanel was lack of funds for the cables and a controller.

The correct cables and a controller are not strictly necessary and on a sunny winter day like today it seems criminal not to jury-rig the panel to the battery using any old bits of wire that can be found. The charge current will be modest anyway with the sum so low and a controller is only really necessary for permanent installations. If I were the OP I'd just connect the panel wires directly to the battery terminals now. I'd suggest only doing this while on the boat and able to supervise the charging.

Just to confer with the solar. I have two little and ancient 30w panels which most solar boaters would laugh at and even these are producing an amp or so, though I have angled one to face the sun.

I have been thinking a bit more about approaches for low cost basic liveaboard electrics, and the OP is probably one of those rare cases where a Smartguage would Not be a good investment. His electrical use (current draw) is very low, and probably zero for some hours each day, so a measure of voltage will be adequate, especially as he has a desire to learn about these things. I stand by my suggestion of a simple built in volts and amps display. It should be relatively easy to get an approximate correction between off load/rested volts and battery volts with a LED turned on.

However if next Christmas any of his wealthy relatives are stuck for Christmas present idea a then I am sure a Smartguage could be included.

..............Dave

Yes I think I want to get what Mike bought

Wouldn't the multimeter be able to check if it's working?

If you're talking about the new DC clamp meter then yes, as it is indeed 'an ammeter of some sort' :)

If you're talking about measuring voltage then not really, a directly connected panel will take a long while to increase the battery voltage.

I have no idea why I was getting that reading originally

Yes I think I want to get what Mike bought

This is my purchase. It's arrived now but I've not fitted it or tried it in any way.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142113133369?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you buy the same you'll be back on here for advice fitting it. There are NO instructions, just a polythene bag containing the display, the shunt and two short connectors!

The shunt by the way will need a mounting and insulation devised. It is just a strip of steel with a bolt in each end.

This is my purchase. It's arrived now but I've not fitted it or tried it in any way.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142113133369?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you buy the same you'll be back on here for advice fitting it. There are NO instructions, just a polythene bag containing the display, the shunt and two short connectors!

The shunt by the way will need a mounting and insulation devised. It is just a strip of steel with a bolt in each end.

It's on my shopping list

I bought a couple at half that price from China but bear delivery times in mind. I purchased 17th Nov and eta is 21st Dec.

Hmmm. Mine took five days to arrive from London!

Actually its worse than that. I ordered it on 19th November and it arrived 1st Dec.

Hmmm. Mine took five days to arrive from London!Actually its worse than that. I ordered it on 19th November and it arrived 1st Dec.

I'm tempted by the Chinese if delivery times aren't that different

It's slightly off-topic but related as I'm using the engine to charge batteries... I haven't been able to track down the recommended API rated oil for my engine. Would I be risking irreparable damage sing another rated oil temporarily?

It's slightly off-topic but related as I'm using the engine to charge batteries... I haven't been able to track down the recommended API rated oil for my engine. Would I be risking irreparable damage sing another rated oil temporarily?

In the past I have bought from China and away from Christmas it is usually one to two weeks, but in December you will be lucky if it's less than a month.

The wiring diagram is in the eBay advert!

Wish you had told me about this, I have the "other version" that is all red displays but also does amp-hours, you could have had it for a pint or two, in fact you still can if you want.

It has a similar looking shunt but I think its 200amps. I eventually decided not to fit it, partly because as you say it needs a shunt mounting devising, and secondly because I already have a shunt in my positive feed and moving it to the negative was just too much of a fag.

Alternatively Mr Hackenbush could have it if he is ever in the K&A area to collect it (and buy me a pint) as I don't want the hassle of boxing it up and posting it etc (but could maybe be persuaded).

.............Dave

Another oil would most likely be ok for a bit...but..... The risk is bore glazing where additives from the oil form a hard varnish on the cylinder walls which causes all sorts of problems and is not easily cured (engine strip down). Its something that might happen rather than something that will happen. If you do risk it you can minimise the risk by getting the engine hot as quickly as you can and keeping it hot, avoid lots of running at idle and low revs. This is why you see a lot of boats running in gear when charging the batteries....which is against the rules as it can erode the canal edge.

You really should not have too much trouble finding some API CC or similar. Halfords will certainly do it. Am pretty sure you can get it at Wilko too, it will be called "classic" or sumat similar.

............Dave

Another oil would most likely be ok for a bit...but..... The risk is bore glazing where additives from the oil form a hard varnish on the cylinder walls which causes all sorts of problems and is not easily cured (engine strip down). Its something that might happen rather than something that will happen. If you do risk it you can minimise the risk by getting the engine hot as quickly as you can and keeping it hot, avoid lots of running at idle and low revs. This is why you see a lot of boats running in gear when charging the batteries....which is against the rules as it can erode the canal edge.

You really should not have too much trouble finding some API CC or similar. Halfords will certainly do it. Am pretty sure you can get it at Wilko too, it will be called "classic" or sumat similar.

............Dave

Wilko sell a CC oil in 5Lt tins, yes tins not plastic.£15 if I remember right and yes its Classic

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm looking straight at it

The 20:50 might be a little thick, especially in the winter, but should do for now, hopefully the Lister gurus will have some advice.

It might just be a little sluggish to turn over if its really cold, but if its an old worn out engine it might even like a bit of the thicker stuff.

A "friend" used to put bananas into worn out gear boxes to tighten things up a bit.

..............Dave