Multimeter reading of 17v

hackenbush

Featured Posts

I got chatting to a lubricants sales rep in the pub the other day. He reckoned Most oils sold for 'classic cars' was not really appropriate for vintage diesels as the additives that suit 1970s petrol engines lead to bore glazing in old diesels.

The Comma SAE30 I currently have in my Kelvin ought to be replaced with Morris SAE30. Morris is the only oil on the market that doesn't contain the additives that lead to bore glazing in vintage diesels, he reckoned.

This was after five pints though....

I got chatting to a lubricants sales rep in the pub the other day. He reckoned Most oils sold for 'classic cars' was not really appropriate for vintage diesels as the additives that suit 1970s petrol engines lead to bore glazing in old diesels.

The Comma SAE30 I currently have in my Kelvin ought to be replaced with Morris SAE30. Morris is the only oil on the market that doesn't contain the additives that lead to bore glazing in vintage diesels, he reckoned.

This was after five pints though....

Did this sales rep work for ........ Morris ????

Of course every self respecting boater should indeed use Morris oils, that lovely blue and yellow can left lying in the well deck just adds a certain credibility.

5 pints? in Berkshire?, that sounds like a second mortgage to me.

...................Dave

Did this sales rep work for ........ Morris ????

Of course every self respecting boater should indeed use Morris oils, that lovely blue and yellow can left lying in the well deck just adds a certain credibility.

5 pints? in Berkshire?, that sounds like a second mortgage to me.

...................Dave

No actually, he was self employed and happens to supply lubricants to the chap in Dunsden Green who maintains my van!

No mortgage required, I'd fixed a boiler in Exeter that day and been paid handsomely... cheers.gif

Where does one buy Morris oil anyway? I never see it for sale...

The wiring diagram is in the eBay advert!

Wish you had told me about this, I have the "other version" that is all red displays but also does amp-hours, you could have had it for a pint or two, in fact you still can if you want.

It has a similar looking shunt but I think its 200amps. I eventually decided not to fit it, partly because as you say it needs a shunt mounting devising, and secondly because I already have a shunt in my positive feed and moving it to the negative was just too much of a fag.

Alternatively Mr Hackenbush could have it if he is ever in the K&A area to collect it (and buy me a pint) as I don't want the hassle of boxing it up and posting it etc (but could maybe be persuaded).

.............Dave

Well that's a kind offer thank you!

But the amp-hour counting is not that big a deal so perhaps give it to that nice Mr Hackenbush. He needs it more than me. Or give it to me and I'll post it to him. I need to post the forum oscilloscope off to that nice Mr WotEver anyway. And I was vaguely planning to visit you n Gilly with a geetar for a noodle one afternoon soon... and pint obviously. Are you anywhere near the Golden Swan?

No actually, he was self employed and happens to supply lubricants to the chap in Dunsden Green who maintains my van!

No mortgage required, I'd fixed a boiler in Exeter that day and been paid handsomely... cheers.gif

Or their website online

Most Chandlers, Good Car Parts shops, or Morris Online will deliver directly to the boat, We get a 25litre drum delivered to the boat twice a year.

..............Dave

Well that's a kind offer thank you!

But the amp-hour counting is not that big a deal so perhaps give it to that nice Mr Hackenbush. He needs it more than me. Or give it to me and I'll post it to him. I need to post the forum oscilloscope off to that nice Mr WotEver anyway. And I was vaguely planning to visit you n Gilly with a geetar for a noodle one afternoon soon... and pint obviously. Are you anywhere near the Golden Swan?

Not been to the Golden Swan for years but hear it is good these days.

Currently sat in the ice at Pewsey investing beer money at the Waterfront Bar but heading into overstaying territory so must move soon. Might stop at Honeystreet if there is space, otherwise Devizes, but could stop near the Swan for a couple of days.

Gillies broken wrist almost fixed so geetar playing has resumed.

...............Dave

Blimey. You do know you are supposed to pour it into your engine on an infrequent basis, not use it as a cocktail ingredient?

I did wonder why the Hangovers are so bad (and the cider slips down so easily).

.............Dave

Not been to the Golden Swan for years but hear it is good these days.

Currently sat in the ice at Pewsey investing beer money at the Waterfront Bar but heading into overstaying territory so must move soon. Might stop at Honeystreet if there is space, otherwise Devizes, but could stop near the Swan for a couple of days.

Gillies broken wrist almost fixed so geetar playing has resumed.

...............Dave

Probably heard that from me :) Been in several times recently and yes beer and food it good. AND they have a parrot!

Frozen over again here now at Kintbury too.

Yeahbut there aren't any proper chandlers on the K&A are there!

I'll order some from their website though, thanks. Didn't know about that.

The bloke at Newbury is doing a good job lately but I still can't forgive them for taking the winding hole away, having to lock down onto the Kennet to turn after shopping is not good.

...........Dave

The bloke at Newbury is doing a good job lately but I still can't forgive them for taking the winding hole away, having to lock down onto the Kennet to turn after shopping is not good.

...........Dave

Yes actually I agree. But he's missing a trick hiding behind that electric gate. The only way to buy stuff from him if not on a boat is to know his phone number and call him to get the gate opened.

Just bought some at £20 for 5Lt at the local car accessory shop

The wiring diagram is in the eBay advert!

Wish you had told me about this, I have the "other version" that is all red displays but also does amp-hours, you could have had it for a pint or two, in fact you still can if you want.

It has a similar looking shunt but I think its 200amps. I eventually decided not to fit it, partly because as you say it needs a shunt mounting devising, and secondly because I already have a shunt in my positive feed and moving it to the negative was just too much of a fag.

Alternatively Mr Hackenbush could have it if he is ever in the K&A area to collect it (and buy me a pint) as I don't want the hassle of boxing it up and posting it etc (but could maybe be persuaded).

.............Dave

That's a very kind offer, thank you. May be a little while before I get to the K&A but now you've mentioned it it has entered my list of places to go!

The 20:50 might be a little thick, especially in the winter, but should do for now, hopefully the Lister gurus will have some advice.

It might just be a little sluggish to turn over if its really cold, but if its an old worn out engine it might even like a bit of the thicker stuff.

A "friend" used to put bananas into worn out gear boxes to tighten things up a bit.

..............Dave

It wasn't too cold but the engine sounded relieved and turned over just fine luckily