Emergency - Carbon Monoxide

hackenbush

Featured Posts

I've just returned to the boat to find the carbon monoxide alarm sounding. I'm sitting on the deck with the windows and door open. What's strange is there's a noxious toxic smell coming from the boat which I imagine isn't co2 but obviously a sign that something is malfunctioning.

I'm guessing the alarm is designed to only pick up up co2. The only possible causes I can think of are the cooker or the wood burner. The cooker was the last appliance used earlier today and the smell seems to be originating in the galley where it is strongest.

Any ideas what the cause could be and what I can do about it in the short term and longer term?

Carbon Monoxide is NOT CO2 (that would be Carbon Dioxide)

it is an odourless gas so the noxious / toxic smell is NOT carbon monoxide.

first step is turn off the gas at the isolation valve and / or bottles

then turn off the electric at the isolator if it is outside the cabin area, if it is inside LEAVE IT ALONE

Once both are off (if possible) and the boat has been aired for an hour or two enter the boat and try and identify the source of the smell.

My gut reaction is that it will be something electrical that has burnt out (especially if the smell is vaguely like the old TCP antiseptic cream)

Edited by Jess--

Carbon Monoxide is NOT CO2 (that would be Carbon Dioxide)

it is an odourless gas so the noxious / toxic smell is NOT carbon monoxide.

first step is turn off the gas at the isolation valve and / or bottles

then turn off the electric at the isolator if it is outside the cabin area, if it is inside LEAVE IT ALONE

Once both are off (if possible) and the boat has been aired for an hour or two enter the boat and try and identify the source of the smell.

My gut reaction is that it will be something electrical that has burnt out (especially if the smell is vaguely like the old TCP antiseptic cream)

Yes sorry! I keep calling it co2. Monoxide, yes. And yes, waiting for the reading on the alarm to drop to zero and I'll try and locate the source. What's odd is that the reading is high and the alarm is sounding and yet the source isn't carbon monoxide

Yes sorry! I keep calling it co2. Monoxide, yes. And yes, waiting for the reading on the alarm to drop to zero and I'll try and locate the source. What's odd is that the reading is high and the alarm is sounding and yet the source isn't carbon monoxide

CO or carbon monoxide can be produced when anything burns, this includes electrical circuits which also usually stink when they burn

therefore the source of the smell and the source of the carbon monoxide can be the same.

the reason I said to leave the isolator alone if it inside your cabin is just in case there is a gas leak on board, attempting to switch the isolator off could cause a spark and.... Boom

You sure its nothing to do with your new battery charging regime

I don't believe so.

I was cooking earlier and I smelt this odour and moved the co2 alarm into the galley and it sounded. I opened door and windows and alarm stopped quite quickly. I closed windows, locked door to return to powerful odour and alarm bleating.

I left that out earlier because of cold hands

Edited by hackenbush

CO or carbon monoxide can be produced when anything burns, this includes electrical circuits which also usually stink when they burn

therefore the source of the smell and the source of the carbon monoxide can be the same.

the reason I said to leave the isolator alone if it inside your cabin is just in case there is a gas leak on board, attempting to switch the isolator off could cause a spark and.... Boom

Good to know. Have turned gas off. The smell has pretty much gone which unfortunately makes it really hard to find the source!

Hope you get it sorted. Be careful

Thanks!

In view of the other topic I wonder if its a faulty battery being charged and producing sulphur dioxide (I think that's the gas).

It depends upon boat layout and battery location but has any bright metal tarnished. if so a battery fault is likely.

Could be CO being blown into the boat from your own or others stove. Ditto exhaust fumes from a boat engine or generator.

Have you been burning logs at low temperature,could be tar creeping down the Flue joint?

CT

I have been yes. However, the smell makes me think otherwise. It is a kind of TCP smell. I've been sniffing around the galley and put my nose under the grill and although the odour has almost totally disappeared it does seem to come from the grill.

In view of the other topic I wonder if its a faulty battery being charged and producing sulphur dioxide (I think that's the gas).

It depends upon boat layout and battery location but has any bright metal tarnished. if so a battery fault is likely.

Could be CO being blown into the boat from your own or others stove. Ditto exhaust fumes from a boat engine or generator.

I take back my last reply, Cereal Tiller may be onto something. I've just snuffed around the wood burner and that seems like a more likely source. I have to be honest my nose is playing tricks but I'll check again but the smell does actually seem strongest there.

I've checked battery. All seems ok

If so what are my options?

Edited by hackenbush

In an attempt to rule outtwo things that can activate a detector............

Have you got batteries being actively charged from a land-line? If so, are any of them warm to the touch?

Are you emptying a stove ash pan into any kind of "Tippy", bucket, or other container stored within the cabin?

I take back my last reply, Cereal Tiller may be onto something. I've just snuffed around the wood burner and that seems like a more likely source. I have to be honest my nose is playing tricks but I'll check again but the smell does actually seem strongest there.

I've checked battery. All seems ok

If so what are my options?

Remove any Tar from flue,will scrape off when cool,the grill aroma might be that kipper you incinerated this morning?

CT

Have you got batteries being actively charged from a land-line? If so, are any of them warm to the touch?

Are you emptying a stove ash pan into any kind of "Tippy", bucket, or other container stored within the cabin?

No to the battery, yes to the tippy. I have an ash bucket with a lid

You really need to be sure of the source,and not use your Woodburner until you are certain it is safe.

I'm off to sleep at a friends and will return in the morning to conclude safety checks

Remove any Tar from flue,will scrape off when cool,the grill aroma might be that kipper you incinerated this morning?

CT

I think you might be correct about the kipper.

But not wanting to be a pain and I'm sure with a bit of googling I could probably find answers but how do I clean the flue? Are there specific implements? How do I get to the innards of the flue?

Put it outside. Especially if it's galvanised.

Put it outside anyway.

The ash bucket?

Also I have noticed a small crack in the glass window at the front of the stove...