Barry Jenkins Boat Builder info!

Featured Posts

Correct! From your post no.49 it sounded as if you weren't aware of this. My apologies for misunderstanding.

But the Ford based BD3 has been obsolete for a good few years now perhaps 10 or more, and unlike "proper" traditional e gives, is unlikely to spawn dedicated reconditioners.

Edited for autowrong.

Edited by cuthound

But the Ford based BD3 has been obsolete for a good few years now perhaps 10 or more, and unlike "proper" traditional engines, is unlikely to spawn dedicated reconditioners.

Edited for autowrong.

I assume that's why Beta changed to the John Deere base engine, because of its continuing availability.

I always think that a Field-Marshall tractor engine would sound lovely in a narrowboat, not sure if anyone has ever installed one or whether they are suitable for the job.

Edited by Athy

I assume that's why Beta changed to the John Deere base engine, because of its continuing availability.

I always think that a Field-Marshall tractor engine would sound lovely in a narrowboat, not sure if anyone has ever installed one or whether they are suitable for the job.

Well off topic but you'r not alone on that one. Series 3A 'cause it has electric start. Even better a Lanz Bulldog hot bulb single which sounds great under load. Problem is turning the drive through 90deg. I think that It would look silly mounted 'sideways'.

Yes, I think they had the engine from the Ford Dexta tractor (which also formed the basis of the Lister CRK3). The modern ones are based on a John Deere tractor engine.

Thats correct, I have the ford one

But the Ford based BD3 has been obsolete for a good few years now perhaps 10 or more, and unlike "proper" traditional e gives, is unlikely to spawn dedicated reconditioners.

Edited for autowrong.

I would say more like 18 to 20 years. There are lots of reconditioners around at the moment, think vintage tractors so I don't see that changing for a while.

I think it was an emissions thing, the BD was to dirty

The Seffle Sv110 1 pot semi diesel but not a hit miss as a Bolinder was the nearest to a FM I had one fitted in 'Lily ' now in Jem Bates boat 'Severn' & there. was one in 'Owl' before the Kelvin, the Field Marshall was i believe a horizontal cylinder set up in the tractor similar to the 'Lanz' Tractors.

Thanks for all the input on this and especially that suggestion that it looks like a Colecraft, it's now resolved, I contacted Colecraft and received a reply from Dom who said it was:

Colecraft Shell (which they supplied to Jenkins in the earlier years)

Barry Jenkins Fit out (later on he built his own shells)

Thanks very much for the help, case closed :-)

There's a couple of boats I know of similar to this which I will pounce on if they ever come up for sale, whoever was designing Colecraft boats at that time just hit on the right combination of cabin sheer and tumblehome to create a classic look - it's more obvious with the shorter boats, the forty footers are almost all curves, very rare in a modern narrowboat. I'm sure you're doing the right thing.

Go back through the thread and see who said it was a Fuller.

Ah.

That comes as no surprise. There's two depressing aspects to that, first it illustrates just how cavalier brokers are with boat specs and second it supports what I've been saying for years, the price of narrowboats is kept artificially high by the sheer ignorance of most buyers.

• 3 years later...
On 27/10/2016 at 10:38, cutsurfer said:

Thanks for all the input on this and especially that suggestion that it looks like a Colecraft, it's now resolved, I contacted Colecraft and received a reply from Dom who said it was:

Colecraft Shell (which they supplied to Jenkins in the earlier years)

Barry Jenkins Fit out (later on he built his own shells)

Thanks very much for the help, case closed ?

I have never, ever bought a steel shell in. I built everyone myself. I would never have bought someone else's shell, so that's a load of.....?×##×:*s! Again!!! I am sick and tired of reading crap about me, stating things i have never done! 

Edited by Barry Jenkins
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Barry Jenkins said:

I have never, ever bought a steel shell in. I built everyone myself. I would never have bought someone else's shell, so that's a load of.....?×##×:*s! Again!!! I am sick and tired of reading crap about me, stating things i have never done! 

Could there be more than one 'Barry Jenkins' - it's not an unusual name - this might explain the confusion.

It's a 4 year old thread by the way.

• 3 months later...

Seems very frustrating to have someone incorrected 'name drop' a renowned builder during a sale, which turns out (at the time or otherwise) to be false.

However given the thread is now four years old I suspect there is little we can do, or the leave it as a warning to those looking for a boat to be aware that this practice appears to exist. Either because someone is misleading intentionally, or because they have been mis-lead previously and taken it in good faith.

Daniel

24 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Seems very frustrating to have someone incorrected 'name drop' a renowned builder during a sale, which turns out (at the time or otherwise) to be false.

However given the thread is now four years old I suspect there is little we can do, or the leave it as a warning to those looking for a boat to be aware that this practice appears to exist. Either because someone is misleading intentionally, or because they have been mis-lead previously and taken it in good faith.

Daniel

Fortunately Barry is still around to put us right, not like many of the first league builders.