Elusive Broadband

swift1894

Featured Posts

No it's not GSM and it is via wifi.

Wish I'd realized that before.

But I've used up my iCloud allowance now and there's still loads of photos not uploaded.

So it shouldn't happen again next month.........should it?

Btw why ain't there a cable to let me put my photos onto a memory stick direct from my iPad, like I could do with a laptop?

I think you can use the Camera adapter to plug in storage devices.

I have EE , 50 gb per month plan

We run 2 iPads, where do I find the metered option please?

I also have been running out of data recently, we are also in a marina.

I've don't understand it, but how does iCloud storage take data?

Many thanks in advance

Not sure what you mean about 'metered option'? If you want pay-as-you-go then I guess you'll need to change your contract.

Clicking http://add-on.ee.co.uk/status will show up how much you've used, if you've used up your GBs you'll be given an option to purchase more.

For backup we've got GBs on the mobile phone, if my laptop is using the mobile GBs the same link above will show mobile usage status.

Some people have their camera, laptop configured to send the image/data to icloud for storage. Therefore your quota can soon run out, especially if you like snapping pics a lot.

Thank you Rich for the tip, brilliant, when we get back to Nuneaton we'll call into the EE shop. Think our dongle is faulty, it's not recharging like it should, we've tried different usbs on laptops, tablets, and via a usb/3-pin without great success. Strangely when we got the dongle it didn't have a charger with it.

The huge Win-10 upgrade could have been the problem. It was pain in other ways too as I had to re enter serial numbers of purchased software (yes, I know I should keep these details in a safe place)!judge.gif

Thanks all for helping smile.png

Edited by Jennifer McM

I have EE , 50 gb per month plan

We run 2 iPads, where do I find the metered option please?

I also have been running out of data recently, we are also in a marina.

I've don't understand it, but how does iCloud storage take data?

Many thanks in advance

See posts #47 and #50.

There appears to be two ways to set it up, depending on the version of 10 you have.

As to iCloud using data, it only does this, if you send something to it, say a photo of 50 Mb then that is 50 Mb of your data allowance used.

If you then look at it that is more data, from your allowance.

Only use iCloud if on unlimited broadband or free Wi-Fi

Personally have never used iCloud, do my own back ups on stand alone hard drives.

Microsoft have always been an arrogant company but I have used them since DOS 1, finally wiped them from my hard drive after they seem to of decided that my PC belongs to them and they can do what they like with it whenever they like, PC almost unusable with updates, failed updates, constant reboot updates. Not only do the STEAL my data allowance, which is effectively what they are doing by not allowing me to decide when downloads take place, but they have become excessively bloated.

So have now,. :

Switched to LINUX MINT

Dropped Icloud, now backup to USB stick

I have now reclaimed my PC and said goodbye to Microsoft for good

My PC belongs to me no some arrogant tech company

Microsoft have always been an arrogant company but I have used them since DOS 1, finally wiped them from my hard drive after they seem to of decided that my PC belongs to them and they can do what they like with it whenever they like, PC almost unusable with updates, failed updates, constant reboot updates. Not only do the STEAL my data allowance, which is effectively what they are doing by not allowing me to decide when downloads take place, but they have become excessively bloated.

So have now,. :

Switched to LINUX MINT

A bit late for you now, but you can make your mobile connection into a "metered" connection and then I won't try to download updates over it.

A bit late for you now, but you can make your mobile connection into a "metered" connection and then I won't try to download updates over it.

Yes, but some updates, even some quite big ones, appear to get through anyway.

The recent "anniversary" update kept nagging and I kept declining. One morning I turned on the PC to be told that my PC had been updated. It looked like a half baked version of said update had been installed without my permission.

And have spent the last month rewriting parts of all of the software that I produce because this update has broken it. Luckily I mostly produce software for big companies and they are ALL still using win7 so I have a bit of breathing space. (except for one who still has XP)

...............Dave

So have now,. :

Switched to LINUX MINT

I wish I had you courage or knowledge

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again!

4.64Gb used up in the first 2 days, out of a 12Gb monthly mobile allowance!!

I took out another 150Gb with iCloud, as I had used up my 50Gb and had 2500 pics still not uploaded.

But now there's still only 400 pics and 43 vids on iCloud (4.4Gb........is that a coincidence, being nearly the same as what's been used this month already?)

I thought iCloud was supposed to automatically upload all my photos!?!?!?!?

I still have 149Gb available!

I've turned off as many "automatic" things as I can, to see if I can stop the usage.

Should I go offline when I'm not using Skype? Could that be the culprit?

This problem has only affected me in the last 2 months, since I joined iCloud.

Here we go again!

4.64Gb used up in the first 2 days, out of a 12Gb monthly mobile allowance!!

I took out another 150Gb with iCloud, as I had used up my 50Gb and had 2500 pics still not uploaded.

But now there's still only 400 pics and 43 vids on iCloud (4.4Gb........is that a coincidence, being nearly the same as what's been used this month already?)

I thought iCloud was supposed to automatically upload all my photos!?!?!?!?

I still have 149Gb available!

I've turned off as many "automatic" things as I can, to see if I can stop the usage.

Should I go offline when I'm not using Skype? Could that be the culprit?

This problem has only affected me in the last 2 months, since I joined iCloud.

I would go to Wetherspoons or Mcdonalds to upload the rest to the cloud on their WiFi if I was you or you will use even more data.

I would go to Wetherspoons or Mcdonalds to upload the rest to the cloud on their WiFi if I was you or you will use even more data.

Thanks. I did sit outside a free wifi spot several times last month but the photos didn't seem to upload automatically. Is there someway of monitoring the uploading so that you can see the number of remaining photos decreasing on an iPad?

Looks to me that your using your bandwidth up by synching content to iCloud. I haven't read the whole thread, is your usage through an iPad with 3\4G or through a mifi device...? When I first started using a mifi on the boat I switched off all cloud services and automatic updates as my tablet was configured to only use these features on WiFi which was fine on home broadband but not on the boat consuming mifi data allowance. I now do updates when I'm in the pub on their wireless.