Heard on the cut

Ray T

Featured Posts

It's like BBQs, men take over proclaiming that they have mastered fire and have learned to cook with it (because women have never seen fire or know how to cook)

You also need to add in a lifetime of gender stereotyping inflicted on both sexes and how the couples act with each other. Some people live the gender stereotypes all there life either by choice or by force and some people ignore it and do what they want to do.

Women have been doing a heck of a lot of things since time immortal but it's always the silly things or stereotypical things that get regurgitated time and time again by other gender stereotypes

Possibly, but women in general (with exceptions obviously) seem to repeatedly express to me that they can't judge the length of the boat and they fear bouncing the bow on the gates at the end. Not bumping the gates on the way IN. The stress this induces in women is something blokes never seem to experience, or never express anyway.

This is hard to understand. Do they habitually crash the car into the end wall of the garage at home? Probably not. So why should judging the length of a lock be any different?

Well, cars are a bit quicker and more predictable at stopping.

It's the old practice thing again. Someone who has one bad experience and is enabled, even subtly encouraged, not to try again, isn't going to get the necessary practice and experience to judge how their boat stops. Heck, I still only get it right about half the time and I still go in too slowly.

The bloke, especially if he's the boat owner, is far less likely to feel able to just give up trying, so will eventually get better at it.

It's like BBQs, men take over proclaiming that they have mastered fire and have learned to cook with it (because women have never seen fire or know how to cook)

You also need to add in a lifetime of gender stereotyping inflicted on both sexes and how the couples act with each other. Some people live the gender stereotypes all there life either by choice or by force and some people ignore it and do what they want to do.

Women have been doing a heck of a lot of things since time immortal but it's always the silly things or stereotypical things that get regurgitated time and time again by other gender stereotypes

Or in ignorance

I don't drive. I have a full motor bike licence but got fed up with people stealing my bikes (another story for another time)

The OH's brother in law had a go at steering our boat but gave up after 5 minutes saying "I don't know how you can handle one of these things but not drive a car!'

My missus doesn't want to steer simple as that. If I insist obj her steering then I'm a Tuesday person.

When there's lots of locks I feel guilty about all the hard work she's doing, & would gladly do it myself, but she doesn't want to steer & won't, it's that simple.

I suppose that's fair enough but I've found that there's always a deeper reason why she won't steer. Certainly it's true that far more women are averse and myself and others have suggested reasons for this on this thread.

Where I see a man glued to the tiller on locks while his lady dashes around the locks i just don't understand. When I'm steering and my lovely lady is locking, I'm on and off the boat all the time, joining in with the lock work. How boring must it be just to stand there looking like one o'clock half struck all the time!?

I don't drive. I have a full motor bike licence but got fed up with people stealing my bikes (another story for another time)

The OH's brother in law had a go at steering our boat but gave up after 5 minutes saying "I don't know how you can handle one of these things but not drive a car!'

Well, you're not alone. I have never had a (full) driving licence but, as those who have observed Trojan's progress will know, the boat sometimes goes where I want it to.

But don't you drive a traction engine?

Well, you're not alone. I have never had a (full) driving licence but, as those who have observed Trojan's progress will know, the boat sometimes goes where I want it to.

But don't you drive a traction engine?

I drove a traction engine once, intresting experience and not as easy as one would think

Also bloody scary :)

Yes, but it's a miniature one, as per my avatar.

A 4" to the foot scale Ruston Proctor Light Steam Tractor.

Yes, I remember now that you have told me that before.

I drove a traction engine once, intresting experience and not as easy as one would think

Also bloody scary smile.png

Drove or steered? I steered one across a rally field once, change-of-underwear job almost, but very exhilarating!

Yes, I remember now that you have told me that before.

Drove or steered? I steered one across a rally field once, change-of-underwear job almost, but very exhilarating!

Steered, turned the wheel thing and waited, panicked when it swerved too far of course, turned the wheel thing , panicked when it went too far off course etc. etc.

Much harder than I expected :)

Steered, turned the wheel thing and waited, panicked when it swerved too far of course, turned the wheel thing , panicked when it went too far off course etc. etc.

Much harder than I expected smile.png

Yes, you soon realise why there's a knob attached to the steering wheel. (No no, I mean the metal one).

It's the old practice thing again. Someone who has one bad experience and is enabled, even subtly encouraged, not to try again, isn't going to get the necessary practice and experience to judge how their boat stops. Heck, I still only get it right about half the time and I still go in too slowly.

The bloke, especially if he's the boat owner, is far less likely to feel able to just give up trying, so will eventually get better at it.

Three years ago I drove down to the marina where we keep the boat in a scalpel sharp sports car. I loaded that boat and went away for two months. Setting off, I was banging locks, drifting where the wind, any currents, and wash from other boats carried me.

Two months later I reversed back into the marina, unaffected by external factors steering to within an inch of where I wanted to go. I moored the boat barely nudging the jetty. I got off the boat, into the car which, braking aside, seemed awfully vague! (Tyres were fine before you ask!)

So it's a matter of what you are used to........

This is hard to understand. Do they habitually crash the car into the end wall of the garage at home? Probably not. So why should judging the length of a lock be any different?

OMG here's another thing were our dear lovely Mr Athy charmingly thinks it is still 1972. Who here regularly parks their car in the garage? 99.9999% of garages in the homes of my customers are used for anything BUT parking the car!

• Greenie 1

OMG here's another thing were our dear lovely Mr Athy charmingly thinks it is still 1972. Who here regularly parks their car in the garage? 99.9999% of garages in the homes of my customers are used for anything BUT parking the car!

Mrs. Athy does. She charmingly assumes that that's the purpose of the garage. Perhaps you could suggest better uses (forming bands, perhaps?)

Mrs. Athy does. She charmingly assumes that that's the purpose of the garage. Perhaps you could suggest better uses (forming bands, perhaps?)

Well, band practice is the most obvious. Second is somewhere to keep the bikes. Third is as a workshop (you should see RLWP's!) Forth is as repository for all one's junk. Fifth is convert it into a guest bedroom. Sixth, make it into a den for the brats. Seventh, potting shed. Eighth, Keep you spare vintage engines in it. Ninth, fit it out with cupboards, sink, washing machine, several freezers, and keep the lawnmower in there. Tenth, use it as a study or smoking room. Eleventh, fill it up with logs for the multifuel stove through winter..

Seen all these in real life. Can't remember when I last saw a car in one when I needed access to the gas meter.

Ah, that's the secret. We have no gas meter.

But, we do tend to live in the living room, dine in the dining room, go to bed in the bedroom, enjoy the sun in the sun room, and we're ever so kitsch in the kitschen. We use the various parts of our home for their purpose.

Ergo, we keep the car in the garage. Makes sense, you know. Mind you, it's a one-and-a-half width model, so it does have room for a fuel store (logs, coal), a bike, a workshop/storage area at the back etc. But its primary purpose is as a shelter for the car.

• Greenie 1

Ah, that's the secret. We have no gas meter.

But, we do tend to live in the living room, dine in the dining room, go to bed in the bedroom, enjoy the sun in the sun room, and we're ever so kitsch in the kitschen. We use the various parts of our home for their purpose.

Ergo, we keep the car in the garage. Makes sense, you know. Mind you, it's a one-and-a-half width model, so it does have room for a fuel store (logs, coal), a bike, a workshop/storage area at the back etc. But its primary purpose is as a shelter for the car.

You've got a Hummer.....!

Ohhhh the garage is a one and a half width model

So why is it socially acceptable to fill your garage with half your worldly goods, and then park your car in the road? Do you think the Council would let you keep your car in the garage and pile your junk in the road?

• Greenie 1

So why is it socially acceptable to fill your garage with half your worldly goods, and then park your car in the road? Do you think the Council would let you keep your car in the garage and pile your junk in the road?

That, Mr Mack, is a deep and brilliant thought. Would it not be a Good Thing if every car owner with a garage were to out all his junk using relations, Ebay, Freecycle, recycle or landfill and use the garage for garaging his (or her) car? The roads would be that much more pleasant

Jeez, we have TWO peeps here living in 1972...!!!

But as it happens, my car is in the car port. The garage is a study and all the kids' cars are parked dotted around the front garden. None on the road you'll be relieved to hear. All my junk is in one of the many sheds I also have dotted around the garden. Other sheds are for bikes, garden machinery, pottery (kiln etc) and , err... more junk.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Edit to add...

Forgot to say, and my vintage Samofa 25hp twin cylinder diesel is under a tarp on a trailer parked under the much loved oak tree.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman