Winding on the Stratford

badgerbag

Featured Posts

Does anybody know if the winding hole by bridge 5 near Warstock on the North Stratford is 50 or 60 feet? Nicholson says 60, Pearson says 50 and CRT doesn't acknowledge that it's there at all!

When I worked a pair of boats out of Birmingham in the 1970's and early 1980's there was a house on the towpath side, along with a water point - but I would never have associated this location as being a winding hole captain.gif

The house is still there, it was derelict but has been in the process of being done up for the last couple of years. There are 2 water points there and mooring bollards, I usually fill up with water there on the way into Birmingham. Whilst it is quite wide, I would not have said it was a winding hole. I would say don't plan on turning there.

The house is still there, it was derelict but has been in the process of being done up for the last couple of years. There are 2 water points there and mooring bollards, I usually fill up with water there on the way into Birmingham. Whilst it is quite wide, I would not have said it was a winding hole. I would say don't plan on turning there.

A friend of mine moored there for a bit, I will ask him if he winded there. Just contacted them on Facebook and they just managed to get their 55 footer round. So sounds like between 50 and 60 foot.

A friend of mine moored there for a bit, I will ask him if he winded there. Just contacted them on Facebook and they just managed to get their 55 footer round. So sounds like between 50 and 60 foot.

Wider than you would think then!

We've got a 55ft round in it a few years ago, I did think it would have been a struggle to get our 58ft round, we've always gone on past Shirley draw bridge and used the large winding hole there.

OK I have to ask, so why does everyone want to turn round there?

So you can turn around and cruise through Dickens Heath again?

Richard

Ah of course, some people do have good taste smile.png

But there is a winding hole just to the north of Dickens Heath anyway.

Perhaps they want the fun of going through Shirley drawbridge multiple times, the power in stopping the traffic.

Edited by john6767

The house has now been renovated, fab looking place.

Thanks everbody. We contacted CRT, still awaiting a reply, so elected for the hole between bridges 9 & 10. With the low water level it took a bit of poling to get our 60 footer around, back down by the Blue Bell for the night.

Put's me more in mind of 28 Days Later. Even if you do manage to spot someone, there's something 'undead' about them, don't you think?

We came past a couple of weekends ago on a beautiful sunny day and there was nobody in sight. You would think that some of those waterside balconies might have some sign of human habitation but no, not a soul. And that expensive water feature was not running either.