log burner

ukuleledaddy

Featured Posts

Isn't there any alternative to bolts? My Morso Squirrel isn't bolted down and the boat safety examiner mentioned it last time and with a new BSS due soon I'm worried it will fail this time. It would be hard to do without wrecking the tiled hearth the burner is standing on.

Are there no alternatives such as strong adhesives that would bond the feet of the stove to the floor without drilling the stove legs or the hearth?

Isn't there any alternative to bolts? My Morso Squirrel isn't bolted down and the boat safety examiner mentioned it last time and with a new BSS due soon I'm worried it will fail this time. It would be hard to do without wrecking the tiled hearth the burner is standing on.

Are there no alternatives such as strong adhesives that would bond the feet of the stove to the floor without drilling the stove legs or the hearth?

Araldite is immensely powerful. You could stick little wooden blocks down behind each foot and screw through the feet into them. Cast iron drills very easily. Evostick have bought out Araldite, so its now Evostick 2 part epoxy glue, same stuff.

Your BSS Examiner will check against this requirement:

Non‐portable appliances must be incapable of

unintended movement in any direction.

Securing systems must be installed on all non‐portable

appliances and securing systems and their fixing points

must be of suitable strength and must:

 show no signs of fractured mounting brackets;

 not have loose, missing or fractured bolts or nuts.

But even if you glue it down really well its only as strong as the tiles and the glue holding the tiles down. Even Araldite looses some strength when hot, though the stove legs hopefully don't get more than warm. Get a tile drill bit and carefully drill holes through the tiles.

If the Stove is not well fixed down it Will move when you crash into the end of a lock etc.

...............Dave

You also need to ensure that the installation complies with BS8511. This specifies requirements for the hearth construction, thermal insulation / fire protection, air supply and flue as well as security of mountings.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/solid-fuel-stoves/new-stove-new-chimney/

Edited by Chalky

You also need to ensure that the installation complies with BS8511. This specifies requirements for the hearth construction, thermal insulation / fire protection, air supply and flue as well as security of mountings.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/solid-fuel-stoves/new-stove-new-chimney/

No you don't. It may be advisable, but it is not mandatory. Even the page you linked to says "you can find good advice based upon the BS 8511 Code of Practice...".

One examiner grabbed hold of the stove and tried (and succeeded!) to move it slightly. He then failed the boat until I'd drilled and screwed the feet down.

Edit for tryping

Edited by WotEver

But even if you glue it down really well its only as strong as the tiles and the glue holding the tiles down. Even Araldite looses some strength when hot, though the stove legs hopefully don't get more than warm. Get a tile drill bit and carefully drill holes through the tiles.

If the Stove is not well fixed down it Will move when you crash into the end of a lock etc.

...............Dave

An ordinary drill bit (for metal) will work fine if you take it steady.

An ordinary drill bit (for metal) will work fine if you take it steady.

Didn't know that and never tried.....might it depend upon the type of tile? The tile drill bit is a very different shape to a metal drill bit. Little grinding stone in a Dremmel might be another option. Might be worth getting a similar type of tile and having a practise run first.

...............Dave

A couple of things,

You don't have to bolt it down using the holes in the feet provided. It just has to be fixed somehow, so you could bolt or weld brackets to the back and fix it to the wall.

I did come across one boat where the hearth was not fastened down so despite the stove being bolted to it wasn't safe.