How not to pass moored boats

harve90

Featured Posts

That was nice of the second boat to just push past and clear off.

Why not rescue it rather than film it.

For a boat that was supposedly speeding it wasn't producing much of a bow wave. huh.png

More likely the moored boat was not secured properly.

Its odd the second boat coming passed, or the boating doing the filming, didnt get the boat to the side during the filming.

In my experience is that its hard to tell how fast a boat is going from the bow unless it a really blunt pig, most of the wash on a narrowboat comes of the back. That said its not really the wash/waves that do the damage, its the current pulling the moored board backwards and forwards on the mooring lines which does the damage. This is why using springs (long lines fore and aft) works so well.

They are making progress and should be a going a little slower, but during daylight hours from about 9am up to maybe 8 when people are likely to be making the evening meal, I personally am happy with people passing a lot faster than they normally do and it doesnt seem stupidly fast.

I am sure that they could go past our boat, moored as I more it, without any really issues including excess movement or loosening mooring pins.

Dnaiel

I am moored on the GU tonight and this afternoon a boat towing a butty came by, we had been boating with them at Stoke Bruerne so I popped my head out to say hello, following them was an inspection launch and looking at his bows as he approached close to a row of moored boats I though, he is getting a move on. I was completely wrong, he was just ticking along, but looking at the water in his straight bow gave a different impression altogether.

From the vid i would say the film is not hand held its far to stedy and dosnt follow the boat more likly cctv thats on 24 7.

It does look like the hire boat is going to quick but at the same time looks like poor tieing up to me too. I use mooring chains or x2 blue rope on 3 lines min 1 back 1 bow 1 middle. If its has to ill stake it but with 3 if its fairly solid but if not ill take a 4th off the mast box. Might be ott but ive only ever had my boat come adrift once and at the time it was over night while on it and in extream winds gale force.

I moored opposite a marina to get a knock on the side in the morning on the opposite side i tied up poked my head out to find 3 ropes in the water and on the otherside of the canal. The wind was so strong the boat didnt even move when untied i was just direct opposite where i tied (wasnt windy when tied up) that was a long time ago as it was when mum could walk and drive as that day day mum and dad turned up and dad took over and mum took me home so i was only young. And was with just dane and not the butty.

Oh well anyways i always go ott with tieing up but apart from once its not let me down

For a boat that was supposedly speeding it wasn't producing much of a bow wave. huh.png

More likely the moored boat was not secured properly.

You can see the moored boat move astern at first and then as the hire boat draws alongside it moves forward substantially which does indicate that the ropes were slack.

I do think the Angle Welsh boat was travelling too fast but it is not wash, or the lack of it that causes movement, but the displacement of water caused by the moving boat which acts on the moored boat. More speed, more effect on a moored boat.

Howard

though most hire boats where told to pass at tickover? mind you though don't seem to teach them that at College Cruisers either. They all passed moored boats without slowing. One clouted us as we where on a VM with me standing on the roof at the time....was not best pleased but they just laughed and said these boats are hard to control....I replied that it is much easier if you slow down, especially if you cant see due to moored boats / tress / bridges etc......

though most hire boats where told to pass at tickover? mind you though don't seem to teach them that at College Cruisers either. They all passed moored boats without slowing. One clouted us as we where on a VM with me standing on the roof at the time....was not best pleased but they just laughed and said these boats are hard to control....I replied that it is much easier if you slow down, especially if you cant see due to moored boats / tress / bridges etc......

I think most responsible hire companies mention the need to drop the revs to tick over but this is all very well and I wonder if sufficient emphasis is made about the need to actually slow the boat before approaching a moored boat. Many boats will drop their revs as their bow draws level rather than at least a boat length or so before. The boat doesn't have time to slow down before it's passed, but the hirer thinks he has complied and doesn't understand why he is shouted at to slow down. Maybe a better explanation would help during the briefing?.

Howard

Edited by howardang

Oh no it wasn't

Its definitely a duplicate post but the other was made within a different thread, so its a bit marginal. In any case, its only an internet forum, not the end of the world, I left it to the mods to decide/see if they could split or merge threads etc and they've done nothing.

I think most responsible hire companies mention the need to drop the revs to tick over but this is all very well but I wonder if sufficient emphasis is made about the need to actually slow the boat before approaching a moored boat. Many boats will drop their revs as their bow draws level rather than at least a boat length or so before. The boat doesn't have time to slow down before it's passed, but the hirer thinks he has complied and doesn't understand why he is shouted at to slow down. Maybe a better explanation would help during the briefing?.

Howard

I'd have thought a normally intelligent person could work out that if the basic guideline is "slow down for moored boats" that with the momentum of a canal boat, this would mean reducing the power beforehand because it takes a little time for that to take effect. Maybe a better explanation would be that many moorers spend more time shouting at hireboats than learning to tie up properly, so hirers have instinctively learned that these moorers sense the engine speed with their ears and develop outrage above a certain rpm, rather than using their eyes/brains to figure out that other moored boats seem much more stable when passed, amongst other things like accurately judging boat speed; so a way to pacify the majority of these is to drop the rpm within shouting range of the angry moorers. There is always the slim possibility they might say something positive, and you'd want to hear this - possibly another explanation for dropping the rpm, so you can hear them.

I'd have thought a normally intelligent person could work out that if the basic guideline is "slow down for moored boats" that with the momentum of a canal boat, this would mean reducing the power beforehand because it takes a little time for that to take effect. Maybe a better explanation would be that many moorers spend more time shouting at hireboats than learning to tie up properly, so hirers have instinctively learned that these moorers sense the engine speed with their ears and develop outrage above a certain rpm, rather than using their eyes/brains to figure out that other moored boats seem much more stable when passed, amongst other things like accurately judging boat speed; so a way to pacify the majority of these is to drop the rpm within shouting range of the angry moorers. There is always the slim possibility they might say something positive, and you'd want to hear this - possibly another explanation for dropping the rpm, so you can hear them.

I agree that anyone with any boating experience would know that it relates to the speed of your boat rather than the engine rpms, but if its your first time on a boat then not necessary and as Howard says they will drop to idle only as the bow reaches the moored craft.

I agree that anyone with any boating experience would know that it relates to the speed of your boat rather than the engine rpms, but if its your first time on a boat then not necessary and as Howard says they will drop to idle only as the bow reaches the moored craft.

The laws of physics when not driving a boat, are the same as those when driving a boat. Of course, I was being a little mischievous in my earlier post. I'd say on closer inspection that until you've had a bunch of experience then yes, you might well pass boats too fast - but conversely, you might also slow down too much simply based on the "slow down past moored boats" guideline. Slowing down when reaching the bow is still slowing down (albeit less so) and it is not a force in an instant of time which cast off the boat in the video, but a quantity of impulse (force x time). Since hireboats are typically shallow drafted and indeed might be much less deep as (for example) an ex-working boat; and also shorter, then their displacement, thus water displaced during passing a boat, thus the force applied, is much lower - a smaller/lighter boat doesn't need to slow down as much as a heavier one. It is not a simple case of saying "slow down past moored boats" - the amount to slow down by varies from boat-to-boat, and the amount of time to be or remain slow is also a variable, not a constant. (Also its worth mentioning that the force applied to a moored boat due to water displacement of a passing boat, is not proportional to the passing boat's speed - there are many other factors too).