Deck boards (hexagrip)

Dave_P

Featured Posts

The boards on my cruiser stern are getting pretty worn through now. Especially in the spot where I stand (at some point I may fall through) and rain is getting into the engine bilge.

I need new boards. The one's I have now are hexagrip, cut to size with small sections cut out as lifting handles (does that make sense?) On the undersides are square wooden frames with a piece of kingspan/celotex type stuff inserted for soundproofing.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Birmingham area who could make up replacement boards for me. I have zero carpentry/joinery skills.

I cannot recommend anybody to do the work but having had to replace deck-boards in the past I have observrd that the weak points are holes cut for handles, budget lock access, fixing screws etc.

My advice is to ensure that all cut edges are fully sealed by epoxy resin or a paint system to resist attack 'from the inside'

I cannot recommend anybody to do the work but having had to replace deck-boards in the past I have observrd that the weak points are holes cut for handles, budget lock access, fixing screws etc.

My advice is to ensure that all cut edges are fully sealed by epoxy resin or a paint system to resist attack 'from the inside'

Yes. That's what's happened to mine. Lasted 15 years though, so not too bad. I should have been treating them annually I think. Lesson learned.

I would ask around Hockley Port to see who is good at woodwork

Richard

There is that. Good call. I still need to find a supplier of the board. Is hexagrip the best stuff, or is there a better choice?

There is that. Good call. I still need to find a supplier of the board. Is hexagrip the best stuff, or is there a better choice?

The stuff we have isn't Hexagrip, it might be Buffalo. Chosen because it was slightly less eye-wateringly expensive

Richard

I picked some buffalo board up on ebay to put a new step just inside the back door, not cheap, plus the stuff i got was not treated on the ends, but as its inside it didnt matter so much.

It doesnt feel as good as the stuff that was already in place on the cruiser stern though....

I can't knock buffalo board (if you treat the ends) as I have it in use on a fairground ride where it gets soaked in salt water every 4 minutes and gets around 20,000 people walking on it per year, 8 years in and it's still solid even though it's never been treated since the day it was laid.

however I do see more of the EKOPly appearing now (http://www.slpw.co.uk/ecoply.php) and wonder if that may be a way to go in the future (pricing isn't too far off buffalo / hexagrip)

At the cost of around £60 for 18mm marine ply then about £40 to add resin and grit to choice of corseness then flow coat it would be a lot better and similar cost.

Just an idea.

Colecraft at Long Itchington were very helpful when we needed hexiply replacements for our cratch wings.

They supplied what we needed (only half of an 8' x 4' board) cut it to size, and only charged us for what we used, not the whole board.

I realise it's a bit out of Brum, but if you're struggling, they are exceptionally helpful.

Rog

I had similar probs with my cruiser stern decking. A 'friend of a friend' put me in touch with a guy who 'lines out' flat bed lorries etc. Deal was I gave him dimensions and colour but had to wait while he had stock for other jobs. Delivered machine cut to sizes (I had the gas and front hatches out of the same sheet). Same issues re treating cut edges, needs epoxy then primer (not watery wood primer) then paint. Not been down a season yet so can't say if it will wear ok. But less than a third of the price of hex , looks much the same and non-slip.

As with everything if you put the word 'marine' in front and it doubles the price.

The boards on my cruiser stern are getting pretty worn through now. Especially in the spot where I stand (at some point I may fall through) and rain is getting into the engine bilge.

I need new boards. The one's I have now are hexagrip, cut to size with small sections cut out as lifting handles (does that make sense?) On the undersides are square wooden frames with a piece of kingspan/celotex type stuff inserted for soundproofing.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Birmingham area who could make up replacement boards for me. I have zero carpentry/joinery skills.

Taylor's at Knowle Hall Wharf should be able to help. Used to be Stephen Goldborough's.