moorings ? reading between the lines ?

colin1325

Featured Posts

hi i have made an enquiry recently about a mooring here is the reply

"hi colin

we do not have any residential moorings so u would not be able to use the marina address for banking etc, and we willneed a residential add. from u on taking up mooring.

we do not however restrict the number of nights u stay on your boat the only requirement is u take boat out of marina for 14 nights a year...................

• Greenie 1

Similar to BWML who before they will allow you to take a 'leisure' mooring require proof (a council tax bill in your name) that the boat is not your primary residence.

You can spend as many nights as you like on the boat as long as there are not more than 28 consecutive nights on board in the marina (take the boat out and moor up outside the entrance overnight) and then back in the next day.

You are 'covered' the marina is 'covered' and everyone is happy.

• Greenie 1

Seems straight forward.

It's a none residential mooring, and to prove you aren't resident, you must furnish a postal address.

Having done so, there is no significant restriction on staying on board, because they have proof you reside elsewhere.

I need a drink.

Rog

hi i have made an enquiry recently about a mooring here is the reply

"hi colin

we do not have any residential moorings so u would not be able to use the marina address for banking etc, and we willneed a residential add. from u on taking up mooring.

we do not however restrict the number of nights u stay on your boat the only requirement is u take boat out of marina for 14 nights a year...................

Yes this is code for yes its fine for you to live aboard unofficially, but stay under the radar, Don't go telling anyone in authority, let alone start getting your mail delivered to the marina office because we don't have planning permission for residential.

Its the marina making sure that it doesnt fall foul of its planning permission ie no/some residential berths on site

If you need an address use a friend/relation or a mail forwarding company who can supply a street address for you - look in any of the waterways publications in the classifieds under mail forwarding and you will find companies listed or mail forwarding into a well known search engine !

Its the marina making sure that it doesnt fall foul of its planning permission ie no/some residential berths on site

If you need an address use a friend/relation or a mail forwarding company who can supply a street address for you - look in any of the waterways publications in the classifieds under mail forwarding and you will find companies listed or mail forwarding into a well known search engine !

Point of order M'Lud.

Getting a mail forwarding address is NOT the same thing as having a valid address to put on your driving licence or to exercise your right to vote.

We have the mail forwarding address on our driving licences. I checked it with DVLA and

they are fine with it. As is TV licencing.

Val

Interesting, I stand corrected thanks!

How do you handle your car insurance requirements for an address at which the vehicle is kept?

We CC and don't have a car! Very useful when need to prove who we are, it needs to be the same as bank accounts then it's two forms of ID sorted.

Val

hi were actually trying to get away from it! dont like cars or most of the people that are now driving them

surely if u have bank accounts with online banking b4 moving on board all u need to do is give bank forwarding add. and that would b sorted ?

There is also a difference between nominating an address an official body can use to communicate with you, and giving a home address.

When an official body (ins co, policeman, bank etc) asks where your live, they want your home address not somewhere you pick up your mail from.

Boat insurance know we CC and accept our correspondence address as do banks. They want a "street address" and will not accept a PO box address for example. We have no need of regular correspondence with the police.

Regarding proof of identity I was making a general point. You may need to in the future. A passport is also very useful for this and is much easier to renew if you have a driving licence.

If you want to register to vote you need to prove your identity. We used passport and driving licence.

Val

Boat insurance know we CC and accept our correspondence address as do banks. They want a "street address" and will not accept a PO box address for example. We have no need of regular correspondence with the police.

Regarding proof of identity I was making a general point. You may need to in the future. A passport is also very useful for this and is much easier to renew if you have a driving licence.

If you want to register to vote you need to prove your identity. We used passport and driving licence.

Val

To vote you have to have a street address, so an article on R4 was saying the other day.

ISTR it was a Geenham common peace protester making the point in the programme that she found herself unable to get onto any electoral roll whilst living in a portable tent.

To vote you have to have a street address, so an article on R4 was saying the other day.

ISTR it was a Geenham common peace protester making the point in the programme that she found herself unable to get onto any electoral roll whilst living in a portable tent.

Local Connection

I find it very interesting and somewhat undemocratic that itinerants cannot vote as they have no address. I suspect they took your driving licence address and put you on that electoral roll.

Local Connection

Yes you're right, but the gist of the R4 article was that a local connection isn't enough when you try to use it to get on the electorla role. Or the subject of the programme failed in that anyway.

Not true about requiring a street address to be able to go on the Electoral Role/vote

Put into Google 'voting with no home address' (I would copy paste but the site wont le me do it for some reason !) and the first link tells you all you want to know.............. even includes those living on a boat

I find it very interesting and somewhat undemocratic that itinerants cannot vote as they have no address. I suspect they took your driving licence address and put you on that electoral roll.

Yes you're right, but the gist of the R4 article was that a local connection isn't enough when you try to use it to get on the electorla role. Or the subject of the programme failed in that anyway.

Not true about requiring a street address to be able to go on the Electoral Role/vote

Put into Google 'voting with no home address' (I would copy paste but the site wont le me do it for some reason !) and the first link tells you all you want to know.............. even includes those living on a boat

Its partly true - I think tillergirl tried to register for the last general election, and failed.

Think this is the link http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register-to-vote/registering-to-vote-with-no-fixed-address