winter moorings

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

The list seems to have reduced from last year, I know the one I was looking at isn't available - I've emailed CRT regarding. These changes every year and lack of moorings is not good.

Edited by Robbo

The list seems to have reduced from last year, I know the one I was looking at isn't available - I've emailed CRT regarding. These changes every year and lack of moorings is not good.

And some that attracted no takers last year remain on the list.

And some that attracted no takers last year remain on the list.

Out of interest, which ones, please?

I ask, because I thought I had heard it indicated that sites where there were no takers last year would in most cases not be offered this year.

Out of interest, which ones, please?

I ask, because I thought I had heard it indicated that sites where there were no takers last year would in most cases not be offered this year.

The two that came instantly to mind are Bloomfield Stop and Watery Lane, both at Tipton. I think Watery Lane may have had one taker.

• 4 weeks later...

The pricing seems a little odd on some of them.

The Kiln pontoon moorings in the centre of Newark with water and electric £6.50 per meter per month yet Torksey Lock with no services and a fair bus ride away from any shops etc, is £13.50 per meter per month.

• 4 weeks later...

Paying a bribe so that the trust overlooks the law, naughty naughty !

Totally illegal.

Just throwing that cat in amounst the pigeons !

An illegal bribe which many CCers (and home moorers) seem happy to keep paying.

Wasn't there someone who was going to challenge the legality of it all? With the hope of a refund over all the years they've paid out?

The pricing seems a little odd on some of them.

The Kiln pontoon moorings in the centre of Newark with water and electric £6.50 per meter per month yet Torksey Lock with no services and a fair bus ride away from any shops etc, is £13.50 per meter per month.

My mooring 300 yards downstream at Kings Marina is £12.50 per metre per month - I was tempted to cancel my mooring and take a 'Winter Mooring' instead, but I figured that Car Park, Showers, waste bins, Elsan, & secure gates had some value.

An illegal bribe which many CCers (and home moorers) seem happy to keep paying.

Wasn't there someone who was going to challenge the legality of it all? With the hope of a refund over all the years they've paid out?

Yes it probably a good idea for those who don't want to cruise in winter, we can't afford it, but its still illegal even if you did agree to it, it would be a civil contract, which being based on illegality would be null and void, and should be refunded. The C&RT should have refused to do it until the law was in place to allow it, like any sensible organisation would. In theory they would have to repay every winter mooring fee from day one, that's the down side of acting unlawfully, just like tax fraud for instance, the HMRC won't let you off because it was long ago, or you thought what you did was legal. Claiming everyone has "accepted" the idea doesn't make it legal either.

If a boater challenges the legality of their winter mooring, and gets the money refunded, doesn't that mean that, having had no home mooring during the period, they will retrospectively be deemed to have been CCers? And since they will have remained in one place for more than 14 days, CRT will be entitled to refuse to renew their licence?

If a boater challenges the legality of their winter mooring, and gets the money refunded, doesn't that mean that, having had no home mooring during the period, they will retrospectively be deemed to have been CCers? And since they will have remained in one place for more than 14 days, CRT will be entitled to refuse to renew their licence?

I don't think its as black and white as that. I don't see it as a case of "I am a CCer all year round, but in the winter I take a winter mooring". I see it as a CCer for the 7 or so months they have no mooring, and as a home moorer for the 5 winter months. In other words, they are buying a mooring for those 5 months, not "protection money" for avoidance of getting punished for staying in one place >14 days.

Given that CRT were satisfied at the time that it was a mooring, then they cannot retrospectively change that - even if the charge made is later deemed illegal.

But then, if the winter mooring charge is deemed illegal, it is worth comparing it to any towpath-side long term mooring - surely there is almost no difference between the two, except for the time of year/duration of such mooring.

Moored at Westport Lake at present where winter mooring signs have been put up so out interest looked to see how much. There were two asterisks against it so scrolled down to see what it meant to also see this comment

*Liverpool Salthouse Docks, available for full period (5 months only) only. Liverpool Link must also be booked in advance (last passage October 31st) and all winter moorers must leave the site on March 1st, when the Link will open for a short, fixed period to allow permit-holders to exit. Please contact the local North West waterway office for further information.

I know it's a long time since I left school but is that not 4 months?

If anyone thinks its not illegal please set out your reasons.

I wouldn't know if it is legal or not but it appears to be a catch 22 situation to me.

A number of CCers seem to welcome the chance to stay in one place over the winter otherwise absolutely no moorings would be sold.

On the other hand if the "its illegal camp" win they are condemning those who welcome the winter moorings to moving when they would prefer not to.

My inclination would be let sleeping dogs lie. But then I don't see everything that CRT do as sinister and to be stopped at all cost.

• Greenie 2

My mooring 300 yards downstream at Kings Marina is £12.50 per metre per month - I was tempted to cancel my mooring and take a 'Winter Mooring' instead, but I figured that Car Park, Showers, waste bins, Elsan, & secure gates had some value.

That's not a bad price.