Survey failure - worthless boat- any advice?

Featured Posts

Here's a boat that was in for blacking last week. Had a hull survey with spot welding of pits recommended, pressure washed and then just as the blacking brush was being used in anger.....

https://youtu.be/snG2rzxF6TE

Internal steel water tank was split (Owner knew)and had been installed wedged up against the hull, which it had worn through almost completely.....luckily the boat was in the dry dock when the last bit of steel gave way.

This could be my neighbours boat, his water tank leaks and a couple of times a week his bilge pump comes on for 10 or 15 minutes and the boat rises a couple of inches. He seems perfectly happy with this longstanding situation.

Phil

The boat will only sink if any vents or drain holes go too far below level. You could block them and redo them a bit higher. Personally I'd get hold of a grinder and measurement instrument and take loads of readings to see where the land lies. A knackered hull is easy to spot but sounds as if your boat needs a think safety layer. Then just move the vents up a bit.

Thank you all (quick replies!) I think we'd be happy to get anything for it at this point. Any advice on where to sell it as a project boat if we did go that route? It's only just below the 4mm thickness so if someone was happy just to insure third party it certainly isn't about to sink. I hadn't realised that 3rd party was possible in this situation.

The older Springers were often built new with 3mm plate so if yours is near 4mm then I don't think you would have a problem other than possibly full insurance cover I'm sure some one would take it on try an advert on Apollo Duck

The older Springers were often built new with 3mm plate.

Are you sure about this (except for the roof)? I thought that it was the later Water Bugs (built from the late '80s till 1994) which had, as standard, 3mm plate throughout.

Are you sure about this (except for the roof)? I thought that it was the later Water Bugs (built from the late '80s till 1994) which had, as standard, 3mm plate throughout.

I'd say the core obtained when I drilled a 30mm hole through the hull of Starcoaster's Springer was 5mm.

I'd say the core obtained when I drilled a 30mm hole through the hull of Starcoaster's Springer was 5mm.

Yes, that sounds about right.

Is she aware that you have drilled this hole? Is 'Springy' still afloat?

Yes, that sounds about right.

Is she aware that you have drilled this hole? Is 'Springy' still afloat?

Yes. She was in the saloon with her head buried in cushions and whimpering while I did it.

She was impressed with the resulting core though. Wears it on a silver chain now!

Scared Stiff, I'm looking at my first purchase, is this broker to be avoided or just make sure you get your own survey to cover "buyer beware".. Can you mention excellent brokers on this forum??

Welcome!

Which broker do you mean?

Yes best to get your own survey by a surveyor of your own choosing as less ethical brokers might persuade you to use their pet surveyor, who will obviously not want to kill the golden goose by issuing a bad survey on a dodgy boat.

The thing about brokers is though, that you can't judge a boat by the broker. Some will reject the obvious junk but the broker doesn't do a survey of his own before listing a boat, whatever sort of reputation the broker has. He will just list it and leave you the buyer to make whatever enquiries you wish prior to offering.

'Bad' brokers will try to manipulate you with tricks like saying you can't survey the boat until you've placed a deposit on it, or even have a test run. Or pressure you into using their own surveyor. 'Bad' brokers get their poor reputation from their unethical business practices rather like estate agents do, not because they necessarily sell bad boats.

Spelling edit.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

After intense reading, boat search and reading between the lines ******* brokers was identified and low and behold 32ft Springer with an exact name at similar price with the plating of 2012 etc. being mentioned in the sales document.

Where can I get a list of "independent surveyors in the area" ??

Scared Stiff, I'm looking at my first purchase, is this broker to be avoided or just make sure you get your own survey to cover "buyer beware".. Can you mention excellent brokers on this forum??

Make sure you get your own survey, with your own surveyor (not one recommended by the broker) and talk to the surveyor face to face. Ask directly who owns the boat (is it really on brokerage or is it owned by the company selling it to you). This particular boat must be owned by the broker as we sold it to them a month ago, and we wonder whether the same was the case when we bought her (from the same broker), even though they told it it was a brokerage boat (no way of proving it but the broker's name was on the survey and the sales documentation did not name a private vendor. Remember that brokers are salesmen, not your friend. I would personally not buy from this company again, but I guess it is wise not to name names. The above advice is probably sensible for any purchase...

Make sure you get your own survey, with your own surveyor (not one recommended by the broker) and talk to the surveyor face to face. Ask directly who owns the boat (is it really on brokerage or is it owned by the company selling it to you). This particular boat must be owned by the broker as we sold it to them a month ago, and we wonder whether the same was the case when we bought her (from the same broker), even though they told it it was a brokerage boat (no way of proving it but the broker's name was on the survey and the sales documentation did not name a private vendor. Remember that brokers are salesmen, not your friend. I would personally not buy from this company again, but I guess it is wise not to name names. The above advice is probably sensible for any purchase...

Also remember that when buying a boat owned by the broker then you have strong legal rights, in that it MUST be exactly as advertised and 'fit for purpose', if it is found nor to be so then you have a period of time to 'reject it' and get your money back.

This is why few brokers (especially xxxxxxx) rarely admit to owning the boat.

If you buy the boat thru' a broker, but it is owned by a 'private individual' then you have no recourse at all - Caveat Emptor